CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,130
Default Where's my UFER?

I made a few trips to Lowes for more CFL's for my house. On one of the trips I talked to an electrical contractor(I was envying his truck). We talked about ufers and he was saying that when he planned to use the poured basement re-bar, a lot of times he returned to see the concrete totally covered in tar by the GC for protection. What do you do in a case like that? It seems the conductivity would be a problem. I've never installed one so I'm just asking.

Last edited by RIVETER; 02-28-2010 at 08:37 PM.
RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
ADMIRAL STARFLEET COMMAND

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via MSN to BEAMEUP

never mind, mis-understood the question

Last edited by BEAMEUP; 02-28-2010 at 05:16 PM.
BEAMEUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVETER View Post
....., a lot of times he returned to see the concrete totally covered in tar by the GC for protection. What do you do in a case like that? It seems the conductivity would have a problem.
Most UFERs would originate in the footings, no? So walls coated with tar would pose no problem.

Does anyone use UFER connections to the poured wall rebar? I would think footing connections would be MUCH easier.

We do not do UFERs here so I am truly curious.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
Jesus Scott

Rewards Points: 2,000

I don't get it either. The uffer is supposed to be in the base of the footing. How one would get tar there is beyond me.
electricmanscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,082

I surely hope the tar is not on the floor but rather on the outside walls. The ufer could be connected to the rebar in the wall as long as that rebar is connected to the rebar in the footing and there is at least 20'.

I put my ufer in the footing but I believe what I stated above is compliant.

The tar should not affect the conductivity of the ufer that is connected in the footings.

I hope his ufer is not in the basement slab because that would not be compliant but I am having trouble understanding what was done. Please clarify
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
Fried Bologna um um good!

Last job I did I just used 20 ft or #4 bare because none of the concrete guys spoke english. Didnt want to come back and find all the rebar covered in concrete.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

How do you guys pronounce "ufer"?
gilbequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
Enlightened Rat

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbequick View Post
"you-fur"
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #9

That's the way I've always pronounced it, you-fer, but I heard someone else say it ooo-fer and I thought that was pretty odd. Just checking.
gilbequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbequick View Post
I always pronounced it U Fer however, I believe OO Fer is the correct pronunciation. I believe it is an Austrian or German name so someone is probably using that pronunciation.

Last edited by Dennis Alwon; 02-28-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
den

we use ufer's in the footings and have it come up on the inside wall at least 2'. We have to have it accesable at all times so we use pvc conduit and a pvc 4x4 at the clamp so it don't look bad on finished wall
Old 02-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by den View Post
we use ufer's in the footings and have it come up on the inside wall at least 2'. We have to have it accesable at all times so we use pvc conduit and a pvc 4x4 at the clamp so it don't look bad on finished wall
What has to be accessible at all time?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #13

another odd thing about using the footer rebar, I can't remember the last time I saw footer rebar that wasn't coated with plastic.

I wonder why anybody would coat a footer with tar. Moisture is needed for concrete to cure. Very odd.
waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by waco View Post
another odd thing about using the footer rebar, I can't remember the last time I saw footer rebar that wasn't coated with plastic.

I wonder why anybody would coat a footer with tar. Moisture is needed for concrete to cure. Very odd.
I have never seen that-- in that case I would just use 20' of #4 copper in the footer and don't tie it to anything.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #15
den

We have to have it accessible at any time (inspecter said so) Don't know if this nec rule but we have to keep it where visible or have an acsess panel. We have a lot of metal lined shops here so my pvc thing looks like "more electrical" coming out of brkr pannel and you can't see rusty rebar
Old 02-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,046

Quote:
a lot of times he returned to see the concrete totally covered in tar by the GC for protection.
I hope you mean rebar covered in tar.

Actually, I hope you don't mean that either.

I've never seen rusty rebar inside of concrete. Maybe it starts to rust in rainy climates and they worry about it continuing after the concrete is poured?

In any case, I'd just tie to the rebar, "tar" or not.
220/221 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #17

Default Where is my ufer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
I surely hope the tar is not on the floor but rather on the outside walls. The ufer could be connected to the rebar in the wall as long as that rebar is connected to the rebar in the footing and there is at least 20'.

I put my ufer in the footing but I believe what I stated above is compliant.

The tar should not affect the conductivity of the ufer that is connected in the footings.

I hope his ufer is not in the basement slab because that would not be compliant but I am having trouble understanding what was done. Please clarify
In talking to this guy it was my understanding that he has used the re-bar in the walls as long as there were connecting wires on the re-bar. He also said that he did the copper thing with #4@20'. To me after hearing about the tar I can see the reason for using the base slab. However, I seem to remember that the basement floor may be poured after the walls are done and used as forms. Do you make sure that a re-bar is turned out into the slab area? Are the GCs cooperative enough to do that?
Old 02-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVETER View Post
Do you make sure that a re-bar is turned out into the slab area? Are the GCs cooperative enough to do that?
There is no reason to turn out the rebar from the footer. All you need is #4 in the footer and connect it to the rebar with an acorn clamp. Most are suitable for direct burial in concrete.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #19

Default Where's my UFER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
There is no reason to turn out the rebar from the footer. All you need is #4 in the footer and connect it to the rebar with an acorn clamp. Most are suitable for direct burial in concrete.
So, you are saying that if , as I said, the walls are poured first, you would then attach the #4 bare copper TO the re-bar in the slab(floor) and then bring it out of the concrete and run exposed to the vicinity of the panel? Or would it be better to run it on the ground under the concrete walls before they are poured?
Old 02-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #20

No problem here, rebar in the footing-turned up and tied to rebar in the foundation wall. The end sticks out of the top of the foundation wall.very close to the panel location.

No boxes etc. always accessible too. why make it hard?

leland is online now   Reply With Quote