CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 09-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Question on average rate per hour

I am doing a speech in my speech class to inform them how to replace a outlet.
I was wondering if someone can point me in the direction on where I can find an average rate per hour someone would charge. If there is a web page or something like that will work.
I am electrician but in the military so it is hard to price it.
Thanks,
Dan

Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I think legit company's are charging anywhere from 65 per man hour and up.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 102

It's too regional an issue to give you a price, unless someone here is in your area. Someone may charge $25/hour, another may be $125.

If you didn't exercise your right to vote, you lose your right to complain.
480sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

I charge $25.00 and hour for anything over the first hour. I charge $85.00 for the first hour or any part of the first hour.
waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by waco View Post
I charge $25.00 and hour for anything over the first hour. I charge $85.00 for the first hour or any part of the first hour.
So, youre retired and do this for grins, right?

I know common laborers that make over $20.00/hr and they don't have any overhead and get medical and other benes from their employer. How do you pay for all that at $25.00/hr?
itsunclebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
Wanna full-time job?

I'll make a killing paying you 25 clams an hour as contract labor, then I charge my usual $75 an hour.

I five years, I'll be sitting on the beach, sippin' Piña coladas all day.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #7

I am in the new mexico area.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #8

I don't have employees and I don't have helpers and I try not to compete with what I call "on-line" companies. Yes, I'm retired, but that doesn't mean I'm dead.

When I need other trades, I include their cost in the cost to the customer. Mostly carpenters and finishers.

$25.00 an hour isn't bad where I am. The big companies where paying $9.50 an hour just a few years ago.

I hope when you are my age, you'll still be able to do some of this stuff -- and know your limitations as I know mine.

Dano, New Mexico has got to be like West Texas where wages are horrible. I haven't been out there in a very long time, but working people are way down the ladder out there. "Trickle down" in action.

Last edited by waco; 09-07-2008 at 10:29 AM. Reason: add a note to Dano
Old 09-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
Wanna full-time job?

I'll make a killing paying you 25 clams an hour as contract labor, then I charge my usual $75 an hour.

I five years, I'll be sitting on the beach, sippin' Piña coladas all day.
No, I long ago quit working for opportunists. Just have no need for them or their work. That is why I encourage young electricians to always look toward the day they can be on their own.

That said, I charge $85.00 for the first hour or any portion of the first hour. A majority of residential service calls take less than an hour. On bigger jobs, I charge what I said, but it remains my contention that very little of commercial and residential work is worth more than $25.00 an hour.

Let's face it, commercial and residential are highly repetitive work -- meaning, doing the same task over and over again. Industrial isn't, but I stay away from that mess.

Last edited by waco; 09-07-2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: remove derogatory line.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
..... but it remains my contention that very little of commercial and residential work is worth more than $25.00 an hour.
It's worth what the customer is willing to pay. So if I charge $75 an hour and the customer pays it, then that's what it's worth.

The Following User Says Thank You to 480sparky For This Useful Post:
Teaspoon (08-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #11
DGFVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
I am doing a speech in my speech class to inform them how to replace a outlet.
I was wondering if someone can point me in the direction on where I can find an average rate per hour someone would charge. If there is a web page or something like that will work.
I am electrician but in the military so it is hard to price it.
Thanks,
Dan
Rephrase the question to "How long would take to replace an outlet" and you will get a better answer.
Try doing one and time yourself. Then do the math.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #12
"A" inside wireman

Send a message via Yahoo to randomkiller

Quote:
I don't have employees and I don't have helpers and I try not to compete with what I call "on-line" companies. Yes, I'm retired, but that doesn't mean I'm dead.

When I need other trades, I include their cost in the cost to the customer. Mostly carpenters and finishers.

$25.00 an hour isn't bad where I am. The big companies where paying $9.50 an hour just a few years ago.

I hope when you are my age, you'll still be able to do some of this stuff -- and know your limitations as I know mine.

Dano, New Mexico has got to be like West Texas where wages are horrible. I haven't been out there in a very long time, but working people are way down the ladder out there. "Trickle down" in action.

Do you have insurance? Do you pull a permit at $25 and hour?
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #13

You are absolutely correct Waco, Wages for skilled labor and trades in West Texas & Eastern New Mexico are very low compared to the national average excluding a few (very few) companies. I occasionally do contract work @ 75.00 hr with a 150.00 minimum plus expenses ( if required).
ohmontherange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:00 PM   #14
Contractor

i charge AU$110 for first hour or part thereof, and AU$77 per hour after that. For larger construction/renovation jobs where there are considerably more hours on each job, i charge a flat rate of AU$66 per hour to the builder because of the volume of work.
People in Sydney get charged anywhere from $50 to $90 per hour. I'm aiming for the halfway mark on the hourly rate.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #15
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
i charge AU$110 for first hour or part thereof, and AU$77 per hour after that. For larger construction/renovation jobs where there are considerably more hours on each job, i charge a flat rate of AU$66 per hour to the builder because of the volume of work.
People in Sydney get charged anywhere from $50 to $90 per hour. I'm aiming for the halfway mark on the hourly rate.
That works out to roughly $89, 62, 53, 41 and 73 UD$, respectively (at exchange rates at the time of this post).

Old 09-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #16

I have insurance and I pull permits when required. I just don't need to rip people off to make it.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:17 AM   #17

Different strokes for different folks. Seriously though I will pay you 26 an hour if you want to move to socal.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:17 AM   #18
Golden Controls

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to dowmace Send a message via Yahoo to dowmace

I don't do resi on a normal basis, but when I do commercial the first hour for one man is $55 every hour after that is $45 per man. If the job is an industrial normal service call it's going to be $105 per hour plus $75 per additional man required. If it is going to be a technical service call such as motor controls expect me to charge $145 for the control technician I'll send out (normally myself). And of course if it is a PLC trouble call and I have to bring out my laptop expect me to charge $185-$235 depending on the customer, if its a steady customer I'll charge them the lower $185 if it's a new customer and I think it's a going to be a one shot deal $235 all the way.
dowmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #19

Quote:
I have insurance and I pull permits when required. I just don't need to rip people off to make it.
You had me till you made this statement, we are not ripping people off, it is a fair price based upon an agreement between contractor and customer.

My time in training and skills in solving problems others cannot is worth something. In addition I have over 1/2 a million in test equipment then there are the trucks, warehouses and employees. I charge a fair rate for a quality service and the customer understands my rates going into the job.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to brian john For This Useful Post:
adroga (01-22-2013), bruce6670 (08-07-2011), carryyourbooks (04-21-2013), leland (08-07-2011), Privateer (01-23-2013), Sparky305 (04-19-2013), Teaspoon (08-07-2011), yrman (04-17-2013)
Old 09-08-2008, 10:10 AM   #20
Wyome

Rewards Points: 530

I charge 65 for a journeyman and for apprentice it is based on their status. New hires I charge 25 but then I start them at 14.5. There is no way I could cover expenses charging 25 an hour for an electrician. I would pay 24-30 for a journeyman depending on skill level. I think I am still low in this area. Other shops charge starting at 75. I could not even afford a vehicle if I charged 25.
This is a hot spot right now though. Lots of oil and gas money around.

te12co2w is offline   Reply With Quote