CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 08-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Les Voltage

Default Watt Stopper HELP!!

I didnt install these and they have only been in for about 3 months. the EC that installed them are now out of business.

These are WattStopper’s DT-200 Series Dual Technology
Ceiling Sensors combine PIR and ultrasonic
technologies into one unit to achieve precise
coverage in detecting occupancy.

I can get them to turn on and off when in test mode, but when I try and set the time for how long they stay on, I cant them to work with any consistency. Most of the time they wont turn off.

What I have is a the power pack with the DT-200 sensor. My problem is not in the wiring, its in the sensors...well at lest I think so.

I think the problem might be the air temp in the room. These are small 2 stall bathrooms at a camping park, and the rooms dont have AC and is very hot in the rooms.

Here is a link to the cut sheet of the device i have.

http://www.wattstopper.com/Commercia...llSensors.html

Voltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #2

Best piece of advice would be simply install new ones from a different manufacturer. If your having that much trouble with them chances are they are deffective to begin with.

meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Sideways Sparky

I have always had good luck with wattstopper and have used them in situations exactly as you describe. Sorry, I can't be of more help but I just don't want you to be too hasty in tearing them out.

Have you made any adjustments to the sensor sensitivity levels?
farlsincharge is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to farlsincharge For This Useful Post:
jhall.sparky (08-20-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Les Voltage

I just wondered if anyone else has come across problem with these because of a high room temperature in the with the sensor.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Les Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlsincharge View Post
I have always had good luck with wattstopper and have used them in situations exactly as you describe. Sorry, I can't be of more help but I just don't want you to be too hasty in tearing them out.

Your the guy I was looking for

I don't want to take them out. Ever had any issues with them being to close to light's in the room?

I have messed with the settings, If I leave them on test mode they work great..The cust wants them to remain on for 30 mins. seems the longer I leave them to stay on, the more problems I have getting them to turn off.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to gardiner Send a message via Yahoo to gardiner

We did a project about a year ago with Watt Stoppers where some developed the same type of problem after a couple of months in each case the areas they were in had extremely high humidity. Could be your having the same problem.
gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
BR549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltech View Post
I didnt install these and they have only been in for about 3 months. the EC that installed them are now out of business.

These are WattStopper’s DT-200 Series Dual Technology
Ceiling Sensors combine PIR and ultrasonic
technologies into one unit to achieve precise
coverage in detecting occupancy.

I can get them to turn on and off when in test mode, but when I try and set the time for how long they stay on, I cant them to work with any consistency. Most of the time they wont turn off.

What I have is a the power pack with the DT-200 sensor. My problem is not in the wiring, its in the sensors...well at lest I think so.

I think the problem might be the air temp in the room. These are small 2 stall bathrooms at a camping park, and the rooms dont have AC and is very hot in the rooms.

Here is a link to the cut sheet of the device i have.

http://www.wattstopper.com/Commercia...llSensors.html

If you remove power and then re-power them with no change in performance, call the customer service number, they might send you some new ones. Someone could have wet them or something.
jrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Les Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlsincharge View Post

I have adjusted the the turn setting in the unit and have turned off the ultrasonic part of them off.

Maybe I need to turn the PIP off and use only the ultrasonic sensor on. I have also turned off the auto part as well
Old 08-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
Les Voltage

I have not talked to anyone who has installed these or anything like it. The ones that do always say, " Are those things that you have to wire a little box with them too.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
Les Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardiner View Post
We did a project about a year ago with Watt Stoppers where some developed the same type of problem after a couple of months in each case the areas they were in had extremely high humidity. Could be your having the same problem.
Nice I have never delt with these before and this is top of my list of reasons.

