Electrician Talk banner

Tamper Resistant Receptacles

12K views 59 replies 16 participants last post by  jwjrw 
#1 ·
Sorry if this has been around before on this forum, but do all residential/dwelling units receptacles need to be TR or just the ones required, "In all areas specified in 210.52?" (NEC406.11)

I'm hoping to get a number of opinions on this topic and copy it for our Chief Electrical Inspector. So, no rude comments please.

#8 · (Edited)
Lets see 210.52 covers Dwelling unit Receptacle Locations such as receptacles in:
Luminaires, baseboard heaters, Kithens,living rooms, parlors, dens,sunrooms, bedrooms, Floor outlets, counter top outlets, bathrooms, exterior outlets, Laundry rooms, basements, garages, Balconies,porches, &decks.

That being said crawl spaces go along with basements so TR are needed there.
Kitchens are clearly spelled out so ALL receptacles in a kitchen require TR ( even disposals and such).

I will go on record as saying I agree with Tim Owens ( code making panel 18) that the only receptacles that could possibly be NON- Tamper Resistant style are those installed in Attics or dedicated mechanical rooms as these are the only areas NOT covered by 210.52 - UNLESS they are considered to be habitable rooms of the type listed in 210.52(A)

In the IAEI Magazine for November/December 2009 ,in the Focus on the Code section Tim Owens answered this same question.

There are changes coming down the pike in the next code cycle that may exclude those over a certain height,such as those in cabinets for microwaves

#9 ·
Are the cheap residential grade tamper proof receptacles any good, will the hold up and work in 5 years?

If a child defeats the tamper proof receptacle and gets injured or dies are the law suits going to be horrific?

#39 ·
I could be way off here, but it seems to me that one deciding factor would be the number of means of egress.

If the area had only one means of egress, it couldn't be considered habitable space. Regardless of size or height.

If it had more than one, and it met minimum height requirements, then it would be considered habitable space, whether finished or not.

Please correct if this is wrong.

Rob

#41 ·
I think you're getting confused by the terms 'required' in 210.52 and 'specified in' of 406.11.

The 'required' receptacles in 210.52 lay out the minimums for receptacles.

406.11 just says that the receptacles in the areas 'specified in' 210.52 are to be TR.

So if a given room will meet code by having 6 receptacles, then the same room with 8 will still require all 8 to be TR.

#42 ·
Fact is, the cost difference is significant, but not a show stopper. I just don't think the issue is worth the argument. I have customers who hate them because they are sometimes harder to use than regular receps, but nobody I know of has replaced them.

Now AFCIs is a whole 'nother argument!!!!

#48 ·
Now it could possibily be argued that according to Webster Dictionary
Specifiy
1 : to name or state explicitly or in detail
2 : to include as an item in a specification

That the 1st deff. might specifiy cabinets since it is mentioned.
However 210.52 does not require rec's to be installed in cabinets.

You do not have to cord-and-plug DW or Disposal or Mount a Microwave over a stove. So these are not required rec's.

#49 ·
Section 406.11 in the 2008 NEC reads, “406.11 Tamper-Resistant Receptacles in Dwelling Units. In areas specified in 210.52, all 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles shall be listed tamper-resistant receptacles.” Based on the new text, tamper-resistant, 15- and 20-ampere, 125-volt receptacles must be installed for all specified areas in 210.52, covering such receptacles in kitchens, family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, sunrooms, bedrooms, recreation rooms, or similar rooms or areas of dwelling unit. The receptacles required for those areas specified in Section 210.52 must be tamper-resistant, and in addition, other receptacles not specifically listed in 210.52 now are required to be tamper-resistant.
For example, any 15- or 20-ampere receptacle that is part of a luminaire or appliance—those receptacles totally controlled by a wall switch in any habitable room, those located within cabinets or cupboards, or any receptacles located more than 5½ feet above the floor—is required to be tamper-resistant. Receptacles for garage-door openers located more than 5½ feet above the floor are required to be tamper-resistant. Floor receptacles located more than 18 inches from the wall are required to be tamper-resistant, even though 210.52 does not specify these receptacles as required receptacles. In Section 210.52(A)(2)(1), a wall space is considered to be a wall that is at least 2 feet or more in width. However, a wall space less than 2 feet with a receptacle installed in that space also is not required by 210.52, but compliance with 406.11 necessitates a tamper-resistant receptacle. In addition, countertop spaces less than 12 inches wide are not required to have a receptacle. But, if the receptacle were installed, the receptacle would be required to be tamper-resistant.

http://www.ecmag.com/?fa=article&articleID=9030

#59 · (Edited)
Leland & Bob - OK you proved a the point. I will conceed on the crawl space but nothing else.
In my mind it registered Basement and receptacle and it automatically went to the GFCI requirements,but never again!

A crawl space, an attice or a dedicated mechanical room /closet are the only places TR receptacles are not required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.