CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 06-10-2010, 01:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Default Question about Journeymans Test and formulas used

I was told that these book are what im allowed to use on the Journeyman's test and that you're are not allowed to have formula notes. My question is does any of these books like maybe the NEC Handbook have formulas in them? If not thats like 100's of formulas im going to have to memorize.

allowed books

NFPA 70 - National Electrical Code, 2005, National Fire
Protection Association (NFPA), (800) 344-3555,
www.nfpa.org, ISBN 0877656231
Code of Federal Regulations - 29 CFR Part 1926 Revised as
of 2008 (OSHA), Superintendent of Documents, (888) 293-
-OR- Code of Federal Regulations - 29
CFR Part 1926 Selections as of 2008 by PSI, (800) 733-9267,
(See order form at the end of this bulletin.)
NFPA 70E - Standard for Electrical Safety in the
Workplace
, 2004, National Fire Protection Association
(NFPA), (800) 344-3555, www.nfpa.org
National Electrical Code (NEC) Handbook, 2005, National
Fire Protection Association (NFPA), (800) 344-3555,
www.nfpa.org, ISBN 0877656258

Golden Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-10-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
Infiltrator

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Arc View Post
I was told that these book are what im allowed to use on the Journeyman's test and that you're are not allowed to have formula notes. My question is does any of these books like maybe the NEC Handbook have formulas in them? If not thats like 100's of formulas im going to have to memorize.

allowed books

NFPA 70 - National Electrical Code, 2005, National Fire
Protection Association (NFPA), (800) 344-3555,
www.nfpa.org, ISBN 0877656231
Code of Federal Regulations - 29 CFR Part 1926 Revised as
of 2008 (OSHA), Superintendent of Documents, (888) 293-
-OR- Code of Federal Regulations - 29
CFR Part 1926 Selections as of 2008 by PSI, (800) 733-9267,
(See order form at the end of this bulletin.)
NFPA 70E - Standard for Electrical Safety in the
Workplace
, 2004, National Fire Protection Association
(NFPA), (800) 344-3555, www.nfpa.org
National Electrical Code (NEC) Handbook, 2005, National
Fire Protection Association (NFPA), (800) 344-3555,
www.nfpa.org, ISBN 0877656258
The NEC Handbook is full of examples, explanations, and formulas.....

Widestance_Politics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:18 AM   #3

They let you bring in the handbook? Wow
Geoff C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 2,572
Send a message via ICQ to wildleg

100's of forumulas ? you gotta be kidding. there's only 4 that I can think of that you need to know

ohms law E=IR
resistors in parallel Rt=1/(1/r1+1/r2...)
voltage drop vd=2kil/kcmil
power =VA

and using 1.73 when necessary
Fatal error: Using $this sht!ck when not in object context in /home/electric/public_html/includes/functions_newpost.php(1471) : eval()'d code on line 1 will turn your hair gray or give you veracities or maybe something even worse !
wildleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
Fried Bologna um um good!

Rewards Points: 2,000

All we got to use was the nec and they supplied it. You could not bring anything but a pencil or two.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #6

When I took the journeyman's test all I was allowed to bring was a photo ID everything else was provided code book, calculator, pencil, scrap paper and you would not get your test results unless you turned the scrap paper.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
Fried Bologna um um good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by william1978 View Post
When I took the journeyman's test all I was allowed to bring was a photo ID everything else was provided code book, calculator, pencil, scrap paper and you would not get your test results unless you turned the scrap paper.

Yep I had forgot about that. But they did let us bring our own pencils. I had forgot my id so Angela had to go ask the cheif if I could start and have someone bring it to me. He knew me so he said "you can this time"
Hell I didn't plan on taking it but once anyway. I passed the first try.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildleg View Post
100's of forumulas ? you gotta be kidding. there's only 4 that I can think of that you need to know

ohms law E=IR
resistors in parallel Rt=1/(1/r1+1/r2...)
voltage drop vd=2kil/kcmil
power =VA

and using 1.73 when necessary

And Xc, Xl, It, Ic, Ir, P, PF, Ec, Er,Z, VarsC and etc.

So at least some of these are in the handbook for sure?
Old 06-13-2010, 12:47 AM   #9

Can anybody else confirm that there are formulas in the handbook?
Old 06-14-2010, 12:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by william1978 View Post
It's still the same way, at least a month ago. Actually, I wasn't even allowed pens or even my wallet. They provided a dry erase board and markers for calculations. Or are you talking about some sort of jman exam seperate from the one from the NCBEEC?

OP, there are sample calculations in the back of the code book, if those are what you are asking for. Not formulas per se, but sample range calculations.

Last edited by millerdrr; 06-14-2010 at 12:32 AM. Reason: clarification
millerdrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerdrr View Post
It's still the same way, at least a month ago. Actually, I wasn't even allowed pens or even my wallet. They provided a dry erase board and markers for calculations. Or are you talking about some sort of jman exam seperate from the one from the NCBEEC?

OP, there are sample calculations in the back of the code book, if those are what you are asking for. Not formulas per se, but sample range calculations.

I looked at the examples in the back of the Code book but i didnt see any specifically for finding Xl, Xt, Xc, Z, P, etc.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,228

Man, things have changed since I tested. I took my Masters first. Never took a journeyman's test ever.
8 hours, Tom Henry reminders nicely inserted into my three ring binder code book, along with "Keyword Index", transformers and calculations books in my book bag, calculator with ohms law circle sticker on back. I never touched the stuff in the bag as I was afraid they would see me (450 people testing together, all crafts).
Without Tom Henry I doubt I would have passed on the first try.

In SC when I took the test, if you went through the contractors association you took the masters regardless if you had a JW or not. If you went through the municipal association you had to take both. Our instructor had everyone on the right page first class. He even had us pick a test date and all of us signed up, paid and had a test date picked before the third class. The ones that were not serious naturally left the class on day two.

OP......The things I spent the most time on were never asked in the exam. I was blind sided all day long. I took many educated guesses. Just remember to not leave any questions blank. If you guess, at least you have a chance of getting it right. I think I got lucky on several calculations.

Get plenty rest the night before and do not study too much that night. If you don't know it buy the last night you just don't know it. Good Luck!

John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote