reverse feed transformer - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 06-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
child please.....

Rewards Points: 14
Default reverse feed transformer

Can you feed a transformer with 240 3 phase on the secondary and get 480/277 out of the primary?...In other words use it as a step up transformer, even though it's a step-down transformer...

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
BBQ
Salty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaTigaBait View Post
Can you feed a transformer with 240 3 phase on the secondary and get 480/277 out of the primary?...In other words use it as a step up transformer, even though it's a step-down transformer...
Unlikely you can get 277 out of it but yes on the 480.

The high voltage side of it will likely be delta and not have a 'HO' terminal for the neutral.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Yeah. Not sure about code though
Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
child please.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Unlikely you can get 277 out of it but yes on the 480.

The high voltage side of it will likely be delta and not have a 'HO' terminal for the neutral.
Ahhh thats right...THanks Bob.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

They do make transformers for this application.
user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
child please.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D View Post
They do make transformers for this application.
I assumed that, it was a curiosity question. I saw this at a job and was curious why they would do it.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,006

Generally it's a bad idea.

1. No neutral in most cases, unless the primary happened to have a center tap.

2. Inrush current can be excessive, and cause OCP trips at startup.

3. In the event of a catastrophic failure, very large fault currents can be generated.

4. Wrong (low) voltage. All transformers will have some voltage drop caused by winding resistance at full load.. The engineers design the transformer to produce the desired voltage by compensating. Backfeeding will cause the compensated winding voltage drop, plus additional voltage drop. So your output could be 10% below what you expect at full load.

Was born in HACKensack, NJ
CraigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigV View Post

4. Wrong (low) voltage. All transformers will have some voltage drop caused by winding resistance at full load.. The engineers design the transformer to produce the desired voltage by compensating. Back feeding will cause the compensated winding voltage drop, plus additional voltage drop. So your output could be 10% below what you expect at full load.

Typically we see that issue on small transformers (though I cannot give a precise size range). With larger transformers all the other issues you mentioned, plus it messes up the the thought process for about 97% of the electricians that run into a transformer with a grounded delta or ungrounded delta.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
BBQ
Salty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigV View Post

1. No neutral in most cases, unless the primary happened to have a center tap.

2. Inrush current can be excessive, and cause OCP trips at startup.

3. In the event of a catastrophic failure, very large fault currents can be generated.

4. Wrong (low) voltage. All transformers will have some voltage drop caused by winding resistance at full load.. The engineers design the transformer to produce the desired voltage by compensating. Backfeeding will cause the compensated winding voltage drop, plus additional voltage drop. So your output could be 10% below what you expect at full load.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
Typically we see that issue on small transformers (though I cannot give a precise size range). With larger transformers all the other issues you mentioned, plus it messes up the the thought process for about 97% of the electricians that run into a transformer with a grounded delta or ungrounded delta.
OTH I have done it myself, have seen it done by others in the compaines I have worked for and come across it done by strangers and in each case it was working fine.

Square Ds position is it is not recommended (they would rather sell another trans) but not prohibited.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,406

Quote:

I did it years ago (not my idea/design) to feed a huge Ac unit the size of a trailer. They ordered 480 and only had 208 on the property. Their solution was a transformer running 24/7 even though the church was only occupied generally on Sundays.

The company the built the transformer told me it works either way but, If I wanted a label stating 208 to 480, it would cost an extra $300 or so.

I paid for the label and the transformer only lasted a year. They sent a replacement....with the 480 to 208 label . They swore to me that it was the same exact unit.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #11
child please.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
I did it years ago (not my idea/design) to feed a huge Ac unit the size of a trailer. They ordered 480 and only had 208 on the property. Their solution was a transformer running 24/7 even though the church was only occupied generally on Sundays.

The company the built the transformer told me it works either way but, If I wanted a label stating 208 to 480, it would cost an extra $300 or so.

I paid for the label and the transformer only lasted a year. They sent a replacement....with the 480 to 208 label . They swore to me that it was the same exact unit.
Lol...It all about the dollars...
Old 06-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #12
conduit dude

Rewards Points: 252

i've done that for some domestic water pumps in a high rise. they got new pump skids with 480 motors and only had a 240 service. worked well.
azsly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
i got a call a few years ago from a coworker on a job where they tried to do it as temp for something (i forget what). they failed to realize the input/output amps would be reversed and toasted the xfmr
Old 06-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #14
I void warranties

Rewards Points: 2,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ

OTH I have done it myself, have seen it done by others in the compaines I have worked for and come across it done by strangers and in each case it was working fine.
It's very common for me too.

Sent from my Droid

Jlarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlarson View Post
It's very common for me too.
Used to be, now Siemens and SqD I know both have 45 and 75 kva 208Delta 480y/277 tranny at the same price as the 480Delta 208y/120's.