CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 06-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Panel location

Does anybody know what article in the NEC states that the main breaker panel cannot be located in a bedroom or kitchen? I found where it states that the bathroom is not permitted, but cannot find the actual entry about closets, bedrooms, etc. Thanks guys.

Bamaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaboy View Post
Does anybody know what article in the NEC states that the main breaker panel cannot be located in a bedroom or kitchen? I found where it states that the bathroom is not permitted, but cannot find the actual entry about closets, bedrooms, etc. Thanks guys.
As long as you meet the requirements of art.110.26 you can install the panel in the bedroom or the kitchen.

Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
As long as you meet the requirements of art.110.26 you can install the panel in the bedroom or the kitchen.
Definitly, done all the time.
acmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

I see it that way all the time.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy View Post
, but cannot find the actual entry about closets, thanks guys.
240.24 (d)
Old 06-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

As long as you have the clearance in front, it doesn't matter (except for the bathroom) I have seen plenty of apartments with panels in kitchens, bedrooms and closets.
Archania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archania View Post
As long as you have the clearance in front, it doesn't matter (except for the bathroom) I have seen plenty of apartments with panels in kitchens, bedrooms and closets.
You shouldn't see them in closets.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archania View Post
Maybe in California they are in closets but not in most parts of the country unless they haven't been inspected. Like this one-- you see lots of things but they may not be legal.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Maybe in California they are in closets
In California we put the panels outside on garage wall. When we do need a subpanel, closets make a nice location. As long as they are not "clothes" closets or used to store "easily combustible materials" you are good to go.

That is an illegal plumbing installation. The plumber should have known not to install a toilet in front of a sub panel like that.
knowshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowshorts View Post
In California we put the panels outside on garage wall. When we do need a subpanel, closets make a nice location. As long as they are not "clothes" closets or used to store "easily combustible materials" you are good to go.

That is an illegal plumbing installation. The plumber should have known not to install a toilet in front of a sub panel like that.
It's a water closet not a clothes closet or used to store "easily combustable materials" only portable and mobile ones
rlc3854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
Registered Member

If you meet working space requirements, and there is no clothes rod or shelf in the closet, it will pass in VA. Technically, no clothes rod, no closet. But I still never put them there.
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,174

Quote:
Maybe in California they are in closets but not in most parts of the country unless they haven't been inspected. Like this one-- you see lots of things but they may not be legal.

Dennis. Please tell me the lady of the house has a nice picture to cover that up.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
Dennis. Please tell me the lady of the house has a nice picture to cover that up.
Well John I can't remember. I think there was a picture over it but it was many years ago. Interestingly enough the install was done by an inspector who was working part time as an electrician. The old 3 wire se cable to the stove was also in this sub panel.