CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 05-31-2011, 08:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Default Variable speed control making ceiling fans noisy?

I replaced two old 3-speed 5 amp fan controls that controlled 5 ceiling fans each in a small retail store. My supply house ordered me infinitely variable speed switches ( 5 amp Lutron ). The old ones were slide switches with off-lo-med-hi.
Now when the fans are on high they work fine. When you adjust the speed a little lower the fans start to make a humming or slight buzzing sound.
Anyone else had this problem?

Landmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmark View Post
I replaced two old 3-speed 5 amp fan controls that controlled 5 ceiling fans each in a small retail store. My supply house ordered me infinitely variable speed switches ( 5 amp Lutron ). The old ones were slide switches with off-lo-med-hi.
Now when the fans are on high they work fine. When you adjust the speed a little lower the fans start to make a humming or slight buzzing sound.
That will always be a problem with variable speed controls. They make the fans hum. I called Lutron and said they are used mostly in commercial applications where noise is not an issue. You need to go back to the selected speed control

Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Yeah but it isn't a problem, per se. It is the result of the PWM electronics that control the fan speed. The frequency that is used to regulate the motor speed is at the mid to high end of the sound spectrum, so instead of the regular 60 Hz hum, we can hear the higher pitched buzz from the motor. Kinda like a speaker.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 2,118

As Dennis says, those variable speed controls will always have a problem with noise. Get the 3-speed preset models and you'll eliminate 98% of the issue.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks Dennis!
Who makes a 5 amp control like this?

Last edited by Landmark; 05-31-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Quote
Landmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
i came across this long ago, only way i found to fix it was to get the speed control from the fan manufacturer.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,046

Quote:
Yes, once.

Don't use variable speed...problem solved.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:05 AM   #8
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just make sure you get dehummed verison they will be little more quiet as well but get in tri speed verison not the vari speed at all.

I found out in hard way many years ago with the ceiling fans.

The cheap ceiling fans tend to be more noisier than well builted fans are.

The most recent one I work on was old school Hunter cast iron ceiling fan that thing you can not really hear it very well pretty quiet { I can able pick up the vibertions when it was running so I know it still running }

Merci,
Marc