CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-28-2009, 11:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Pull box size

concerning pull boxes. is there a rule of thumb to extend the size of a pull box beyond the minimum requirement?
This is in Chicago.

Tonyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-28-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyv View Post
concerning pull boxes. is there a rule of thumb to extend the size of a pull box beyond the minimum requirement?
This is in Chicago.
it all depends on the conductor size and raceway size. anything 4 and above needs a calculation

electricalperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
Master Electrician

i dont have a code book handy so this is all off the top of my head. for a straight pull its 8 times the size of the largest raceway plus the sum of all the others in the same row. for angle pulls its 6 times the largest raceway size plus the sum of all the others in the same row and U pulls is 6 times the largest raceway

Old 03-01-2009, 12:14 AM   #4

thank you. i should have been more specific. for the angle pull, the distance between the conduits enclosing the the same conductors also must be 6 times the dia. of the largest conduit. a 36" sq. box will not be big enough for (4) 4" emts coming in from two sides when you take into account the fittings and locknuts.
so should 1" or more always be added to the size of the box as a general rule or is this something that is usually worked in the field. i'll look for answer tomorrow.

Last edited by Tonyv; 03-01-2009 at 12:23 AM. Reason: going to bed
Old 03-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #5

BIGGER is always better with pull boxes. Do not be ridiculous but oversizing is in 99% of the cases well worth the added expense.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #6

thank you
Old 03-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Wire Ninja

The calculations will often yield a box size that doesn't even exist. I would tend to go the larger box size that is in stock someplace. If you're doing something special inside it, like racking conductors on insulator racks or making taps, then the depth you'll need should be taken into account as well. From a marketing standpoint, the bigger junction boxes are a way to add value to the job (sizzle) for very little expense. "Wow, they must be doing some good work. Look at the size of those junction boxes".
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
BIGGER is always better with pull boxes. Do not be ridiculous but oversizing is in 99% of the cases well worth the added expense.
what he said.
paul d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
Wire Ninja

I've come to believe that some guys have made it their personal mission in life to use the smallest legal pull box (and device box, for that matter), for everything they do. I don't think they realize that they've caused themselves 100 dollars worth of aggravation to save 50 dollars. Not to mention, if you scuff a pull trying to work with too small of a junction box, you're screwed. I'm all for saving money, but a for the cost of the next larger pull box, I'm willing to spend the couple extra bucks.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #10
Master Electrician

the fomula i gave you is straight out of the NEC. the NEC is minimum standards. like brian and marc said bigger is always better. the 36 inch box is minimum. if your pulling in 500s or 600s then a box thats bigger is always needed to make life easier
Old 03-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
Wire Ninja

Oh, by the way... if any of you guys are the one's who jam a chunk of 2x4 into overhead junction boxes to hold the conductors in so you can get the cover on, I hate you. It's been twice lately that I've been clobbered by lumber falling out of a junction box as I take the cover off.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Oh, by the way... if any of you guys are the one's who jam a chunk of 2x4 into overhead junction boxes to hold the conductors in so you can get the cover on, I hate you. It's been twice lately that I've been clobbered by lumber falling out of a junction box as I take the cover off.
Not to laugh at you BUT I have Taken the skin off my nose more than once.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post

I agree with this 100%.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
that was SOP for many years.

paul d. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pull box size