Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiring requirements

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Speedy Petey 
#1 ·
I'm new in this. I remember there was a formula to determine what the amp size of the conductors or wires need to be based on the amp specs of the load. Does anyone know what it is?

I think load has to be 80% of the breaker size. Is that right?

#2 ·
What is the load?
It's all in the code book, just in many places. Start with 210.2; see 210.19; then 210.20, and on and on.

What is it you are trying to do?

Are you an apprentice working for someone?

#3 ·
No, i'm not doing this professionally.

Say a plate on an electrical device says 30 amps. This is the only device that is going to be used on this circuit. The breaker has to be 125% or 1.25 times the 30 amps. But wire running between device and the breaker has to able to handle a load greater than 30 amps. Is there a formula or multiplier to determine how many amps of wire to use?

#4 ·
There is no way you are a professional with the question you are asking. Really sounds like a DIY'er.

#5 ·
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators/Admin of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

As stated in the sign up page, ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.