CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 01-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,034
Default Romex jacket color codes

Type NM-B cable first began to be manufactured with color-coded jackets in 2001 to aid in identification of the conductor size. The color code that was introduced, which continues to be used today is as follows:

14 AWG – White
12 AWG – Yellow
10 AWG – Orange
8 AWG – Black
6 AWG – Black

This color coding system was developed to aid those who sell, install, and inspect Type NM-B cable so that the cable size can easily be identified, to reduce mistakes resulting from the use of an incorrect conductor size.

It should be noted that this color coding system is not a requirement of NFPA 70, National Electrical Code® (NEC®) or UL 719, Safety Standard for Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable. Type NM-B can be produced and sold without using this color code. As such, the print legend, which is required by the NEC®, should be used to verify the conductor size.

Extracted from NEMA Bulletin 94

MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

We still get some #10 spools that are still white from the company warehouse or the supply house. Most inspectors don't seem to care.

sparkysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,180

On my way to a job wiring switches, I grabbed a 1/2 roll of 12/3,(white ).Used it anyway for 3 ways.(15 amp lighting)
bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I was out of residential for about 15 years, and the color coded romex was one of the changes I really liked, along with the fact that the wire is smaller and easier to work with.
Mountain Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:15 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkysteve` View Post
Most inspectors don't seem to care.
They really have no choice but to not care. As Marc stated, there is no code to enforce with regard to this.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation Color coding

Well, I have noticed that you can buy (only in bulk, 200 ft or more) 14, 12, 10, 8, or 6 ga wire in black or white at Platt Electric.
Hillbilly Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:50 PM   #7
village idiot

Rewards Points: 160

Anybody else noticed the color coded wire seems to be causing a rash of helpers that seem to not care what size the wire is or even about how to properly identify what it is?

"What wire should I pull over here, white or yellow?"
"Number 12"
"huh? white or yellow?"
"nevermind, yellow............"

Jeff
piette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:14 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is there supposed to be color coding on type mc cable as well?
Old 12-07-2008, 12:46 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,002

In Ontario we also have blue 14/2 romex which is to be used for arc fault protected circuits in bedrooms
cdnelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:51 AM   #10
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkessler View Post
Is there supposed to be color coding on type mc cable as well?
Dunno 'bout supposed to but there usually is.

An inked band with colors on the outside of the jacket every 6 feet or so (convenient eh?)

Back to the OT it is like purple pvc primer.(say that 3 times) You can get it clear but when that is what the plg inspector is looking for, why make life harder. Dunno if that is plg code or not tho.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnelectrician View Post
In Ontario we also have blue 14/2 romex which is to be used for arc fault protected circuits in bedrooms
Now that,I like.
bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000

Is it just me or is the yellow NMC (12-2) harder to pull? Seems like the sheath is "gummier" than the old white.
waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,184

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Type NM-B cable first began to be manufactured with color-coded jackets in 2001 to aid in identification of the conductor size. The color code that was introduced, which continues to be used today is as follows:

14 AWG – White
12 AWG – Yellow
10 AWG – Orange
8 AWG – Black
6 AWG – Black

This color coding system was developed to aid those who sell, install, and inspect Type NM-B cable so that the cable size can easily be identified, to reduce mistakes resulting from the use of an incorrect conductor size.

It should be noted that this color coding system is not a requirement of NFPA 70, National Electrical Code® (NEC®) or UL 719, Safety Standard for Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable. Type NM-B can be produced and sold without using this color code. As such, the print legend, which is required by the NEC®, should be used to verify the conductor size.

Extracted from NEMA Bulletin 94
Okay.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #14
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 2,314

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
Okay.

If it cannot be produced or sold without those colors, it sure can be installed.

A long time ago, I started using about 3-4 feet of 12-3 between the disposal switch and the recep so I could have a split-wired recep under the sink. I did this so one half the duplex would be hot all the time for a future hot-water dispenser. I went out and bought several rolls of 12-3 at a time when it was still white. I still have 4 full rolls and the better part of another roll still sitting in the shop.

I also still have some 10-2 and 10-3 that is white.... just waiting to get used up. I've installed some for ACs and dryers, and the inspector dinged me for it until I showed him the jacket markings.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #15
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
A long time ago, I started using about 3-4 feet of 12-3 between the disposal switch and the recep... I went out and bought several rolls of 12-3 at a time when it was still white. I still have 4 full rolls and the better part of another roll still sitting in the shop.
Do you pull individual 12-2's for the SABC's? Using 12-3 would sure burn up those rolls before too long.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #16
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanMD View Post
Do you pull individual 12-2's for the SABC's? Using 12-3 would sure burn up those rolls before too long.
Absolutely. I just use the 12-3 between the disposal switch and duplex. Black is hot, red gets switched.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #17
village idiot

Quote:
If it cannot be produced or sold without those colors, it sure can be installed.

A long time ago, I started using about 3-4 feet of 12-3 between the disposal switch and the recep so I could have a split-wired recep under the sink. I did this so one half the duplex would be hot all the time for a future hot-water dispenser. I went out and bought several rolls of 12-3 at a time when it was still white. I still have 4 full rolls and the better part of another roll still sitting in the shop.

I also still have some 10-2 and 10-3 that is white.... just waiting to get used up. I've installed some for ACs and dryers, and the inspector dinged me for it until I showed him the jacket markings.
Have you checked the expiration date on that wire? It's probably well outdated by now and no good to use.

Jeff
Old 12-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 25

Yes, I have had that happen. You buy from one supplier (Nexans) which sells in colors and apprentices go brain dead and cant tell 14 awg from 12 awg when you buy from the supplier that only sells white NMD. Colored wire is no different than anything automatic that save us from thinking.
personal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #19
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piette View Post
Have you checked the expiration date on that wire? It's probably well outdated by now and no good to use.

Jeff
Um, what expiriation date?

You mean you completely rewire houses every 10-15 years?
Old 12-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #20
village idiot

Quote:
Um, what expiriation date?

You mean you completely rewire houses every 10-15 years?
You saw the wink right?

Although that might be a way to keep regenerating business for ourselves, an expiration date for wire

Jeff