CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 09-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Wiring a lunch truck

Does anyone have experience in this? I own a small electrical company that does primarily residential work and I was asked if I'd willing to give it a shot. I told them I am willing, however, I made it very clear that this would be a learning experience for me( I will obviously bill accordingly). They said they can't find anyone else so that's fine. I'd like to hear from some of you that may have experience and know some unexpected things I may run into to.

Please give your honest opinions(as I know you will) on whether or not I should even take the job. I would love the experience and to help the lady out as it's a friend of a friend's. And let's be honest, I could use the work!

EricS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Dr Evil

Rewards Points: 2,206

Lunch truck or retired RV turned hot dog truck?

Shockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #3

Haha. Let's assume the worst. If the truck doesn't already have wiring it was probably at one point owned by UHall...
Old 09-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Dr Evil

Rewards Points: 2,206

I don't know of any codes that would apply to a vehicle. SJ cord.
Shockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

How large is the truck? Gas? Diesel? Heating? Cooling? What kind of alternator is under the hood? If it isn't at least 200 amp's that's going to have to be replaced with a 250+. Is it going to be all DC? Or does she plan on sticking some AC equipment back there?
azgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #6

I just saw a few pictures and what it looks like is more of a remodel. Definitely was properly built into a lunch truck and now it looks like they're redoing a lot of it. There was no pictures of the front of the truck so I'm unsure of the make but It's way larger then I expected. Definitely selling more then hot dogs! Let me give her a call in the next couple days and I'll post as much info as I can. Thanks a lot!
Old 09-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,818

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS View Post
Haha. Let's assume the worst. If the truck doesn't already have wiring it was probably at one point owned by UHall...
Ask B4T about Uhauls....
Old 09-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
NO high voltage here

Rewards Points: 1,040

dc, or ac?

I know how to wire cars in DC very very well.
mikeh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS View Post
I just saw a few pictures and what it looks like is more of a remodel. Definitely was properly built into a lunch truck and now it looks like they're redoing a lot of it. There was no pictures of the front of the truck so I'm unsure of the make but It's way larger then I expected. Definitely selling more then hot dogs! Let me give her a call in the next couple days and I'll post as much info as I can. Thanks a lot!
I have seen alot of these popping up around my area lately. Most the ones Ihave seen have there own generator for lighting, refrigeration units etc. All the cooking tops/ovens are gas.
CanadianSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CanadianSparky For This Useful Post:
Magnettica (09-11-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would ask EricS37 how he would do it.
user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,092

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D View Post
I would ask EricS37 how he would do it.
I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot stick.

But I have seen a few roach coaches down on the Bayfront. They look like they primarily run everything off of propane for cooking. I think you can buy 12 volt DC appliances but I don't know if they would be capable of heavy duty commercial food prep. Might need to hook 'em up with a good inverter for regular 120v appliances.

Honestly I'm talking completely out of my ass because I've never wired one before and I really don't want to.

Last edited by erics37; 09-10-2012 at 11:38 PM.
erics37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #12
Bababoee

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would use seal tight, gfci countertops, small sub from generator with shore hook up when available ac. Possibly a 50 amp inlet but its impossible to guess. Tell them to keep major cooking appliances to gas. Electric will require larger generator and shore hook up.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #13
NJ-IEC Member

Rewards Points: 2,036

I corrected the wiring on a lunch truck several years ago. Major pita. The original wiring consisted of a GE panel wired with 20 amp 120 volt 2-wire feeder for several other 20 amp sp circuits. This feeder was wired to a 50 amp 4-wire inlet that was manually welded to the side of the truck. It also had a transfer switch for the mobile generator built-in to truck. The whole thing had to be reworked for basic things like this.