CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 09-23-2008, 11:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Smoke detector breaker locks

I have a small, stick built office building w/ hardwired smokes in it. This is not, nor required to be a monitored system. My question is this, do i need to install a breaker lock on the circuit controling these detectors. If yes, is there a code reference? Thanks

crk1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-23-2008, 03:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

It would be against the NEC to install a breaker lock and also a fire hazard (keeping the breaker from tripping).

chenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenley View Post
It would be against the NEC to install a breaker lock and also a fire hazard (keeping the breaker from tripping).

Don't be so sure, breaker locks prevent you from turning off power, it has nothing to do with not letting the breaker trip, that being said I have been paid to install breaker locks on fire alarm controll panels in high rise buildings. So it is not in the nec but it is a nfpa or local requirement. So the answer is a definite maybe.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 7,094

I agree completely with BK.

crk1a, check your local building and fire codes. This is NOT an NEC issue.

Chenley, if you thought this was a violation I am curious as to where you thought it was.
Did you actually think a breaker lock prevented the breaker from tripping???
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenley View Post
Breaker locks only keep someone from opening the breakers. They don't prevent them from tripping.

If you didn't exercise your right to vote, you lose your right to complain.
480sparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 624

We install them on the circuits that power the cameras that watch the cash registers.
Joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

None of the jurisdictions I work in have ever required a breaker lock on the smokes, but then, I always wire the smokes in with something essential.

Nuisance alarms are practically a thing of the past with properly installed smokes. I see no reason to install a breaker lock for them.
waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #8

See that's why I love this forum, learning something new all the time.

Yeah, I immediately thought of LOTO breaker locks. Ended up talking to my boss about the question who explained that they have locks to keep a breaker from being opened, but will also still let the breaker trip if a fault occurs.

I've just never ran into them or have seen them.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by waco View Post
None of the jurisdictions I work in have ever required a breaker lock on the smokes, but then, I always wire the smokes in with something essential.

Nuisance alarms are practically a thing of the past with properly installed smokes. I see no reason to install a breaker lock for them.
Breaker locks are not required on 120v resi-style smoke detectors. They are usually required, however, for fire alarm systems.

If you didn't exercise your right to vote, you lose your right to complain.
480sparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to kbsparky Send a message via AIM to kbsparky Send a message via Yahoo to kbsparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
Breaker locks are not required on 120v resi-style smoke detectors. They are usually required, however, for fire alarm systems.
Unless you are wiring a house in Delaware. In that state, the requirements are:

• Install all smokes on a dedicated circuit
  • Install a lock on the smokes circuit breaker
  • No AFI protection shall be utilized on the smoke circuit
  • Install nothing else on the smoke circuit.
  • Use only hard-wired units with battery back-up
  • Interconnect all units for simultaneous alarm.
  • Locate one smoke alarm in each bedroom
  • Locate at least one smoke alarm outside of each sleeping area
  • Locate at least one smoke alarm on each level of house (including unfinished basements)
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:33 PM   #11

kbsparky, I can understand them having those requirements and I expect other jurisdictions will soon follow.
waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:52 PM   #12

Send a message via ICQ to kbsparky Send a message via AIM to kbsparky Send a message via Yahoo to kbsparky

SOME of those requirements I have no problem with.

It's the dedicated circuit with a lock on the breaker I don't agree with. I believe that something else like a hall light should be on the same line with those smokes. IF that locked-on breaker were to trip, most folks would have no way to tell this has happened, even if they looked at the breakers in the panel box. Having something else on the same circuit makes it easier and quicker to determine that the circuit has failed.

The only exception would be if they had a Square D type QO panel, which has a visual indication on the breaker it is in the tripped position.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:59 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,000

I agree, residential smokes should be on with area lighting.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
SOME of those requirements I have no problem with.

It's the dedicated circuit with a lock on the breaker I don't agree with. I believe that something else like a hall light should be on the same line with those smokes. IF that locked-on breaker were to trip, most folks would have no way to tell this has happened, even if they looked at the breakers in the panel box. Having something else on the same circuit makes it easier and quicker to determine that the circuit has failed.

The only exception would be if they had a Square D type QO panel, which has a visual indication on the breaker it is in the tripped position.
I believe the BRK smokes we install chirp every few minutes if the 120V line goes down and are running on battery.