CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 04-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Washington State Master Electrician/ Administrator Exam

I am from a family of electricians and grew up with this. I attended Wentworth for my Journeyman's and have been licensed in two states. I have passed four state exams for Major Load Calculations. I use the Mike Holt study guides to prepare. I ace theory, code, WAC, and practical applications.

However, ...

I also have failed the State Master Electrician/ Administrator Exam Major Load Calculations FIVE times in the past two months. There are many duplex questions and I cannot seem to get these right no matter what I do. There is virtually nothing in the NEC nor in the Holt materials to help.I also seem to be failing the multi-family questions. Can anyone help me? Also, is a church lighting load considered a 125% continuous load?

Brightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 2,214
Send a message via ICQ to wildleg

did you buy the whole course from Mike Holt and study the entire NeC on his dvd's, or just buy one book ? I highly recommend the whole course.

As President Roosevelt said: "We have nothing to fear but fear itself. And Chuck Norris. And 滿口胡言. And Grabthar's hammer. And Gort. and 江南 Style. and rotting in the street and Zombies . . . and Wayne Griffen "
wildleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #3

I did study the latest full course for this. I have no problem with the steps, but the exam has some ambiguous variables and nothing I do seems to work. For instance, several questions say "do not include any house or laundry loads", so I omit the dryer, or the laundry circuit load,, or both. Not even close, no matter which I do. Same with the commercial loads. I also don't seem to know when to apply the many different demand factors.

I have had pretty much the same questions each time as well (x5). Feeling dumb, although I have never had a single correction or rejection of my calculations used in real-life situations.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Electrical Simpleton

Rewards Points: 1,024

When I took my examination to be certified as an electrical plans examiner here in Ohio I had to constantly remind myself to only answer the question as asked... although I knew there were other variables to arrive at the actual correct answer.

Could it be that you over-thinking? Sometimes the answer exams want aren't "correct" in the real world.

Pete
Old 04-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 2,214
Send a message via ICQ to wildleg

1) post some examples you don't understand the answers to
2) I can't imagine even if you missed all the duplex questions that you would fail the exam, unless your test is vastly differerent from the one I took in MD, so I am guessing that you are just marginal on some of the other stuff ? maybe you need to study for a few more months (just throwing out suggestions here.)
As President Roosevelt said: "We have nothing to fear but fear itself. And Chuck Norris. And 滿口胡言. And Grabthar's hammer. And Gort. and 江南 Style. and rotting in the street and Zombies . . . and Wayne Griffen "
wildleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #6

Major Load Calcs is only 10 questions, so missing (4) will fail you. Reading the NEC and prep books again and again has not raised my score 1% in (5) exams. When I passed this in 2005, the proctor said I was 1st of the last 96 to pass.

Examples are like .6 kw disp, 1.2 kw dish, 4.5 kw water heater, 21 amp/240 AC, (2) 8kw ovens in each side of a duplex

or, same-ish loads in a (10) or (30) unit multi-fam.+ "do not include laundry or house loads"
Old 04-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
Cow

Rewards Points: 538

I just passed my Oregon Supervisors test a couple weeks ago and was thinking about gearing up to take the Washington test. Now you have me worried....

I have been told Oregon's is one of the toughest, but maybe those people haven't taken the Washington test...

I took a class by John Powell for Oregon's Supervisor exam.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #8

I don't know which side of the mountains you are on, but try to look up a gentleman named Don Patten (Not sure if the spelling is correct) he teaches prep classes and continuing education. I took one of his classes several years ago and passed the General Admin test. Code sections the first time and major calculations on the third. I'm nothing more than a lowly 02 resi guy too.
asphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

n
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt View Post
I don't know which side of the mountains you are on, but try to look up a gentleman named Don Patten (Not sure if the spelling is correct) he teaches prep classes and continuing education. I took one of his classes several years ago and passed the General Admin test. Code sections the first time and major calculations on the third. I'm nothing more than a lowly 02 resi guy too.
I took a class from don patten, good teacher he knew his stuff
mikeg_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:47 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow View Post
I just passed my Oregon Supervisors test a couple weeks ago and was thinking about gearing up to take the Washington test. Now you have me worried....

I have been told Oregon's is one of the toughest, but maybe those people haven't taken the Washington test...

I took a class by John Powell for Oregon's Supervisor exam.
I have a Washington Administrator License as well as a Washington Journeyman license.

Don't have the hours yet for the Oregon Supervisor but I've got a running tally... should be a bit more than a year and I'll be able to do that Gonna take the John Powell course too.

Anyway the Washington one was tough, I studied a Mike Holt calculations book as well as one of the NJATC calculations books. I passed that section with a 70 first time but it wasn't easy.

Honestly my toughest section of both the Journeyman and Administrator tests was the WAC/RCW crap. Holy smokes, Washington has some screwball organization methods for their administrative rules I actually failed that section when I did the Admin test. I was so worried about the calculations that I glossed over the WAC/RCW in my studies. Had to take that section again.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
crispy critter

Rewards Points: 1,000

Take a prep class. John Powell has a good one.

Tags
administrator, major load calculations, master electrician, washington state exams