CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 10-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500
Default Washer and Dryer on the same receptacle??

I'm doing work in a house today and i walk through the laundry room and out of the corner of my eye i see the washer and dryer plugged into the same outlet.

The washer and dryer are new LG front loaders and the dryer uses a standard plug. How many amps do these new dryers draw?? I was tempted to pull the dryer out and look at the name plate but i was too busy with other work.

I'm used to washers and dryers being on seperate circuits and 30amp for the dryer.

And i looked for a gas line didnt see it but i didn't look that hard lol Is there a such thing as a dryer that uses a standard plug that is all electric?

Last edited by pawirenut; 10-14-2010 at 09:40 PM.
pawirenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Was it a gas dryer?

HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #3

If it's a gas dryer, no problem.

Sounds like it is if it is plugged into the 120 laundry circuit.
rexowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 75

I'd be hard pressed to imagine those draw enough current to overload a 20 amp circuit, especially if they are the fancy energy star variety.
Resi Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
Registered Member

Its gotta be gas i'll look tommorow closer just was wondering if there was some new technology for dryers that is so efficient that you can run it on a 15 or 20 amp circuit
Old 10-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,014

Microwave dryer?

I don't think they exist but maybe they should.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #7
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 2,022

Well,I was looking at a setup today for a washer and a gas dryer- one 20 amp circuit on a duplex gfi receptacle outlet. The washer nameplate was 12 amps and the dryer nameplate says 6.2 amps @ 120 volts. Now will the dryer actually pull 6.2 amps running? (I assume spin motor,light, and controls). Maybe, but that is not the point. The point is the two nameplates for 2 fixed in place appliances run more than 80% of the circuit ampacity.
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Well,I was looking at a setup today for a washer and a gas dryer- one 20 amp circuit on a duplex gfi receptacle outlet. The washer nameplate was 12 amps and the dryer nameplate says 6.2 amps @ 120 volts. Now will the dryer actually pull 6.2 amps running? (I assume spin motor,light, and controls). Maybe, but that is not the point. The point is the two nameplates for 2 fixed in place appliances run more than 80% of the circuit ampacity.
We know that but in the customers mind hey it works so who cares
Old 10-14-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
That Guy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
My buddy who is also an EC just failed a finish for this above reason a few months back. The inspector actually looked at the nameplates for two of those fancy Jetson's looking $tackables and just like mac said, more than 80% when tallied up.

When in doubt, 12/3 to all new laundry receptacle circuits from now on.
Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #10
Crazy about lights

Rewards Points: 524

Most dryers I have seen use at least 2000w.
the washer at least 1000w.
3000w at 120v
thats 25a.
unless ita a 25a outlet,
then its overload.
But it probably works,
so the customer probably doesnt know better.
Some just dont want to know.
All you can do is tell them,
then its there problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawirenut View Post
I'm doing work in a house today and i walk through the laundry room and out of the corner of my eye i see the washer and dryer plugged into the same outlet.

The washer and dryer are new LG front loaders and the dryer uses a standard plug. How many amps do these new dryers draw?? I was tempted to pull the dryer out and look at the name plate but i was too busy with other work.

I'm used to washers and dryers being on seperate circuits and 30amp for the dryer.

And i looked for a gas line didnt see it but i didn't look that hard lol Is there a such thing as a dryer that uses a standard plug that is all electric?
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:47 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Yahoo to brichter

Quote:
IMO it could draw 100% for up to 2:59:59.
brichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #12
Mostly Harmless

Rewards Points: 1,000

I work in a lot of old houses around here. Many times I have noticed the washer and gas dryer plugged into the same receptacle. Then I notice two BX cables going down the basement wall to the washer plug. One home run and the other continues to the kitchen receptacles! I guess this was SOP back in the 1940s and 1950s!? Whenever I point that out to homeowners, they just shrug and tell me they've never had any problems with blown fuses or tripped breakers.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,090

I wired a unit that was both a washer and a dryer. It fit under the kitchen cabinet- dryer and washer were both electric. Of course, the two could never be on at the same time and the w/d was very small. All I needed was one 120V 20 amp circuit.
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split Bolt View Post
I work in a lot of old houses around here. Many times I have noticed the washer and gas dryer plugged into the same receptacle. Then I notice two BX cables going down the basement wall to the washer plug. One home run and the other continues to the kitchen receptacles! I guess this was SOP back in the 1940s and 1950s!? Whenever I point that out to homeowners, they just shrug and tell me they've never had any problems with blown fuses or tripped breakers.
Did they also have FPE panels?
Vintage Sounds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 2,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter View Post
IMO it could draw 100% for up to 2:59:59.
I agree with you on that, and was waiting to get called on it. I figured 480 was going to do it first...
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,036

Dude your avatar is too too nice. Very distracting though in a good way.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Tits.gif (5.8 KB, 82 views)

John Valdes is online now   Reply With Quote