CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 11-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 528
Default Samsung mini split units

So, about 23 months ago, I wired a Samsung AQV 18JA mini split unit. Got my money, unit worked fine, everyone was happy.

Today I get a call that its not working right, and it's my fault. Apparently, I was supposed to run shielded cable for the control circuit from the outdoor unit to the indoor unit. I can not find anything in the manual about what kind of wiring needs to be run between the two units.

So, other than telling the customer that it's worked for 2 years and I don't see how it's my problem...

Has anybody else had an issue with a mini split unit needing shielded cable before?

Podagrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Dr Evil

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podagrower View Post
So, about 23 months ago, I wired a Samsung AQV 18JA mini split unit. Got my money, unit worked fine, everyone was happy.

Today I get a call that its not working right, and it's my fault. Apparently, I was supposed to run shielded cable for the control circuit from the outdoor unit to the indoor unit. I can not find anything in the manual about what kind of wiring needs to be run between the two units.

So, other than telling the customer that it's worked for 2 years and I don't see how it's my problem...

Has anybody else had an issue with a mini split unit needing shielded cable before?
I just roughed in for one and the supplier supplied 14/7 CT cable, I have seen hack HVAC contractors run 14/4 SJ between units, in the past i have run 12/4 romex.

Shockdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podagrower View Post

What do they mean by shielded cable? I usally don't run the wire for the control circuit,the HVAC guy does but they always run 14/3 rx for it.
robnj772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnj772 View Post
What do they mean by shielded cable? I usally don't run the wire for the control circuit,the HVAC guy does but they always run 14/3 rx for it.
For the mini splits, somehow the cabling between the outside unit and inside unit has become the electricians problem in our area. I don't mean standard thermostat wiring. After you land the 208 at the outdoor unit, you need to take 208, and 2 or 3 other wires (depending on the unit) to the indoor unit. The 2 or 3 wires are varying voltages.
Podagrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

From my understanding, and I may be wrong, but the cabling from outside in is done in 14ga with 3 conductors. I've seen it done with 14/3 romex 99% of the time sleeved thru carflex. And isn't the voltage converted to DC on the indoor unit?
heartlessmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartlessmcfly View Post
From my understanding, and I may be wrong, but the cabling from outside in is done in 14ga with 3 conductors. I've seen it done with 14/3 romex 99% of the time sleeved thru carflex. And isn't the voltage converted to DC on the indoor unit?
Yea,that is what is done around here.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartlessmcfly View Post
...NM romex is not rated for wet locations even if installed in rigid conduit and sealtite
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
Ambassador of Amps

Rewards Points: 2,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltz View Post
...NM romex is not rated for wet locations even if installed in rigid conduit and sealtite
If I wire my outdoor speakers with romex, did I create a code violation?

~matt

Advertising space available. Inquire within.
TOOL_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
Dr Evil

The "thhn" inside romex is the same "thhn" wire that is in MC. Who's to say that stripping back the plastic sheath and installing a transition to where romex enters the outside relm is not code compliant?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #10
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdoc View Post
The "thhn" inside romex is the same "thhn" wire that is in MC. Who's to say that stripping back the plastic sheath and installing a transition to where romex enters the outside relm is not code compliant?
thhn is not rated for outdoor use, thwn is. See table 310.13(A) look up thhn and look under the application provisions column 08 code page 142

As side note, often the wire is dual rated thhn/thwn, you have to check

Last edited by voltz; 11-10-2010 at 08:37 PM.
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via ICQ to kbsparky Send a message via AIM to kbsparky Send a message via Yahoo to kbsparky

Conductors inside of romex are not labeled, nor are they dual-rated.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
Dr Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltz View Post
thhn is not rated for outdoor use, thwn is. See table 310.13(A) look up thhn and look under the application provisions column 08 code page 142

As side note, often the wire is dual rated thhn/thwn, you have to check
It's hard to say or prove anything since 9 out of 10 times, the conductors inside MC and NM cables are unmarked. On a sidenote, I just ran 14/3 NM in PVC to an outdoor ceiling fan mounted under a deck. Where is water going to enter my conduit system? Yes in the old days of sleeving EMT with sill plates I can see the need for UF use but certain applications should not require a transition to UF. I do't know of any inspector who will drop my fan to ensure I used UF anyway, the don't even open up devices on me.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #13
Dr Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
Conductors inside of romex are not labeled, nor are they dual-rated.
They are the same that is used in MC, strip open both cables and compare. Question is, what type of conductor is it?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #14
Registered Member

Ok well I only stated that the HVAC guys use 14/3,When I have to run that particular wire I use UF

BUT

The rx in a wet location is a different debate and isn't going to solve the OP's problem.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdoc View Post
I just roughed in for one and the supplier supplied 14/7 CT cable, I have seen hack HVAC contractors run 14/4 SJ between units, in the past i have run 12/4 romex.
12/4 romex i've never heard it called that
Old 11-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #16
Dr Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampman View Post
12/4 romex i've never heard it called that
12/4 w ground, 14/4 w/ ground , red,white, black, blue and bare ground. Lately the stock has been white black, red, wht/red tracer w/ bare ground. Where have you been ?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #17
Dr Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnj772 View Post
Ok well I only stated that the HVAC guys use 14/3,When I have to run that particular wire I use UF

BUT

The rx in a wet location is a different debate and isn't going to solve the OP's problem.
The 14 CT cable that came with my current install is a good product to use. Now here is a question, Inside unit is over 6' in hieght off floor, does it require a disconnect below 6'. I have gotten two sides to this one, I personaly wire it straight from the outside unit.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 25

I've never put a means of a disconnect on the indoor unit
heartlessmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 2,724

Does the abreviation rx mean nm/romex?
bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #20
Ambassador of Amps

Rewards Points: 2,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
Does the abreviation rx mean nm/romex?
I am betting so, because it is so hard to type romex - or nm

~Matt

Advertising space available. Inquire within.
TOOL_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote