CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #1

Default WA state administrator's exam

I am planning on taking a class and taking the test in May. I was wondering if anyone has any good advice or knows of some good resources or even some good literature to bring along for it.
I'm pretty good when it comes to referencing code, so I am thinking I will need to brush up on my theory and load calcs and such.

chris856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-10-2010, 01:01 AM   #2

WAC book

mikeg_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeg_05 For This Useful Post:
Wireman191 (12-13-2011)
Old 02-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
ADMIRAL STARFLEET COMMAND

Send a message via MSN to BEAMEUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris856 View Post
I am planning on taking a class and taking the test in May. I was wondering if anyone has any good advice or knows of some good resources or even some good literature to bring along for it.
I'm pretty good when it comes to referencing code, so I am thinking I will need to brush up on my theory and load calcs and such.

Do load calcs untill your blue in the face, and study the admin side of the wac, and you should do fine.
BEAMEUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #4

Tom Henry has a pretty good book for calculations. Easy to understand and very informative. Helped me pass my Florida Journeyman test and Colorado journeyman and Masters
oramac406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #5

Go online and type in Tom Henry Electrical books
oramac406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #6

Got it. Tom Henry it is.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #7

WAC and NEC part is easy IF you can read fast. Study duplex, multifamily, multi-motor feeder protection/sizing, marinas and multiple welder calcs. Mike Holts basic Exam Prep book is decent enough. Calcs part is challenging. Test is going to change in March so everything I've just told you can be taken with a grain of salt if you aren't taking the test this mos. Have no idea what or how it's changing.
nitro71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oramac406 View Post
Tom Henry has a pretty good book for calculations.
They run excellent live classes as well. I did a six week class there prior to taking my Florida exams, they're good people. Get their highlighted/tabbed book and practice the timed tests in a quiet environment.
The Lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #9

Default Washington Major Load Calcs

Chris
I am taking the exam this week. Can you give me a rough overview on the load calc section of the exam.
kevinsryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsryan View Post
Chris
I am taking the exam this week. Can you give me a rough overview on the load calc section of the exam.
It will mostly cover dwelling unit load calcs so that is the important part. You will likely have one multimotor load calc and I hear it varies on whether you will be sizing for wire size or OCD size. There will be one really long commercial load calc, I would do this last. Check all your stuff on everything else then do this one if you have time. There will likely be motors and a multi welder calc on it.
If I remember right, I had 1 duplex standard and 1 duplex optional, standard and optional multifamily, 1 motor, 1 commercial, and the rest were pretty easy, stuff like what the minimum amount of 15A and 20A circuits are required on a house with 1000sq feet. Just remember to divide the square feet by 600 for 15 amps and 800 for 20 amps.
The last two were just asking the load in VA of a dwelling unit and a church or something like that.

I was probably the most stressed about the math section and I had by far the easiest time on it. Bring your ugly's and dog ear page 15, 24, 29, 30, 31, and 50. You will come across some odd theory questions and a lot of them can be found on those pages. Make sure you at least have a tabbed book cause the NEC part wll have you going all over the place.

God help your soul on the RCW/WAC.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:02 AM   #11

Default Washington State

What do you mean dog ear page?How are you using the 600 and 800 for figuring the amount of circuits in the house problem?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #12

Quote:
What do you mean dog ear page?How are you using the 600 and 800 for figuring the amount of circuits in the house problem?
On a dwelling unit you have 3VA per sq. ft. Imagine you have 1000 sq ft
So one way to do the problem is 3x1000= 3000
A fifteen amp circuit is 15x120= 1800
So then you divide 3000 by 1800 and get 1.666667 round up and you get a minimum of 2
Dividing the sq. ft. by 600 skips a couple steps and speeds things up.
Instead of multiplying the sq ft by 3 every time you just use 1800 divided by 3 all the time which is 600.
Same goes for a 20A circuit.
20x120= 2400
2400 divided by 3 is 800.

By dog ear I mean just mark the page somehow, like folding the corner.
You will see a question like "Inductance is expressed in _____" and the answer is Henry's. In the 2008 ugly's on page 29 it say inductance is expressed in henrys.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #14

Oh yeah, make sure you eat real good before you go. They make you take all three sections with no breaks in between the first time you take it. It is a seven hour test and any bathroom or coffee breaks will come out of the time given for the test, at least that's how it went for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to chris856 For This Useful Post:
kevinsryan (07-01-2010)
Old 06-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #15

Thank you and I will certaily let you know the results.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #16

Default Washington

Chris, Well I did a 76 on the WAC, a 89 on the NEC and Theory and a 50 on the load calc section.
Your pointers were quite helpful and I certainly wish I had of known multifamily dwelling cals a whole lot better. Thanks for your help. Time to go to work on the calcs. If you would like a copy of the questions I have put together I would be willing to send them to your email address.Let me know.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #17

Talking

hey kevin

i would love your questions as im getting ready to start the studying phase of the test lol i just relocated here to wa from texas and passed the journeymans figured the administrators is the next step if your offering of course lol
mrmufc27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmufc27 View Post
hey kevin

i would love your questions as im getting ready to start the studying phase of the test lol i just relocated here to wa from texas and passed the journeymans figured the administrators is the next step if your offering of course lol
If it helps, I just passed the WA Administrator test a couple weeks ago.

