CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 09-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #1

Default PVC MC cable in pvc conduit under slab?

Can PVC coated MC cable be installed in pvc conduit under a concrete slab. I want to connect multible 12"x12"x6" floor boxes together that have a recp. box in the floor box. Kind of a box in a box set up. The larger box is for an compressed air line and L.V. cables. The recp. will be in an 4"x4" JB.
I will use pvc coated MC for wet location.

nealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #2

I hope so, I did it about ten years ago to reach the chairs for dentist office.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
Former sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealla View Post
Can PVC coated MC cable be installed in pvc conduit under a concrete slab. I want to connect multible 12"x12"x6" floor boxes together that have a recp. box in the floor box. Kind of a box in a box set up. The larger box is for an compressed air line and L.V. cables. The recp. will be in an 4"x4" JB.
I will use pvc coated MC for wet location.
It depends on the location, you can't do that in NY.
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
Bilge Rat

If by PVC coated MC cable you mean TEK cable (I'm pretty sure it is), I don't know how many thousands of feet of it I've pulled into conduit at power plants. All sizes, from small control cable to big stuff, 750 MCM 15 KV. Many times multiple cables in one conduit. No inspector has ever questioned it so far.

It's very common to go from a cable tray down to PVC conduit under a road or something, then back up into the tray again. It's just as common to go from a cable tray down underground to a transformer or switchgear in conduit.

It doesn't pull very easy dry, soap helps a lot.

Rob
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #5

Thanks for the info.

I also know it as garage decking mc.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #6

A dentist office is what I'm using for.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:28 PM   #7

Yeah you kind of need mc for that since you have know way of knowing how it's going to hook to the chairs. YOu could use flex but there is not enough room to negotiate with.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:02 PM   #8

It is going to terminate in a recp box in the floor. It is a demo area for sales of dentist equipment. I'm going to use a weather tight box for the recp.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #9

well that was certainly presumptuous of me.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:43 AM   #10

just wondering, what kind of fitting will you use once the mc is in the junction box or is that the box in a box thing you were referring to, and is the sheath on your mc rated as a ground, im thinking hospital grade mc with the redundant ground might be a better choice but if its just a demo then no biggy

Last edited by racerjim0; 09-06-2008 at 07:12 AM.
racerjim0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #11
nap
a real PITA

You state it is a demo unit. Does that mean it is not going to be fully funtional as a dentist chair and used? If not, ou need to be careful using MC in this app. Med treatment facilities have some special rules and there is only 1 MC cable that fits this bill (Southwire MC AP).

AC cable is acceptable in these locations but until the recent intro of Southwires MC AP, no MC cable was listed for use in a patient treatment area.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #12

I always say MC even when I am using AC the stuff I used ten ten years ago was the green ac cable with the extra ground. Although I remember thinking that the green paint would impede the ground. I actually have never seen pvc coated mc.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
nap
a real PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkessler View Post
I always say MC even when I am using AC the stuff I used ten ten years ago was the green ac cable with the extra ground. Although I remember thinking that the green paint would impede the ground. I actually have never seen pvc coated mc.
I have fun with the AC/MC thing when working a med job. Somebody will say go grab that MC. I'll come back empty handed and they ask where is the MC. I tell them I couldn;'t find any in all those rolls of AC cable. Then they want to argue that it's MC so I go get a tag and show them it's AC. Just my way of being a **** at work once in awhile
Old 09-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #14

all I know is that the manufacturers sure are proud of that little aluminum wire, it raises the price of a roll $110
racerjim0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #15
nap
a real PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjim0 View Post
all I know is that the manufacturers sure are proud of that little aluminum wire, it raises the price of a roll $110
is the TO $110 or ADDS $110?

It has to be ADDS $110.

WOW!! You ain't kidding there.

I am going to have to go price shopping. I have never really compared the price of AC to MC or this new MC AP stuff. Curious to see how it all compares.

Until this MC AP stuff, there was no alternative to AC but presumably it is more expensive than MC since that is what is used everywhere except where AC is required to meet codes.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:55 PM   #16

No it is for a demo area only. It is a dentist supply shop, no medical care.
It is not functional for use just demo .
Old 09-09-2008, 12:55 AM   #17
nap
a real PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealla View Post
No it is for a demo area only. It is a dentist supply shop, no medical care.
It is not functional for use just demo .
then I do not believe MC AP or AC would be required. You might want to talk with the inspector to be sure before installing anything though.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #18

Thanks to everyones input,. Great site for help!