CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Wyome

Rewards Points: 500
Default seal offs

Does anyone know of a site where I could get a look at different sealoffs? I might have to bust one off and keep the wire in there and pull another pair. 3/4" or 1". It would be real handy if someone makes a sealoff in two pieces that could be bolted back together and still maintain integrity of the location. I'm not seeing much online. Thanks

te12co2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
BR549

Rewards Points: 2,048

http://www.appletonelec.com/pdf/I%202-3%206thru16.pdf

Check out page 3

jrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
nap
a real PITA

I have never seen a 2 piece seal off. Not sure they actually make the beast. Not sure why they couldn;t but haven't seen one.

the best I can tell you is (obviously with power off) is to take a small pick and carefully pick out the cement. You can start with a beater screwdriver or small chisel but be careful as the conductors may be quite close to the plug opening.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Wyome

Thanks for the replies. The appleton site, (I forgot appleton actually made explosion proof stuff), had a bunch of good pictures but not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not sure anyone makes it either, but I'm hoping. I found a mention of something like this last night. Crouse-Hinds retro fit. No part number or picture yet.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Crouse Hinds makes retrofit seals. Cat.# EYSR2 = 3/4", EYSR3 = 1". Check out www.crouse-hinds.com
Okie Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

A dremel tool and some cutoff wheels will split it in half for you. But you would still need to find the parts to fix it.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #7

A 4" angle grinder will be quicker, just take care not to cut the conductors in the conduit. If you can get to two sides of the pipe, cut most of the way through on two sides of the pipe. Then take two hammers and place one over the groove on one side of the pipe and smack the other side of the pipe over the other groove. It shouldn't take too much "persuasion" to split the old seal. Lots of luck.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Sparky View Post
A 4" angle grinder will be quicker, just take care not to cut the conductors in the conduit. If you can get to two sides of the pipe, cut most of the way through on two sides of the pipe. Then take two hammers and place one over the groove on one side of the pipe and smack the other side of the pipe over the other groove. It shouldn't take too much "persuasion" to split the old seal. Lots of luck.

If you don't have a grinder handy, you can bust 'em out with just 2 shop hammers as long as you can get to both sides of the pipe. Then use a Crouse EYSR.
Mountain Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
Wyome

Quote:
Crouse Hinds makes retrofit seals. Cat.# EYSR2 = 3/4", EYSR3 = 1". Check out www.crouse-hinds.com
Got it, thanks. I've had to break off several of these things in my time. Only managed to save the wire on maybe 2 of them. That mixture is some tuff stuff. I read on one of these sites that one manufacturer has little packets of mixture. Squeeze until thoroughly mixed and them pour on top of your fiber dam. Sounds good, never used it yet.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #10
Wyome

Just took a look at the Crouse-Hinds EYSR3, retro-fit seal off for 1". I see it's listed for Class 1, Div. 2. My location is about 4' from a diesel pump. I'll have to look that up and make sure that will comply. Don't know off the top of my head if that is Div. 1 or 2. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #11

Crouse-Hinds makes the pre-mixed packs Chico A19-PX and Chico A39-PX. The mixture is portland cement, I believe. How hard it gets depends on the ratio of water to Chico A compound and how well you mix it. Crouse-Hinds also makes what they call Chico SpeedSeal. It is similar to expanding foam. It comes in a tube and has two parts that you mix. It's great if you have a lot of seals to pour. It is messy and some what expensive, but a big labor saver if you have a lot of seals to pour. It is easily removed if you need to add wires later. Be sure and wear the little gloves they send as any that you get on your hands will have to wear off. Best to ya.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:25 AM   #12
BR549

Rewards Points: 2,048

Quote:
Crouse-Hinds makes the pre-mixed packs Chico A19-PX and Chico A39-PX. The mixture is portland cement, I believe. How hard it gets depends on the ratio of water to Chico A compound and how well you mix it. Crouse-Hinds also makes what they call Chico SpeedSeal. It is similar to expanding foam. It comes in a tube and has two parts that you mix. It's great if you have a lot of seals to pour. It is messy and some what expensive, but a big labor saver if you have a lot of seals to pour. It is easily removed if you need to add wires later. Be sure and wear the little gloves they send as any that you get on your hands will have to wear off. Best to ya.
I had a couple of seal offs to repull and was dreading it. Got to the job, one had duct seal, the other one had nothing. Life was good that day!
jrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
Wyome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrannis View Post
I had a couple of seal offs to repull and was dreading it. Got to the job, one had duct seal, the other one had nothing. Life was good that day!

Lucky day. Did they even smear compound on the outside to try to fool the inspector?