CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 07-21-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
vos

Default What's the difference

What is the difference between an journeyman and a master electrician ?

vos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

In my area, the ability to contract electrical work and obtain permits for the jobs.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
In my area, the ability to contract electrical work and obtain permits for the jobs.
Same here! You can not pull permits in CO unless you have a master license.
Colorado Fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:29 AM   #4

Semantics.

I think of journeyman as a union term (after a 4 year apprenticship) but I assume it is used in open shops too (most of the work here is non union).

Master is never ever used here. I assume that some states require an individual to pass a test to obtain a masters licence.

I call myself and my guys electricians.....or idiots.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:26 AM   #5

No such thing in ca as a "master electrician", it's only self proclaimed, and makes me laugh. I'll be taking the MI masters exam within the next year.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:16 AM   #6

Kentucky has three electrical license classifications: Journeyman, Master, and Contractor. The "Master" license is essentially a foreman license. A master license requires twice the time in trade as a journeyman. By Kentucky law someone with a master license must be present on any job site where electrical work is in progress. In this state a "master" can not pull a permit, but you can be held accountable if the work under your supervision is not code compliant. To pull a permit you must have a contractor license. If a person is a one man operation, they must have a contractor and a master license in this state.

All three licenses require a test and verifiable experience to initially get the license: 4 years Journeyman, 8 years Master, and CE hours each year. You must renew your license(s) each year.

Last edited by varmit; 07-21-2010 at 09:04 PM.
varmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:19 AM   #7

Maine has 3 levels of electrician license other than specialty licenses;

Helper Electrician
Journeyman Electrician
Master Electrician

Journeyman and Master level licenses both require one fulfill educational requirements, as well as proving hours of experience and passing a test.

A Master Electrician can work on their own, direct the work of Journeymen and Helpers and pull permits.

"fool-proof systems do not take into account the ingenuity of fools"
TheRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:34 AM   #8
Fried Bologna um um good!

We have no master license. You can get your Journeymans licence thru the county or take the state test thru the state and become an electrical contractor.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:58 AM   #9
Registered Member

4 yrs to test for journeyman
10 years to test for master

Don't know for sure, but I've been told VA's Master test is one of the toughest in the country

Continuing ED every two years
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #10

Here in Ontario, Canada, after you serve your apprenticeship and pass the test to become a journeyman you have to wait three more years to take the masters exam. The journeyman's exam is all about the electrical code, but the masters exam is also about every other code that an electrician needs to worry about, like building codes, fire codes, etc.

Mike
Mike in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:33 AM   #11

Here in MA.

A journeyman may pull permits but a Journeyman electrician shall have no more than one apprentice/helper under his or her direct supervision or employ and two or more Journeyman electricians shall not associate as partners or otherwise engage in the business or occupation of installing, repairing or maintaining wires, conduits, apparatus, devices, fixtures, or other appliances used for light, heat, power, fire warning or security system purposes without obtaining the necessary Master electrician license.

Masters can run a bossiness but also need to maintain their J-man card if they still work with tools.
Bob Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:52 AM   #12
Jesus Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Badger View Post

Masters can run a bossiness but also need to maintain their J-man card if they still work with tools.
I still don't listen to myself.
electricmanscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #13
BR549

Here in Florida, we do not have Journeyman or Master licenses at the State level.
Journeyman and Master licenses are issues on the County level. The County requirements vary slightly.
One example is Miami-Dade County
You have to be able to prove three years in the trade and have W-2s to prove it. There are some exceptions but for the average person, thats what it is. The exam is code and practical knowledge.

The Master exam is a bit different. You must prove that you have worked in the trade as a Journeyman for three years, supervised people, and worked a good % of your time on three phase systems.
The exam is part business, part code, commercial load calculations and part practical knowledge. A County Master Electrician can only pull permits in the county they have their license in. They cannot contract for Fire or Bugler Alarms for some reason.

BTW,
Union apprentices must have a County Journeyman License before they are allowed to graduate and be accepted as an "Inside Wireman". The local union does not recognized a "Master Electrician" classification and therefore the only guys that usually take that exam are looking for inspector jobs or contracting.
jrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #14
Proud Navy Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrannis View Post
Here in Florida, we do not have Journeyman or Master licenses at the State level.
Journeyman and Master licenses are issues on the County level. The County requirements vary slightly.
One example is Miami-Dade County
You have to be able to prove three years in the trade and have W-2s to prove it. There are some exceptions but for the average person, thats what it is. The exam is code and practical knowledge.

The Master exam is a bit different. You must prove that you have worked in the trade as a Journeyman for three years, supervised people, and worked a good % of your time on three phase systems.
The exam is part business, part code, commercial load calculations and part practical knowledge. A County Master Electrician can only pull permits in the county they have their license in. They cannot contract for Fire or Bugler Alarms for some reason.

BTW,
Union apprentices must have a County Journeyman License before they are allowed to graduate and be accepted as an "Inside Wireman". The local union does not recognized a "Master Electrician" classification and therefore the only guys that usually take that exam are looking for inspector jobs or contracting.
Wrong answer, Florida does have a statewide Master's license, it is the EC (Certified Master). The ER is the Registered Master which is the county level. An EC is a full unlimited electrical contractor, meaning he can do fire alarm work.

An ER is a county level Master but can work in other counties providing a letter of reciprocity is sent from the issuing county to the county you want to work in and you have to be bonded in that county. It boils down to money.

An EC on the other hand can work in any county all he has to do is register in that county in order to pull permits.

The only problem with an ER is if you took the test in a county that requires a 70% to pass, you are stuck in that county. The rest of the counties that require a 75% to pass you are good to go.

Journeyman is county level only, and can not pull permits, or contract for work.

Innovative can chime in, I think he is an EC.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

[quote=mcclary's electrical;25811
Continuing ED every two years[/quote]

No requirement here.. some guys have not bought a code book since they passed their Masters test.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black4Truck View Post
No requirement here.. some guys have not bought a code book since they passed their Masters test.

The continuing ed is kind of a pain, but it's actually a good thing. There were a bunch of guys running around with "combo" electrical, plumbing and hvac licenses that they aquired in the 70's. They were running around bidding all 3 trades and knew very little about any of the three.

Contiinuing ed put a stop to that
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #17
I void warranties

I think requiring continuing ed. is stupid, not because its a waste of time but because if your a professional that cares about what your doing learning new stuff related to what you do should be something you should do automatically, not be told to.

Just my 2 round things with Abraham Lincoln's picture on them
Jlarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:14 PM   #18
BR549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Wrong answer, Florida does have a statewide Master's license, it is the EC (Certified Master).
As you were!!, Wrong Answer!!

Im an EC. In fact, I have 3 separate EC licenses in Florida. None of them say "Certified Master" the only "Master Electrician" license I was ever issued was on the county level. The State of Florida does not have anything titled "Certified master"
Know your facts before you throw it down on the "master"....
jrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #19
Infiltrator

We have Apprentice, Journeyman, and Master in Idaho.....gotta fulfill 8000 hours OTJ training and prove a minimum of 576 hours in class for JW. Master requires that you are a JW for at least four years and pass the exam. Gotta be a Master electrician to become an EC or you must employ at least one Master. Continuing education is required every 3 years.......I think the only requirement for being a "helper" here is to be fluent in any language besides English