Solar Power - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 07-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Solar Power

Hey im new to the Electrical field and am looking to get into the Solar field. I was wondering if anybody had information about this type of field. I live in Philadelphia Pennsylvania. Thanks
jayearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-24-2008, 05:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25
Default Solar Power

I'm from the Allentown area and we are getting our feet wet in the solar industry. There doesn't seem to be alot design information out there, at least relating to this area. I can't find any local training etc. This may change considering there is a bill in congress that will release 650 million dollars for solar in PA. For now I'll read all I can and get information from the vendors. It definitly isn't rocket science, the design issues and product application are what concern me at this point.
preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I'll let you guys know. We have 2 new houses coming up that will be solar powered in the next 2 months and it's going to be a learning experience for us.
kawaikfx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:02 PM   #4
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500
Default solar power

not and expert , just thinking if you had large plates of poto voltic cells up on that roof and a large enough dc to ac inverter say 200 amps 240 / 120 volts meaning change dc to ac power single phase 60 hz . you could power your home if you had plenty of sunlite .at nite this would be another issue go back to standard power companys power or spend big bucks and install a large enough battery room to power it at nite . just use a small generator to charge the batterys they sell large ups systems now all you need is a roof with cells and money . you could disconnect that meter on your home , but this is lots of money and most arent ready for the big picture yet , i thinking in 10 years this will be the normal way of life for americans to have a system in there homes florida is now going big on home generators do to hurricanes we have had , this is my hobbie but plan on opening up a shop to do just this my shop is now powered by sunlite no meter no bill ,i have 100 amp home bru ups it lots of fun and i enjoy working on it .funning thing is i get my poto voltic cells from a company who sells me broken cells i get boxs of these and make my own roof top enclosers this is just a hobbie now but enjoy it and florida is the best state for it .

Last edited by nick; 08-01-2008 at 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:16 PM   #5

Id like to get into this in the future as well. I have friends in Europe who use solar and even with as much cloud cover they get, they have not paid a bill in quite awhile.
europamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
Registered Member

Default solar power

ya , i like to design my own stuff , solar power has been around a long time its just now that everyone is going green and thinking about saving the planet . but most of the new things we see today we think are new inventions ,someone years ago made it happen , or the military had it , its a simple process if you want to make your own for your home or just looking into it for yourself . you can have a electrical contractor install it for mega dollars , if your a electrician build it yourself , batterys , dc to ac inverter, solar cells charge batts all power is running off the batts all day all nite ,then charge it all day all nite 365 days a year. yes if its cloudy it still works fine but much better if its nice out, lots of sunlite !, i use standard wet cells 24 volt batterys nothing special , broken or used photo voltic cells ,home made inverter all parts are from work or what i can get from junk or old vfd,s or what ever some plants or equipment companys toss out . theres plenty of information on the net thats good ,lots of good books on this also ,just surf around you will find it . if ya have any questions go ahead and ask be glad to help a electrician meaning someone in are trade ,i see lots of people on this site just looking to get info to do electrical work but i can feel them out just by the way they post .

Last edited by nick; 08-02-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #7

Default Solar install

I had the opportunity to install a 10 kw system with a friend who does this for a living. Solar power is real . For s and giggles we asked the homeowner to turn on the a/c , all the lights, the TV , and the microwave. We took readings on the drop and watched how fast the meter was spinning. When we finished the job we turned on all the same appliances and the meter was spinning backwards. He was still generating. This stuff can get us off oil for the most part. The best part is here in California his system will pay for itself in 7 years. The union needs to grab hold of these jobs or lose out.
blackhat 321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #8

This may seem a bit corny, but I would like to one day see solar power utilized and very affordable for everyone. I would love to one day after i get more experince be involved with that.

This whole "green" movement has also led to higher costs for things and I do not want to see a thing like solar go that way. I remember when I was a kid seeking adverts in magazines and people talking about solar energy then the talk just seemed to dies away until now.
europamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:57 PM   #9
Registered Member

Default solar power

i dont think its to far out , but its like tv black and white now we have color cable we now have home computers and there getting less per dollar everyday cell phones are cheap and look at what they do today .solar is high dollar now, but thats because until the people in this world see it work ,they really dont know what it can do for them .and when that dollar $$$$ sign in ther eyes lites up then they will come around and then your goin to see square d ge siemens westinghouse cutler and others start manufacturing it on the production line . look at windmill power stations out west its new but thats the way to go , its just common sense to save energy .and if its free why not use it .
Old 08-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #10
Licensed Journeyman

Rewards Points: 2,008

home and business owners get a 50% tax credit for installs here - its for real and here to stay - never done one yet though
nolabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #11

There are HUGE incentives and rebates available by the state and fed. govt. right now but these are soon to expire 12-31-08 they should be renewed but right now these rebates are a guarantee. I am currently selling a solar job to a car dealership I service. It's a 50kw system enough to cut his $2400 elec. bill down to around 800-900 and the system installed will cost him $430,000 up front. After I complete the install commonwealth solar then gives him back $290,000 then a federal tax credit of another $100,000, after that his accountants and my supplier got together to work with some more numbers and he accually ends up out of pocket $16,466. Theres so many incentives available right now it's insane. The owner of the dealership all said and done ends up paying around 4-5% of the installed cost. It is an involved project though. Just getting elec. bills sizing the system, Measuring the building, Getting an engineer out to sign off on the structure and all the other leg work starts to be a pain in the a** but it should be all worth it.

Last edited by turbostroke; 08-06-2008 at 09:40 PM.
turbostroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #12
Apprentice

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
this is just a hobbie now but enjoy it and florida is the best state for it .

kick ass hobby!
AWKrueger is offline   Reply With Quote