Using 2 single pole GFCI Breakers - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Using 2 single pole GFCI Breakers

I am installing a pool. Can I use 2 single pole GFCI 20 amp breakers to feed the 220 volt pump instead of a double pole GFCI? If so how does it wire with respect to the neutrals?
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
Look, Listen and Live

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Tech View Post
I am installing a pool. Can I use 2 single pole GFCI 20 amp breakers to feed the 220 volt pump instead of a double pole GFCI? If so how does it wire with respect to the neutrals?
All multi-wire branch circuits must be simultaneousy disconnected as per NEC 2008 210.4

I would ask your local inspector. But I would put it on a 2 pole GFCI. I realize these are more expensive, but don't cut corners.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
Yeah Toast!!

Rewards Points: 1,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheHabit View Post
All multi-wire branch circuits must be simultaneousy disconnected as per NEC 2008 210.4

I would ask your local inspector. But I would put it on a 2 pole GFCI. I realize these are more expensive, but don't cut corners.
I would first question if this install is a MWBC?

Second, two single pole breakers can meet the requirements of 210.4 with a handle tie installed.

If this install is a MWBC then two single pole GFCI breakers will not work. One circuit may at times draw more current then the other circuit and this will cause a current in-balance which can trip the breaker.

Last edited by Roger123; 04-30-2008 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Re-read pool install
Old 04-29-2008, 11:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10
Default Mwbc?

What is MWBC? I have a neutral pulled to power a timer. I have already bought 2 single pole GFCI breakers. I guess I did not have to but I did! Can I m ake this work or do I need to get a double pole GFCI? "
Old 04-30-2008, 12:28 AM   #5
Yeah Toast!!

Rewards Points: 1,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Tech View Post
What is MWBC? I have a neutral pulled to power a timer. I have already bought 2 single pole GFCI breakers. I guess I did not have to but I did! Can I m ake this work or do I need to get a double pole GFCI? "
MWBC is a multi wire branch circuit. Two separate circuits sharing one common neutral.

Now after re-reading this install is for a pool you may be required to have GFCI protection for this circuit. If so, the best install would be a double GFCI breaker as Back-in wrote.

Last edited by Roger123; 04-30-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:50 AM   #6
R.I.P. 2014

Rewards Points: 4
Send a message via Yahoo to randomkiller

I guess this is a residential pool with the pump outside. Is a gfci required for this type of hardwired install? As for the neutral for the timer, I would have used a 240v timer and forgot about the neutral.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:10 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,404

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators/Admin of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

As stated in the sign up page, ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
Closed Thread