Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 08-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
btr

Question what is "clean power" and "dirty power"?

I have been in the trade for a few years and still learning, so bare with me.. I have heard many different terms in the field, but clean and dirty power are new to me. What does it mean on a commercial job site and what does it refer to? Im thinking ac/dc, transformer, etc.... Im drawing a blank. I know its not solar, wind, etc. Can you tell me what it means?

Thanks

btr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 08-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to kbsparky Send a message via AIM to kbsparky Send a message via Yahoo to kbsparky

"dirty" power has a lot of "noise" in it -- surges, sags, sine wave distortions, etc. Many electronic items (including newer ballasts) can't handle dirty power for very long without failure.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btr View Post
I have been in the trade for a few years and still learning, so bare with me.. I have heard many different terms in the field, but clean and dirty power are new to me. What does it mean on a commercial job site and what does it refer to? Im thinking ac/dc, transformer, etc.... Im drawing a blank. I know its not solar, wind, etc. Can you tell me what it means?

Thanks

See the wave form in my avatar? That is a perfect 60 cycle wave form and perfectly clean power. If it were powering something that was causing distortion or harmonics, you would see it on the oscilloscope as really erratic instead of smooth, that's dirty power.

Some triac dimmers chop off the front half of a wave form, some chop off the back half of a wave form, although not what I would consider "dirty power" it is certainlty not ideal, and can damage fan controllers in ceiling fans.
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #4

Default I agree

Kbsparky is most correct it is not a good condition to have. Ends up with lost of issues and is quite harmful
MaintenanceGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #5

dirty power can be cleaned up with the use of capacitors, in case you wanted to know.
jredwood301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:29 PM   #6
btr

Ill try to be a little clearer.

Im on a job site running seperate conduit runs for "clean power" and "dirty power". Although i dont know what they mean Im pretending to understand... Im at a new company and trying to understand the lingo from my new foreman/co-workers. At this time I dont need to terminate any wires, just continue the EMT runs so, I wont ask what the terms mean.. yet..

anything?
btr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
Chief Electron Relocator

Clean "Pure" sine wave:

"Dirty" sine wave:

Old 08-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #8

It sound like one run is " conditioned power" probably from a UPS, The other run is not. Just a guess.
ohmontherange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:42 PM   #9

Dont pretend to understand something you dont know, this is the wrong trade to act like a smart guy by not asking. Their is two many things that can HURT you. Their is nothing wrong with asking questions it shows you care about your career and want to learn. Dont be that guy that always screws things up on the job because his ego is to big to ask questions.

good luck
jredwood301 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jredwood301 For This Useful Post:
CraigV (03-05-2013), Jeff000 (08-29-2010)
Old 08-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
Nothin' To Lose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jredwood301 View Post
Dont pretend to understand something you dont know, this is the wrong trade to act like a smart guy by not asking. Their is two many things that can HURT you. Their is nothing wrong with asking questions it shows you care about your career and want to learn. Dont be that guy that always screws things up on the job because his ego is to big to ask questions.

good luck

Welcome to ET!

-- Andrew Carnegie
Magnettica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #11

The terms are relative to the end user, anything that effects your operation. If it doesn't effect your facility there is no issue.

Often (quite often) the power is blamed for anything that goes wrong and the term "dirty power" gets thrown at all issues that in reality are hardware or software problems.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brian john For This Useful Post:
CraigV (03-05-2013)
Old 08-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #12

Most likely what they are talking about is "dirty" power is used for receptacles or lighting.

Your "clean" power is an IG circuit, A neutral and a ground for each circuit Instead of sharing a neutral for every 3 circuits and 1 ground per pipe. This will be used for point of sale equipment and computer loads.
Some of the ones I've done you can share a neutral, some you can't. It just depends on how it is speced.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:14 PM   #13

Speaking of clean power, has anyone ever worked with something like this ?
Vintage Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsilkwood View Post
Most likely what they are talking about is "dirty" power is used for receptacles or lighting.

Your "clean" power is an IG circuit, A neutral and a ground for each circuit Instead of sharing a neutral for every 3 circuits and 1 ground per pipe. This will be used for point of sale equipment and computer loads.
Some of the ones I've done you can share a neutral, some you can't. It just depends on how it is speced.
IG has nothing to do with whether or not a branch circuit can provide usable power to equipment, other than to waste copper.

NOW spec's are something different if the customer wants it for some who doo voo doo electrical engineering, they pay for it they get it.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
Often (quite often) the power is blamed for anything that goes wrong and the term "dirty power" gets thrown at all issues that in reality are hardware or software problems.
It's always a power issue when equipment doesn't work right.
That or a gorund rod.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #16

Quote:
it's always a power issue when equipment doesn't work right.
That or a gorund rod.
true......................
Old 08-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #17
Nothin' To Lose

Are harmonic currents known as "dirty power"?

And is the fix for this dirty power a super (oversized) neutral?

I've always thought that dirty power was power that created electrical noise.

-- Andrew Carnegie
Magnettica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
IG has nothing to do with whether or not a branch circuit can provide usable power to equipment, other than to waste copper.

NOW spec's are something different if the customer wants it for some who doo voo doo electrical engineering, they pay for it they get it.
I know that and you know that, but it amazes me how many engineers don't.
Like you said, if they want to pay for it I'm more than happy to run twice the pipe and pull more wire in.

The OP said commercial so I bet this is what he is talking about. If he was industrial I would lean more towards an isolation transformer or reactor.
Semi-Ret Electrician (03-05-2013)
Old 08-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #19

Clean power has its own transformer (K-factor or an non-linear type). A clean power panel (which is nothing more than a regular panel with a 200% rated neutral). And if its true clean power it will have one neutral for one circuit (no neutral sharing). Non linear loads (switching power supplies, electronic ballast..etc.) cause harmonic distortion, mostly on the odd numbered harmonics.
Most affected is the 120/208Y system. Single phase 120/240 does not seem to have the same harmonic distortion problem.
Skipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #20

Quote:
I know that and you know that, but it amazes me how many engineers don't.
Like you said, if they want to pay for it I'm more than happy to run twice the pipe and pull more wire in.

The OP said commercial so I bet this is what he is talking about. If he was industrial I would lean more towards an isolation transformer or reactor.
Hey I have seen numerous ground rods driven outside office buildings for a PQ issue on the 12th floor of a high rise.