Electrician Talk banner

Wiring nightmare

5K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  CraigV 
#1 ·
Found this mess when doing some work today. Owner didn't know why the clips were on the incoming lugs. It's 14/2 nm and the incoming breaker at the pole is 200 amps.

Attachments

See less See more
#11 · (Edited)
Here check this one out, this one was a major PIA to change out (did it two days ago)! Had cables coming in from all sides including the back (conduit from outside right in line with the bus of the new panel). Then the studs tapered tighter in the back of the bay so I had to pound on the damn box for almost two hours to get it in place. Then the feeders where to short..... Then there was the 8 two pole 50's (I had 3, don't know how I got that count magically wrong) and of course all the conductors where too short to reach the new breakers. Annndddd the 2" chase between the exterior meter to the new panel was too short, oh and I guess I didn't mention all the "creative" splicing the previous electricians did in the panel.....

But wait, there's more...(ok I'll spare you, but this one took 14 hours to replace!!! :eek: The norm for me is about 6 hours max) Oh and I got stung by a wasp too......

(End of rant)

EDIT: opps, I posted an "after" photo of one of Peter D's recent panel changes.... oh well I'll just leave it up. :thumbup:

#22 ·
The current owner talked to the previous owner about the clip-on's in the disconnect. Previous owner said" you have to put them back, because that is for the exit lights. And the Fire Marshal said you had to do it that way". I hope the "Fire Marshal" is retired now and not telling people to run unfused circuits through their buildings.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.