Wiring Dayton Exhaust Fan Motor - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 10-10-2008, 11:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77
Default Wiring Dayton Exhaust Fan Motor

A client has a 1/4 HP Dayton exhaust fan (3XK51F) with a lot of wires coming out: Green, Orange, Brown, Violet, White, Yellow, Black, Red. He wants to run the fan on 120 volts. I know it can be connected to run on 120 V or 240 V. Does anyone know how it should be wired??
czars is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-10-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 508

Lemme guess.... no instructions or wiring diagram.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via ICQ to kbsparky Send a message via AIM to kbsparky Send a message via Yahoo to kbsparky

Grainger's web site is currently down for maintenance, so I can't check there for the instructions ....

Edit to add: The web site is now up, more information and links available in post #6 below.

Last edited by kbsparky; 10-11-2008 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Web site now working
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:28 AM   #4
Modérateur

Here the typical NEMA single phase motor colour:

1 Bleu
2 White
3 Orange
4 Yellow
5 Black
6 NCA [ no colour assigned ]
7 NCA
8 Red
P1 NCA
P2 Brown

Bear in your mind this chart may change a little due they somehow add new colour so If that the case i will make a note of it.

Quote:
A client has a 1/4 HP Dayton exhaust fan (3XK51F) with a lot of wires coming out: Green, Orange, Brown, Violet, White, Yellow, Black, Red.
Ok i will try it here.,, But the green and violet is not listed here but you may want to confirmed on the wire itself { useally will have stamped number as well }

For low voltage connection CCW rotation

L1 1,3,8

L2 2,4,5

to reverse the motor roation you will have to swap both #5 and 8 around.

However I do have condersation about the brown wire which it useally normally used with the thermal protector.

I really suggest that you get ahold or look at the motor nameplate for most recent updated connection diagram.

It should be pretty close the same as I say above unless diffrent so please double check it.

Merci,Marc
Old 10-11-2008, 07:16 AM   #5

Smile Wiring Dayton Exhaust Fan Motor

Thanks for the help. I'll uninstall the motor and look for a wiring diagram. Maybe it will match the NEMA standards.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via ICQ to kbsparky Send a message via AIM to kbsparky Send a message via Yahoo to kbsparky

That motor is listed as ¼ HP totally enclosed capacitor-start. At least 2 of those leads are intended for connection to the capacitor. The exhaust fan is rated for hazardous locations with 12" aluminum blades:

You can obtain the installation instructions from Grainger.com by clicking here.

Those instructions do not offer the motor connection wiring scheme, however there is a phone number listed there for parts information.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,086

Did you not check your post on the DIY forum?
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #8

Smile Wiring a Dayton Exhaust Fan Motor

OK! The problem is solved. I uninstalled the fan and there was wiring information on the side near the bottom of the motor. Here's the information.

For 120 VAC operation, CCW rotation.

Line 1 connect to Violet

Connect Brown, Orange and Red together

Line 2 connect to White, Yellow and Black

For CW rotation, interchange Red and Black

Thanks for the interest.