CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-09-2010, 05:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000
Default Series rated systems......

I just finished a 10 week course on "electrical system protection",And part of the course was a lesson in series rated systems(bussman wrote the course),interesting stuff,Any one here have first hand experience working with series rated systems?Right now the nfpa is trying to get them approved for health care facilities,seems pretty unsafe to me.What's every ones take on them?...

slickvic277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
Pure Evil

Rewards Points: 2,070

Manufactures would love it. Good luck on adding a sub panel in 20 years, all you have is hope they keep the same products in production for a long time.

drsparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Zog

Rewards Points: 2,082

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsparky View Post
Manufactures would love it. Good luck on adding a sub panel in 20 years, all you have is hope they keep the same products in production for a long time.
That won;t happen. Goes against every OEM's business model.
Zog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
Registered Member

Well from the course I took,I'm under the impression that Square D and Seimans is pushing it big time.There really trying to push it on hospitals for the lighting systems as a cost cutting measure.Has anyone seen these systems in the field yet?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic277 View Post
Well from the course I took,I'm under the impression that Square D and Seimans is pushing it big time.There really trying to push it on hospitals for the lighting systems as a cost cutting measure.Has anyone seen these systems in the field yet?
I have seen this applied a few times in commercial installations. I took a 5 day course at Bussman a few years back. I wanted to take the class again but it seems they no longer offer it.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,554
Default series rated system

Quote:
I believe ZOG knows something about them. He PMd me with some info. However he is off line now....something about a helicopter.
RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
I have seen this applied a few times in commercial installations. I took a 5 day course at Bussman a few years back. I wanted to take the class again but it seems they no longer offer it.
They wrote the course for our apprentice training class.The portion on series rated systems was actually a journeyman class.Call your local maybe they offer the class.This is a new course they wrote for us in 2008.

It's titled Electrical systems protection.

I think the application is a bit dangerous,what's your take?I guess it comes down to just being familiar with it.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #8

Quote:
They wrote the course for our apprentice training class.The portion on series rated systems was actually a journeyman class.Call your local maybe they offer the class.This is a new course they wrote for us in 2008.

It's titled Electrical systems protection.

I think the application is a bit dangerous,what's your take?I guess it comes down to just being familiar with it.
From what I have been told and my limited understanding when, properly engineered, properly applied and future designs take all this into account, it should work in a safe manner.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
From what I have been told and my limited understanding when, properly engineered, properly applied and future designs take all this into account, it should work in a safe manner.

I just have a hard time rapping my head around the fact that an OCPD up stream has to work the same time the OCPD protecting a branch circuit opens to save my azz from an explosion.

To many variables,using the right breakers in conjunction with the acsi rating of protective devices upstream and vice a versa.Or a brkr trips in a lighting panel and a fuse blows on a main behind it.Seams like a lot of safety to give up to save a couple of bucks,also it makes it really hard to add to the system in the future(I know the NEC doesn't plan for future installations).

Also if I'm not mistaken you cannot use GFP or have selective coordination on series rated systems,seems like a step backwards to me.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 512

Many people probably are installing series rated panelboards and are not even aware of it. You get the plans from the boss, the salesman orders the gear according to the engineers drawings, you install it, and have no idea why you have breakers rated 10kaic installed in a panel rated 42kaic.

I didn't. I didn't know what aic meant. Then I met an inspector who knew what it meant. I don't think it's a dangerous install, if:
The system is properly labeled; the electrician doing work later on knows how to read; his boss isn't too cheap to buy the right parts; they still make the right parts.
In other words someone will find a way to make it unsafe. You can't make it idiot proof, only idiot resistant.

Podagrower is offline   Reply With Quote