CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 09-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #1

Default Voltage Limiters in New Ceiling Fans?

Friend wants me to install a new ceiling fan in his bedroom. I have heard that they know put voltage limiters on the new fans to protect people from overloading it with higher voltage bulbs. I also heard that this causes a delay in the lighting ( fan instantly comes on but light is on a 1-2 second delay) because it needs to register the size and type of bulb and adjust accordingly. I know the government is cracking down. Any truth to this?

redcx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
Licensed Journeyman

yes
and remember big brother is watching

nolabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #3

yes they put voltage limiters on them for years now but its so you cant run them one the new 240v system and have to buy a new one.
mattsilkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:21 AM   #4

The new ones I saw had wattage limiters,190 watts max.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
I own stock in FotoMat!

I don't care how much power you use, the voltage will stay the same.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #6

Default Watt Overload (or is it Bureaucracy Overload?)

The watt limiters are one of the more frustrating government rulings to affect us. It is hard to explain to a customer whey their new ceiling fan's lights act "funny". The time delays I have experienced prevent you from entering the room after turning he lights on. You could fall flat on your face if you did. You must wait that second or two before proceeding. If they would have done the job with overcurrent protection it would have been acceptable. And remember, this is all about being "green", not safety issues with overloading. Makes me glad I put switched receptacles and sconces in my own home (along with the paddle fans).

jsiemens is offline   Reply With Quote