CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 01-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Default panel distance from sink

I can't seem to find a code in the nec that states a minimum distance from a sink. Can someone help me out? Thanks

goooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
BBQ
Salty Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by goooch View Post
I can't seem to find a code in the nec that states a minimum distance from a sink. Can someone help me out? Thanks
Other than the workspace requirements in 110.26 I don't think you will find anything.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Not knowing the location of the sink and what the sink is used for 110.11 may apply.
MasterE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

thanks for the help guys. i wasnt sure if there was a code about it but felt like there should be. im gonna recommend to the homeowner that we should still keep more of a distance from the sink just for their own safety cause they want it literally right next to the utility sink in the garage.
goooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
thanks for the help guys. i wasnt sure if there was a code about it but felt like there should be. im gonna recommend to the homeowner that we should still keep more of a distance from the sink just for their own safety cause they want it literally right next to the utility sink in the garage.

Right next to the utility sink is ok, as long as there's 30" from the sink to any other obstruction .
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,366

I agree with goooch-- move it from the sink. Nothing non compliant but you don't need water splashing on the cover and rusting it up over time.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,032

Quote:
So other than the cover rusting, what is the grave danger IYO?
The NEC obviously sees no problem.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Registered Member

I don't see the cover rusting. I'd bet the same paint is on 3R panels as a Nema 1

mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote