CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 07-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #1

Lightbulb Tapping 200 Amp panel to a 150 sub panel?

I am installing a 200 amp panel on the unattached garage. I am running a 150 amp MB sub to the inside of home. I need to know if I can tap off the main panel or would I need to add a 150 amp breaker in the main panel? Need to know the codes if you know them.

Thanks for looking.

Reseman

Reseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #2

How about some more info. Where is the panel ? What size wire? etc. Do you really need a 150amp feeder and if so will the service handle it?

Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
child please.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reseman View Post
I am installing a 200 amp panel on the unattached garage. I am running a 150 amp MB sub to the inside of home. I need to know if I can tap off the main panel or would I need to add a 150 amp breaker in the main panel? Need to know the codes if you know them.

Thanks for looking.

Reseman
Are you using one of those feed-thru panels?..If so, use 200 amp wire(and a 200 amp mlo panel) and you are good to go. If you want a "feeder tap" you need to look at 240.21 b...
Old 07-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaTigaBait View Post
Are you using one of those feed-thru panels?..If so, use 200 amp wire(and a 200 amp mlo panel) and you are good to go. If you want a "feeder tap" you need to look at 240.21 b...
If it is a feed thru panel then the wire must be rated for 200 amps.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
child please.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
If it is a feed thru panel then the wire must be rated for 200 amps.
Yeah that is why I said "use 200 amp wire"...
Old 07-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #6
Modérateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reseman View Post

Thanks for looking.

Reseman

IMO it will be cheaper just get the feed thru panel and run 200 amp sized conductors than try to buy a two pole 150 amp breaker that sucker is NOT cheap and not all place will have it stock escpally with push on loadcentre with common useage in resdentail { unless you got lucky with NQOD panel which they are typically bolt on then it will be a brezze }

Merci,
Marc
Old 07-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaTigaBait View Post
If he's running to the house from a separate (unattached) building, he would need a disconnect unless he has 6 or less breakers. You can get a MB panel sometimes cheaper than a MLO. IMO, less trouble to just put in a MB panel than to have to add a disconnect.

Edit: I agree with needing a 200A.

Last edited by A Little Short; 07-07-2011 at 01:58 PM.
A Little Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaTigaBait

That's how I would do it.

mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote