CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 09-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default prevailing wage

my job is a Government job. I am a licensed journeyman electrician. Is there a prevailing wage on a Government job in FL.?

Boat Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat Man View Post
my job is a Government job. I am a licensed journeyman electrician. Is there a prevailing wage on a Government job in FL.?
Depends on the type of project county, state or federal and where you fall in line.

Most likely you should be getting prevailing wage, check the job trailer or where ever the mandatory posted labor laws are. Ask the super, ask the federal inspector.

brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Yes, there are prevailing wages in Florida. There are also Unions in Florida. I know that a lot of non union companies, are trying not to pay prevailing wages by reclassifing works as labors. Call a local Union and ask them, they will know the job and if it is.
one2question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Registered Member

Davis bacon by state & county.

Davis-Bacon by State
slickvic277 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slickvic277 For This Useful Post:
Boat Man (09-21-2010)
Old 09-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

I know that electricians who work for federal, state, and county entities here do not make the PW. Its quite a bit lower. They are represented by the afscme and seiu here. They are also allowed COMP-time, legally that is.

Only public contracts over a certain size are subject to Davis-Bacon, little davis-bacon, etc. (to the OP.) You are not a contractor.
miller_elex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
Registered Member

Just wanted to add, I know the federal govt hires guys on for certain amounts of time, then they have to re-up. They do work in-house, and are paid the PW. I think it is because they are independent contractors.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2question View Post
Yes, there are prevailing wages in Florida. There are also Unions in Florida. I know that a lot of non union companies, are trying not to pay prevailing wages by reclassifing works as labors.
This is very true.

I saw this back in New Orleans. All the helpers were trying to get put on the prevailing wage job.

Their jaws dropped when they saw their checks after that first week. The company prick sent out a letter informing them that if they were not in school as an indentured apprentice, they would not receive prevailing wage pay.

This did not stop the company from utilizing them as electricians, though. They were still running pipe, pulling wires, and making connections.

On the last prevailing wage job I was on, we had over 60 "electricians". The GC came down hard on who was actually certified. Tensions were high, there were only about 2-5 actually licensed journeymen on the job it turned out.
Frasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2question View Post
Yes, there are prevailing wages in Florida. There are also Unions in Florida. I know that a lot of non union companies, are trying not to pay prevailing wages by reclassifing works as labors. Call a local Union and ask them, they will know the job and if it is.
Some try to do that here as well but for the most part it is heavily policed and difficult to get away with.
Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #9

I had a contractor classify be as a low voltage technician for a year and paid me $28.50, I ran emt for the ems wiring for hvac control's for over a year, pretty much on a rooftop all day long everyday doing a couple of prisons. Turned out I was supposed to be getting the wireman's $48. The foremen tipped me off because he was being paid the correct wage and the owner was such a **** he threatened to renig on an agreement the two had man if the the guy didn't put two free hours in a day. That's how much time it took to check in and out of the prisons each day. The owner did not estimate that into a 8 month job.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
Registered Member

Any conduit work is considered to be the high-rate.

Depending on the locale, HVAC controls might be the high-rate.

It would be great if energy management could be broken out completely from the other low-voltage categories on the PW schedule.

Not trying to mess with contractors here, if you all have to bid the high-rate for hvac controls, then there is more money to be made in the markup.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkessler View Post
I had a contractor classify be as a low voltage technician for a year and paid me $28.50, I ran emt for the ems wiring for hvac control's for over a year, pretty much on a rooftop all day long everyday doing a couple of prisons. Turned out I was supposed to be getting the wireman's $48. The foremen tipped me off because he was being paid the correct wage and the owner was such a **** he threatened to renig on an agreement the two had man if the the guy didn't put two free hours in a day. That's how much time it took to check in and out of the prisons each day. The owner did not estimate that into a 8 month job.
Did you get the back pay?
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
This is very true.

I saw this back in New Orleans. All the helpers were trying to get put on the prevailing wage job.

Their jaws dropped when they saw their checks after that first week. The company prick sent out a letter informing them that if they were not in school as an indentured apprentice, they would not receive prevailing wage pay.

This did not stop the company from utilizing them as electricians, though. They were still running pipe, pulling wires, and making connections.

On the last prevailing wage job I was on, we had over 60 "electricians". The GC came down hard on who was actually certified. Tensions were high, there were only about 2-5 actually licensed journeymen on the job it turned out.
If you are going to play by the rules it applies to both sides.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Did you get the back pay?
Damn straight I did, 2500 hours worth, you do the math. Got it in less than a week. He tried stalling but I wouldn't stand for it, He had big payout's for a few guys. I considered myself very ceaser chavez like. I enjoyed it, he was the biggest prick I ever met in this industry. He didn't have one slacker and he treated everyone including/especially his top two guys the like garbage.
We would see him every once in a while spying on us in the morning. And we had those on the job electronic time clocks. It was the on the job time clocks that did him in. He put one in the prisons by are container and one one the roof where we worked. When he realized how long it took to get though the sally port everyday he went insane, blamed us, said we should get there early.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Here in Florida it is not so heavily monitored. Even after you bring it to the attention of the electricans doing the work, they don't believe you still. A local Union had signs and people handing out fliers and the workers where either scared or something. Plus you had people saying look at those union guys causing trouble. I'm shocked at how many contractors that say they can't make money on a prevailing wage job because of wages.
one2question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic277 View Post
Davis bacon by state & county.

Davis-Bacon by State
Slick, I wasn't sure about your claims about ABC trying help repeal the davis bacon act, but I was browsing through one of their published magazines and they claimed a "victory" in assisting Florida...and I think Utah in repealing the Davis Bacon act. Not sure when it was, but it seems like things have changed since by the sound of it.

I'm still not exactly sure of the controversy, I worked for a non-union company...heh...that sent us to ABC school while I worked on a prevailing wage job. It sure makes the workers happy, that's for sure.

What goes on, on the "high" end, in terms of bidding and budgeting, I haven't a clue.
Frasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
What goes on, on the "high" end, in terms of bidding and budgeting, I haven't a clue.
It depends on what state you are in, and then what county you are in.

PRAY TO GAWD when on davis-bacon that you don't get stuck on low voltage, they get paid in tiny peanuts.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Frasbee;291096]Slick, I wasn't sure about your claims about ABC trying help repeal the davis bacon act, but I was browsing through one of their published magazines and they claimed a "victory" in assisting Florida...and I think Utah in repealing the Davis Bacon act. Not sure when it was, but it seems like things have changed since by the sound of it.
It's one of there main focuses.
http://www.abcnm.org/Join_ABC.aspx

Straight from the website.
Quote:
seek repeal of the Davis-Bacon Act,
Others here will accuse me of being an ardent kool aid drinker. I've been around the block a few times I have in my possession the ABC manual "bullet points and topics" it reads like a union busters hand guide.

Quote:
I'm still not exactly sure of the controversy, I worked for a non-union company...heh...that sent us to ABC school while I worked on a prevailing wage job. It sure makes the workers happy, that's for sure.
Yeah, while you were on the davis-bacon job. Did the schooling continue after the job? They only sent you there so they could pay you the lower apprentice wages. Do you think that the ABC would continue an apprentice school if they were successful in repealing the prevailing wage laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller_elex View Post
It depends on what state you are in, and then what county you are in.

PRAY TO GAWD when on davis-bacon that you don't get stuck on low voltage, they get paid in tiny peanuts.
It must vary state to state, county to county. Here all electrical work falls under the "electricians" scale.

slickvic277 is offline   Reply With Quote