The NEC portion was pretty standard... just had to jump around a lot. I had a couple of theory questions too, such as "What is the inductive reactance of .12 millihenry inductor operating at 60 Hz?" And "You place an ohmmeter across two leads, and it gives a reading of 0 ohms. What does this indicate? A) Ground fault B) open circuit C) short circuit D) none of the above." Overall, just know your code. If you have a key word index, it helps too.

The WAC/RCW portion sucks. It has 17 questions or so. I failed it the first time through and had to retake it a couple weeks later. Can't really offer much advice on this... just read the RCW and WAC cover to cover and try to retain what you can. Most of the installation requirements and code amendments are in the WAC portion, so if you get a question like "What kind of venting does a residential sewage disposal chamber require?" or some such, then look in the WAC. The RCW is mostly administrative crap... it's REALLY hard to navigate (at least for me). Your best bet is just to read it a few times. I had to retake this portion 2 weeks later, and it wasn't much better the 2nd time (though I passed).

The calculations weren't as bad as I thought. I had 10 questions total... maybe half of them were things like motor feeder OCPD sizing, multifamily cooking appliance service demand, and the like. Not full building calcs. The other half WAS building calcs. I had a couple of residential duplexes, one multifamily dwelling, one single-family dwelling, and one really brutal combination retail space/commercial industrial double-occupancy service calc with show windows, lighting, plugs, specific appliances and equipment, several motors, and about 432,098,391,045 welders.

Pretty sure I didn't get that question right.

Overall, you only need 70% to pass. So don't get too hung up on a single question or calculation unless you're sure you've got the time to spare. I finished the NEC portion like two hours early so instead of moving on to the next section, I reviewed that portion as if I were taking it for the first time. If they give you the time, you might as well use it. Also, there's no penalty for getting the wrong answer, so if you're running short on time or you just DON'T KNOW, then guess. You'll have a 25% chance of getting it instead of a 0% chance.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #19

Thank you i appreciate your input.......
mrmufc27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #20

Lightbulb Share !

Do not be greedy. SHARE! Write your experiences of the exam when you complete it:
I wrote the 06 Limited Energy (WA) - Electrical Administrator exam with PSI in Oct/2011. I thought it was rather easy, i studied for 2 weeks and the last 2 days really crammed for about 10 hours a day.

My experience and recommendation on what you should know :

From NEC 2008:
1. Basic working knowledge of electricity: What is Impedance, Reactance.
2. I did not have any P=IV V=IR or any lighting calculation based questions.
3. What is the resistance of a cable at a given length.
4. What maximum distance can a telecommunication cable be supported.
5. What maximum distance can a PVC pipe be supported (for a given size)
6. What is minimum size of grounding conductor under different conditions
7. What is Class 1, 2, 3 (Know 725!!!)
8. Understand Class I, II, III, Divisions 1 and 2 (what are they, where they apply)
9. Understand how transformers work, relation of primary to secondary windings.
10. Box fill (cu.in. calculations) based on wiring that goes into it.
11. Types of equipment grounding conductors (250.118)
12. Temperature limitation of conductors. They asked a question based on the FPN! 310.10
13. Spacing between service for power and communication (800.44(A)(4))
14. What do the Chapters 1 thru 4 cover (applies to all electrical installations)
15. NEMA ratings and their types
16. Substitutions of cables (T725.154(G))
17. Class 1 Power-Limited Circuits (30V/1000VA) 725.41(A)(1)... but you should know the whole article 725!
18. What is peak based on RMS calculation
19. I had no questions which related to Chapter 9 T1 or T2. However there was a question for the bend radius of a coax cable or some low voltage cable (5x).
20. Chapter 9 Table 11(A) - maximum overcurrent protection question
21. No questions for conduit or tubing fill from Annex C
22. Pretty obvious, know your T310.16. They asked conductor size for a given current of a cable type.
23. Spray Application, Dipping and Coating Processes 516.3 (Classification of Locations)
24. Power source for PLFA CCT's (760.121(A) (1) thru (3))
25. Something about Audio Article 640 (as it related to protection) - forgot
26. Know your articles 500, 501 thru 503
27. Running wiring thru a Duct. (permissable/not permissable)
28. Find capacitive reactance calculation (Xc = 1/(2 * pi * F * C))

From WAC/RCW:
1. How many voting members on the board (15)
2. How many administrators can a electrical contractor assign
3. Electrical Board: Professional Engineer is a member of RCDD
4. Can a telecom worker install cable trays
5. Something about laboratory tested equipment in WA (i forgot)
6. Number of days for appeals, disputes. Highlight all numbers in RCW so you can quickly find them.
7. Penalty for misrepresentation is deduction of 2000 hours
8. 10 day notification for administrators termination
9. There were no definition based questions.
10. Electrical Contractor License is valid for how long
11. There was a question about asking 8 hour training for renewal - forgot
12. Nothing on WAC Part A, B, C. I would recommend you read Part D, E, and mainly F (Administrative)

Thats all i can remember boys and girls.
From Russia with Love - J
SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES you GREEDY PIGS! dont just read for your own benefit. SHARE!

mambo is offline   Reply With Quote