CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 09-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Default Transfer my license

I'm pretty sure you can not transfer your electrical license from state to state and if so why not? The test I took was based on the "National" Electric Code,correct? This code is the standard and should be accepted everywhere. So is there anyway to transfer it?

Gamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #2

It all depends on the state you are licensed in and the state that you are trying to reciprocate with.
It would be nice if there was a national license but in my opinion, I don't ever see it happening.
The state makes money on licensing.

TheBrushMan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
That Guy

You are beat in NJ my man, beat.....well except for Delaware I think.
Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrushMan007 View Post
It all depends on the state you are licensed in and the state that you are trying to reciprocate with.
It would be nice if there was a national license but in my opinion, I don't ever see it happening.
The state makes money on licensing.
So,it is possible to transfer to some states? Do you have any links that explain which ones?

Thanks
Gamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamit View Post
I'm pretty sure you can not transfer your electrical license from state to state and if so why not? The test I took was based on the "National" Electric Code,correct? This code is the standard and should be accepted everywhere. So is there anyway to transfer it?
www.mikeholt.com/statelicense.php
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gold

Quote:
So,it is possible to transfer to some states? Do you have any links that explain which ones?

Thanks
Like he said If its an NJ license your beat. I'll add even in Delaware.
gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold View Post
Like he said If its an NJ license your beat. I'll add even in Delaware.
License Reciprocity: Delaware
•Maine, Michigan, Wyoming: licensure standards are substantially similar and you do not need to submit any proof of experience.
•Arkansas, Colorado, D.C., Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia: licensure standards are not substantially similar and you must submit proof of experience for a minimum of five years after licensure:
•For a State or jurisdiction not listed above, you must be evaluated by the Board. You must submit a copy of the other State’s law and regulations for evaluation.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
Senior Moment

We don't even need a license here in NY. In the bigger cities, yes, you need a city license. The 'burbs are a free-for-all, with sometimes scary looking trunkslammer work that would make your eyes pop. But no state license available. Should be required IMHO.
danhasenauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
3rd Generation

Mn has reciprocity with a few other states, experience time seems to be one of the main things that determine it. I believe you can still use experience from another state as long as it is documented, you would just have to sit for the test again here.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
NJ-IEC Member

Here in NJ we beat back weak liberalism with strong communism.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Quote:

I can't even go from county to county and it has nothing to do with the NEC.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black4Truck View Post
I can't even go from county to county and it has nothing to do with the NEC.
$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 09-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #13
Registered Member

Default Master

A friend of mine had to take a job from craigslist. They were looking for a master electrician to put on company's payroll basically. They gave him a van and paid his gas and $15 hr. Sent him a 1099 at end of year.

I feel sorry for him cuz he also has to work hard for it. I have nothing and make at least double that if not triple.

Cletis
Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
A friend of mine had to take a job from craigslist. They were looking for a master electrician to put on company's payroll basically. They gave him a van and paid his gas and $15 hr. Sent him a 1099 at end of year.

I feel sorry for him cuz he also has to work hard for it. I have nothing and make at least double that if not triple.

Cletis
Bonehead move by your friend. Sorry, just being honest.
Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:14 AM   #15
Lighting Contractor

has to be better options available than that. Shoot, have him call me.
Lighting Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #16
zap

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:

It depends on each state, if you have proof of your experience, for example a notorized letter on a company letterhead or one from your state of license detailing your qualifications, you can apply for an endorsement. Which is close to the same thing as recipacating(sp) so you wouldn't have to take a test to gain a license in said state. Here in idaho we only reciprocate with 4 other states but because the requirements for getting a journeymans license are so strict it will transfer by endorsement to many others. I have worked with several guys that started in cali then moved here to idaho. Idaho allowed them to show proof of thier experience and awarded a license or allowed them to start in the corresponding year of apprentiship based on thier experience and placement exam. It pays to pick up the phone and call the state you want to get licensed in.

tates1882 is offline   Reply With Quote