CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 04-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Default Westinghouse DS-206

im looking for some information on this breaker. its a westinghouse DS-206

HCECalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 2,000

HCE Alaska :

I am not sure if you were aware or not the Westinghouse breaker is merged with Cluter-Hammer [ SP ]

the DS- 206 ? is that correct model ?? that from the switchboard or load centere breaker ?

sorry for few simple question but once i know i can able " zoom " in the correct spot and i recalled there were a listing that the UL did approve for using the CH breaker in the Westinghouse breaker or enclosure.

I think Marc { MDShunk } may have the link for that i am not sure if that will cover this model or not.

Merci , Marc

P.S. check this link i dont know if that will help you on this one http://www.circuitbreakersales.com/W...t_breakers.htm

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 04-24-2007 at 04:56 PM. Reason: add a link for this
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCECalaska View Post
im looking for some information on this breaker. its a westinghouse DS-206
It's a big 480 draw-out breaker

Last edited by MDShunk; 04-24-2007 at 05:04 PM.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
Modérateur

that pretty big one allright little more bigger than i was expcting for this size.

I am sure the CH do have something can match up to the exsting Westinghouse breaker.

Merci , Marc
Old 04-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #5

that would be the breaker, what can information can you tell me about this.. i know the ones that were on site are a 600amp frame.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
Wire Ninja

The draw-out version of the Cutler-Hammer 'Magnum DS' is the retro-fill for that breaker.

http://www.eatonelectrical.com/unsec.../PG22G01TE.PDF
Old 04-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #7

What in particular do you need to know, just tested some last week, can supply you with contact for purchase of used, retrofitted or new.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
Wire Ninja

Quote:
that would be the breaker, what can information can you tell me about this.. i know the ones that were on site are a 600amp frame.
The options are limitless with any of the DS breakers. They are 100% breakers, that much I know for sure. Here's the manual for the DSII's, which are about the closest thing still made:

http://www.eatonelectrical.com/unsec...s1/694C694.PDF
Old 04-24-2007, 06:10 PM   #9

I went and did a site visit for a job on Shemya island. the owner is going to have 4 new 60hp pumps installed and since i will be doing work there anyway this summer would like me to do the electrical hook up. i was told the existing system was in rough shape.. rough dosnt cover it. the existing system is comprised of 4 pump stations. (3) 75hp 480v pumps and (1) 50hp 480v pump. the SOP for running the pumps is to close the breaker (DS-206) feeding the pump disconnect. the pump disconnect is an old westinghouse combo starter that has had the starter gutted, so its no a knife disconnect. the operater closes the knife disconnect and the pump runs.
some of the items i see that needed to be changed are the following. 1) there is no overload protection. pumps should be on a size 3 starter with proper overloads at a minimum, and really should have a soft start. 2) the DS-206 have stamps on the name plate varring from 200amps to 600amps. the question i have is has the breaker been adjusted (or is it cabable of being adjusted for the proper amperage). there is a large heat exchanger 12" diamiter x 12' long on the ground infront of the disconnects. impeding on the working clearance. 3) the pipes feeding the pumps are supported from the ceiling and thats it. no support within 3' of pipe end. 4) no equipment groundign conductor.
my question on this post started with wanting to learn if the DS-206 can be adjusted down to the 120-110 amp range so that the new starter has the proper over current protection?
Old 04-24-2007, 06:41 PM   #10
Wire Ninja

Quote:
my question on this post started with wanting to learn if the DS-206 can be adjusted down to the 120-110 amp range so that the new starter has the proper over current protection?
All the catalog information I have shows 200 amp as the lower limit. Best I got...
Old 04-25-2007, 02:06 AM   #11
Modérateur

Quote:

The other option you can do is get the breaker set on " 200 " amp setting and get fused disconnection switch to sized down to 125 amp size to protect 75 hp motor[s] but for other motors you may end up just get 100 amp disconnect switch and use 100 amp fuse or smaller depending on hp rating.

so just a thought to let you know there is other way you can get around with this as well

Merci, Marc
Old 04-25-2007, 06:01 AM   #12

There are several levels of OCP that were offered with this CB Amptector I and Amptector II are the most common, there are also retrofits available from the manufacture and several after market retro fitters. The Amptector I and II are IMO GREATstatic OCP devices. These OCPs use a true ratio CT, that is, some current value to 5 (600/5 in a 60 amp CB). Check the CT's or look for a label on the CB.

Often you may have a 600 amp frame with 200, 400 or 600 amp CT's, this is further adjustable on the Amptector static trip device. A 600 with Long TIme set at .5 will become a 300 amp CB. Typically the Long Time Adjustments are .5-1.1. times the CT rating. The device may offer Long Time, Short Time, Instantaneous or GFP (LSIG) or any of one or two of these features.

This CB does need service as there are many mechanical components and when manufactured petroleum based lubricants were utilized. Petroleum based lubricants dry out over time, freeze (ALASKA), get contaminated with dirt, dust, metal filings, ECT. This will slow down the operation of the switch. Some CRC 2-26 and some careful cleaning can remedy this issues.

This CB is easy to test due to the 5 amp secondary CT's, a ratio current can be injected into the CT circuitry and ratioed to calculate the trips. IE instead of a large high current test a small high current test* set can be utilized. For instance the Long Time trip test would be at 300%, asssuming a 600 amp CB. this would require 1800 amps at the 5 amp secondary this would be 15 amps. Instantaneous would be at pick up which can be anywhere from 2-15 times the CB rating or require 1200-9000 ampsfor primary testing at the secondary this would be 10-75 amps. A much easier value to obtain.

Large high current test set, small high current test set like a Jumbo Shrimp.

Heck get me a PO I'll come home to sevice and test them.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #13

Brian, i might do that. lets talk $$