CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 10-16-2007, 08:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Default Prometric Masters Test

Any tips?? Taking masters test tomorrow. Anyone know some questions on there??? PLEASE!!!

Nosparxsse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-16-2007, 11:34 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 2,328

There's usually one about adding X number of receps to a house, what does that do for the service calculation. A: 0.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:46 AM   #3

Took the test Wednesday! It was a good test of one's knowledge. Several load calculations. A lot of code references (silly stuff).

One on there made me chuckle.

What is the green wire on a service for a mobile home?

A. Neutral
B. Grounded
C. Grounding
D. Ungrounded

Just thought it was funny, I was sittin there thinkin if someone misses this question they should go back to being an apprentice.

Man I hope I passed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nosparxsse For This Useful Post:
Mshow1323 (07-15-2013)
Old 10-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosparxsse View Post
Took the test Wednesday! It was a good test of one's knowledge. Several load calculations. A lot of code references (silly stuff).

One on there made me chuckle.

What is the green wire on a service for a mobile home?

A. Neutral
B. Grounded
C. Grounding
D. Ungrounded

Just thought it was funny, I was sittin there thinkin if someone misses this question they should go back to being an apprentice.

Man I hope I passed.

How about this question:

"What color is the green ground screw?"

Hope ya passed, too!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
Town Drunk

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Man I hope I passed.

I just wanted to say, good luck. We're all counting on you.

It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:27 PM   #6

[quote=JohnJ0906;10583]I just wanted to say, good luck. We're all counting on you.
QUOTE]

Well I got a 72% sorry I let ya'll down. needed a 75% 3 points. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I am going to get it next month come hel1 or high water!!!!!!!

3 points!!!!!!1
Old 10-28-2007, 09:23 PM   #7
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosparxsse View Post
Well I got a 72% sorry I let ya'll down. needed a 75% 3 points. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I am going to get it next month come hel1 or high water!!!!!!!

3 points!!!!!!1
Don't feel bad. The test is designed to make you fail. That's how they stay in business. Once you pass, you're no longer a potential customer any more.

But kudos on getting right back in the saddle.

Here's a couple things I remember from when I took the test (it was 6 hours back then... I've heard it's 4 now):

Take each question individually. Unless it specifically references another question, this can trip you up. For instance, you may have 3 questions in a row about rigid metallic conduit (fill, # bends in a run, etc.). They will then ask you a fourth question, usually about the max. distance for support, for rigid non-metallic conduit.

Did you catch it? There's two types of conduit in that last paragraph. Rigid metallic and rigid non-metallic. You go merrily along answering questons about RMC, and you don't even notice those 3 letters, 'non'. Your book is open to Art. 344, but you need to look in 352 (PVC) for the last question.

Another trick I've seen them use is to give you a diagram. The one on my test had a feeder with 3 motors (1hp 3, 5hp 3 and 10hp 3), along with disconnects, OCDs, controls, etc. The problem was to calculate the minimum feeder size for those three motors. Easy, right?

Well, the very next page had the same diagram, again with three motors (1hp 3, 5hp 3, and 10hp 1) and all the other stuff, but they tack on, say, 21KW of lighting. NOW recaculate the minimum feeder size. Sounds simple, doesn't it? Just take 21,000, find the proper place in your math to plug it in, and start pushing buttons on your calculator for the answer.

Now, did you catch that little trick? Look closely at the third motor for each question. 10hp 3 for the first one, 10hp 1 for the second. Big difference! Enough to make the answer one or two wire sizes more.

Don't take too much time agonizing about a question you just can't answer. If you're absolutely stumped, skip over the question and come back to it....time's wasting! I recall some questions I just couldn't find in the Codebook, but 10 questions later I found them! If you still don't have a clue, SWAG it. You aren't penalized for guessing. If it's mutliple-choice, a SWAG answer is still 25% right.

And lastly, don't be afraid to state you believe a question does not contain the correct answer. The test are written, after all, by humans, and we all know none of them are perfect. I remember one simple question that had two loads in series. It was an Ohm's law question... first year stuff. Applied voltage and the ohms value of each load was provided. They wanted to know the amperage across one of the loads. I did my math four times, and the answer just wasn't there. (Series circuit, so 'I' should be the same no matter where!) If I figured the problem with the loads in parallel, the answer was one of the choices. So as I turned in my test, I told the proctor there that I believed there was an error. I filled out a form (actually I filled out eight of them) for questions I honestly felt were not right. They have a name for the form, but I can't recall what it is. I also had a question regarding an Article in the Code that existed in the previous edition, but not in the current one being used by the test!

A wordy resonse, I know, but I hope this helps you!
Old 10-28-2007, 11:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post

A wordy resonse, I know, but I hope this helps you!
I don't feel bad, I feel prepared!!! for the next one.

I apprreciate the help!

The questions that really tick me off are the ones I will never use like the communications stuff. The one question that stumped me on that one was the Max voltage applied to RG-6? I knew it was in there, but just couldn't find it. Until I got out to my van, opened the NEC book again, and vuwalla!!! took me all of 5 seconds to find..... There it is 60 Volts. I know I missed that one.
My last instructor I had gave us the Tom Henry exams, practice tests. They are very good at letting you know the off the wall stuff. Good practice. I got an 86% on my journeymans test.
I am gonna schedule my next test sometime this week. That should put me testing around 14 of Nov. I look at it as that much more time to learn. Cram study pray.........