Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 01-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #1

Default Square D Homeline

I don't use Homeline often, and don't really know the product line, but here is the problem. Someone installed some ITE quad breakers 20-30 and 20-20 in a panel. Now, it doesn't work. So I ordered the quad breakers, but the outer two poles are not common trip(understandably), and do not have a handle tie. I can't seem to find a handle tie, does anyone know where to get them, or am I chasing unicorns?

Podagrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Fried Bologna um um good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podagrower View Post
I don't use Homeline often, and don't really know the product line, but here is the problem. Someone installed some ITE quad breakers 20-30 and 20-20 in a panel. Now, it doesn't work. So I ordered the quad breakers, but the outer two poles are not common trip(understandably), and do not have a handle tie. I can't seem to find a handle tie, does anyone know where to get them, or am I chasing unicorns?
never seen one but can you twin the panel then use full size where the quad is?

jwjrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

And this is why if you want to use handle-ties on half-size breakers with Square D, you must buy QO.

QO is da sh1t!
miller_elex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #4

Well, it turns out to be a moot point. Even though the ITE breakers were only installed about 3 years ago, they have already destroyed the bus. Now the next question is why would an alleged electrician install a 150 amp 8/16 panel with a 2 pole 100, 2 pole 110, 2 pole 30, 2 pole 20, and 4 single pole 20. I didn't see a rating for how many amps you could pull from a single bus stab, but I'm betting it's not 150 amps.

Looks like it's time for an upgrade
Podagrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
Pure Evil

ITE breakers will not fit in a Homeline panel, they will burn up the buss. Homeline only fist Homeline.

drsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
I saw a guy do it once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsparky View Post
ITE breakers will not fit in a Homeline panel, they will burn up the buss. Homeline only fist Homeline.
Yes.

and ITE are Siemens breakers, as well as being the wrong breaker, it's also a code violation.
SparkYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #7

Homeline panels you get what you pay for, what can be confusing to
homeowners and diy types is that typically half of the panel will accept
a tandem breaker and the other half will not. The scarey part is that
the uninformed will try to force a breaker onto a bus that is not made
for it. Or pull out a dremel and start cutting the back of their breaker.
Wish i had a nickel for everytime i have seen a "modified" OCP in a panel
2towbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #8

I suggest you upgrade to a 40 space panel, then use full size breakers. Even if you find the breakers you want, that panel is inadequate in my opinion.
Old Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
I saw a guy do it once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Channell View Post
I suggest you upgrade to a 40 space panel, then use full size breakers. Even if you find the breakers you want, that panel is inadequate in my opinion.
Yeah, and dont go with Homeline. I never liked those. Atleast their twins arent the little half sizes like GE...Who knows what I'm talkin about? A half size breaker that's LITERALLY A HALF SIZE.

I've always liked Siemens/Murray all-in-ones the most.
SparkYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #10

For commercial I like load centers in Square D QO, in panel boards I like GE or Square D in NQOD. With that Sqr. D you can use either bolt on or plug on. ITE is ok in load centers if you get copper bussing. I've had too many with alum. bussing burn up. Of course I only do commerical, so I don't know how they hold up on resi.

Old Spark is offline   Reply With Quote