CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #1

Default Power Outage Question?

Hi, I am a resident of a Condo community, we had a power outage yesterday and half of the power in my condo went out. The microwave above the oven went out, the oven stayed on, the refrigerator was still on, the living room was out, 1 bedroom was out, AC was out, bathroom and one bedroom were up, hallway/washer/dryer were still on.

What could be the reason for only half of my condo going out, and some items in the kitchen were out but not others? Is it bad wiring? No fuses were blown, and the power came back up within three hours. THanks in advance

Last edited by rbjones6; 07-28-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #2

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbjones6 View Post
Hi, I am a resident of a Condo community, we had a power outage yesterday and half of the power in my condo went out. The microwave above the oven went out, the oven stayed on, the refrigerator was still on, the living room was out, 1 bedroom was out, AC was out, bathroom and one bedroom were up, hallway/washer/dryer were still on.

What could be the reason for only half of my condo going out, and some items in the kitchen were out but not others? Is it bad wiring? THanks in advance
You are likely missing on "leg" of your incoming power. Are all the circuits that are not working on one side of your panel? If so you are only energizing one bus in you panel.

Your first step should be to call a licensed electrician

"fool-proof systems do not take into account the ingenuity of fools"
Old 07-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRick View Post
You are likely missing on "leg" of your incoming power. Are all the circuits that are not working on one side of your panel? If so you are only energizing one bus in you panel.

Your first step should be to call a licensed electrician
The microwave was down, but the stove/fridge were up, and they reside on the same side of the panel. The AC was down, 1 bedroom was down, 1 bedroom was up, and the AC was down, and they reside on the same side of the panel. This has been happening quite often during electrical storms, and these condos are brand new, about one year old. One of my neighbors in the building had the same problem yesterday, half of their power was out, and the same appliances.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #4

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators/Admin of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

As stated in the sign up page, ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php
Closed Thread