CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Default Service call rates?

Hey, I mostly do multi-family and have been asked to do a couple of service calls. I haven't done services call in 5 years or more.( really try to stay away form them)When people find out your an electrician they have something at home for you to fix. I want to give them a good deal but I want to be happy too. I'm curious too of the different prices around the country.
thanks Leebo

leebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

1. Service call charge. this is the amount that brings the van and tech to your door
2. diagnostic charge. this is the cost to find the problem
3. labor rate. this is the charge for the repair
5. material cost /markup

I could give you numbers but unless you are next door and your operating costs are the same thet would mean nothing.

Mr Rewire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Rewire For This Useful Post:
BuzzKill (02-16-2011), NolaTigaBait (02-16-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Rewards Points: 5,570

A service call will cost you $90.00 plus parts..

That is to repair what is not working if it is simple like a breaker or diagnostic estimate if the problem is more severe..

If the fee is more than $90.00, I give an updated estimate for repairs before I do the work, if I have the parts on the truck..
Old 02-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4T View Post
A service call will cost you $90.00 plus parts..

That is to repair what is not working if it is simple like a breaker or diagnostic estimate if the problem is more severe..

If the fee is more than $90.00, I give an updated estimate for repairs before I do the work, if I have the parts on the truck..
B4T, is that your hourly charge for service work? Or is that a charge for just showing up? Sounds kinda low.
slickvic277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic277 View Post
B4T, is that your hourly charge for service work? Or is that a charge for just showing up? Sounds kinda low.
It really is a break even rate.. I'm more interested in gaining a new customer who will recommend me to family and friends when asked if they "know somebody"

You always have an edge when someone gives you a recommendation for a job, even if you're not the lowest bidder..

Some people will not even bother getting estimates.. they trust the friend, so they trust you..

Using a higher rate will get you more.. "Let me call you back"
BurtiElectric (02-16-2011), slickvic277 (02-16-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Zog

Rewards Points: 2,068

Quote:
It really is a break even rate.. I'm more interested in gaining a new customer who will recommend me to family and friends when asked if they "know somebody"

You always have an edge when someone gives you a recommendation for a job, even if you're not the lowest bidder..

Some people will not even bother getting estimates.. they trust the friend, so they trust you..

So when they call back, or thier friend calls, they expect the same rate, so you always end up at your "break even rate". So much for that trust, unless you want to break even forever.
Zog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zog For This Useful Post:
BuzzKill (02-16-2011), Magnettica (02-16-2011), robnj772 (02-16-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog View Post
So when they call back, or thier friend calls, they expect the same rate, so you always end up at your "break even rate". So much for that trust, unless you want to break even forever.
Then it is a basic estimate to do the job.. I never work T & M..

So you don't agree with my business plan.. good for you, but it has worked very well for me..
Old 02-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
Registered Member

Default $90

That's what I charge as well to "show up". It's actually slightly above average for around here. The point Zog was making obviously, by giving people a break then they call their friend and tell them they found a cheap electrician, and the vicious cycle begins. On the other hand, it's good to get your foot in door at initial visit, then once they trust you, go back to normal prices, and if they keep calling you all is good. I just did a job today for a lady who had 2 electricians right before me. She said she didn't trust either one and basically kicked them both out. I fixed her problem (3 hrs later) and walked away with another 2k in work at a good price for me.
Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
Fried Bologna um um good!

We don't charge a fee to come out. We charge one hour and that gets you one hour of diagnostic/repair time. Most calls are completed and we are on the road to next one in less than an hour. If we have not determined what is wrong in that one hour we stop and advise customer. Usually by then we have some clue of whats wrong and an approximate cost. We proceed if customers approves additional charges.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:

This makes about as much sense as lowballing a contractor becase he promises you "more work"
Old 02-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rewire View Post
This makes about as much sense as lowballing a contractor becase he promises you "more work"
I won't waste my time explaining it to you..
Old 02-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
I won't waste my time explaining it to you..
I would love to here how you make money by breaking even, you could write a book and sell it at break even why you would make millions,
Old 02-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #13
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rewire View Post
I would love to here how you make money by breaking even, you could write a book and sell it at break even why you would make millions,
I consider it advertising.. some people buy worthless space in a yellow book that cost hundreds of dollars a month and don't make a dime off it..

The $90.00 takes care of operating costs for me and coffee at 7-11..

Charging anything more than $90.00 and I price myself out of that segment of the market.

You like to charge $175.00 for a service call.. good luck with that..

Around here, you would be like the Maytag repair man..
Old 02-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Is 90$ for 2 men and a truck? I would think you could make decent money on that. At least you could in NC.
leebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #15
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Is 90$ for 2 men and a truck? I would think you could make decent money on that. At least you could in NC.
Just me and a truck.. forget about decent money for that service call
Old 02-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,208

I'm going the service route more! Hit and Run!
bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
I consider it advertising.. some people buy worthless space in a yellow book that cost hundreds of dollars a month and don't make a dime off it..

The $90.00 takes care of operating costs for me and coffee at 7-11..

Charging anything more than $90.00 and I price myself out of that segment of the market.

You like to charge $175.00 for a service call.. good luck with that..

Around here, you would be like the Maytag repair man..
I agree with you on this. I charge $85.00 to show up with my tools.
If I push a reset button on a GFI it costs them $85.00. If I change a breaker it costs $85 plus the cost of breaker with 20% markup and one hour labor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BurtiElectric For This Useful Post:
B4T (02-16-2011), BIGRED (02-17-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #18

One thing many fail to realize, there is more than one way to skin a cat. If I haven't learned this in real life I sure learned it hear. I have had some 0n this forum and another forum tell me there is no way I can make a living operating a business as I do. Been at it 26 years and still counting, doing ok, four kids through college with no debt and food on the table.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brian john For This Useful Post:
B4T (02-16-2011), BurtiElectric (02-16-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #19
zap

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Hey, I mostly do multi-family and have been asked to do a couple of service calls. I haven't done services call in 5 years or more.( really try to stay away form them)When people find out your an electrician they have something at home for you to fix. I want to give them a good deal but I want to be happy too. I'm curious too of the different prices around the country.
thanks Leebo
1 journeyman 60/hr plus material 1 hour min. Travel time one way if in a 20 mile raduis. Travel time both ways if out of the raduis. My shop is just above average on the price scale. Thats the business hours rate, after hours is more money. They charge for helpers too but I never get one of those. The boss man shows up if I need help and I become the helper.
tates1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #20
NJ-IEC Member

Rewards Points: 2,036

B4T, seriously.... if Cletis down in Georgia is getting the same amount as you are in Long Island, doesn't that seem a little unlikely considering the cost of living in LI compared to Georgia?