DDo you think the issue was from the moisture from the humidity or just the heat and room temp. They have some in the shower houses that work flawlessly, but those rooms have some air movement that keeps those room a bit cooler
Old 08-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to gardiner Send a message via Yahoo to gardiner

[quote=Voltech;516644]

DDo you think the issue was from the moisture from the humidity or just the heat and room temp. They have some in the shower houses that work flawlessly, but those rooms have some air movement that keeps those room a bit cooler[/QUOTE

There might of been a lot of heat involved, I am not sure I only got the report back that this occurred and was not the electrician that dealt with it. But then it was in the southern states during the summer so it might have been heat and humidity.
gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
Registered Member

are you using the switch replacement with the push button on / off switch and os?

i had a problem once with the ceiling mounted os throwing of the os in the combo switch so i wired it to another zone .
jhall.sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
Les Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall.sparky View Post
are you using the switch replacement with the push button on / off switch and os?

i had a problem once with the ceiling mounted os throwing of the os in the combo switch so i wired it to another zone .

No, no switch, just the OS
Old 08-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #14

Personally, when I run into issues with a product like that, one that I've never really used before, my first step is to get a copy of the literature or make a call to the manufacturer.

Sometimes the answer is something I'd have figured out on my own without much trouble, but a lot of times I've found that there are undocumented shortcomings or features that the tech/engineer informs me of that totally saves my bacon and lets me give the client a solid and intelligent answer why they are having issues with the system and how it can be solved.

One thing that I'll mention, is be as accurate as possible with the guy you're dealing with about every detail possible, from the model number, voltage, the environment the sensors are in, how they are arranged, etc. The more accurate information the better, it often makes a huge difference.

I don't know how many times I've heard "Oh wait a minute! Are you talking about Rev 1.c of model ###.###.#?...."
Mike_586 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike_586 For This Useful Post:
danickstr (08-21-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltech View Post
I just wondered if anyone else has come across problem with these because of a high room temperature in the with the sensor.

the pir is not a problem as the temp scale top end is around 150*f........

how do you have them wired to the contactor panel? are the running on the DC side ?
Old 08-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #16
Les Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall.sparky View Post
the pir is not a problem as the temp scale top end is around 150*f........

how do you have them wired to the contactor panel? are the running on the DC side ?
Im not using a contactor, or what I would call a contactor. They are wired as follows,Im not using the line switch option

Old 08-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #17
Les Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_586 View Post
Personally, when I run into issues with a product like that, one that I've never really used before, my first step is to get a copy of the literature or make a call to the manufacturer.

Sometimes the answer is something I'd have figured out on my own without much trouble, but a lot of times I've found that there are undocumented shortcomings or features that the tech/engineer informs me of that totally saves my bacon and lets me give the client a solid and intelligent answer why they are having issues with the system and how it can be solved.

One thing that I'll mention, is be as accurate as possible with the guy you're dealing with about every detail possible, from the model number, voltage, the environment the sensors are in, how they are arranged, etc. The more accurate information the better, it often makes a huge difference.

I don't know how many times I've heard "Oh wait a minute! Are you talking about Rev 1.c of model ###.###.#?...."
Yeah that Was the 1st thing I did, I have all the docs that wattstopper provides for this model (online) I would have called them but they are only open M-F
Old 08-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #18
Registered Member

jumper the call control and check the power pack voltage make sure its not acting up.

also test the continuity of the control with a piece of tape covering the sensor pick ups if its stuck itll show up here.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #19

I had a power pack acting up and it caused the os to not time out so it stayed on. It was a loose connection in a splice. They have a warm up time similer to a photo eye but longer it is in the literature so when the connection arced it would reset the unit it never got out of the warm up mode. Also there was an issue with air movement moving window blinds and we think another issue was a flag outside a window activating one. They are a real royal pain. try the setting on walk through it will stay on for the setpoint. but if it doesn't sense any movement within the first couple onf minutes it will turn off quicker.
sparky105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky105 View Post
and we think another issue was a flag outside a window activating one. They are a real royal pain.
Where did you find one that works through windows? All the units I have ever installed do not work through windows?

CanadianSparky is offline   Reply With Quote