CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 09-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #1

Default Work Boots

I'm sure some or most of you guys don't wear the classic boot style work boot, perhaps hiking boots that are so common now or even tennis shoes.

But for work boots; what kind do you like, what kind didn't you like, do you oil them, with what and how often?

I used to wear the Caterpillars that had the clear portion on the bottom that stuck a bit further than the normal sole that made them feel like a pair of 'air jordans'. I oiled them with Mink Oil, though haven't oiled any of my boots since then other than a spray of W-D every now and then
Well Cat quit making those so I started wearing my nice boots, Doc Martens. I bought one pair for work and another pair 6 months later for looking nice.
The first pair were great, very comfortable and lasted 3 years until a shoe lace finally broke, so i started wearing the second pair which have been giving my feet hell for the past year. Well come to find out the first pair were the originals, but this second pair were made in China though still carrying the Doc Marten name. I'm pissed and want something new.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
Wire Ninja

I rotate a pair every other day, but they're both Herman Survivors. I don't think the brand is as important as rotating among several pairs of work boots. At least that's what's been working out for me the last few years. I have a MON-WED-FRI pair, and a TUE-THURS pair. When my MON-WED-FRI pair start to get uncomfortable, they get thrown out and the TUE-THURS pair not become my MON-WED-FRI pair and I get a new pair for TUE-THURS.

MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:03 PM   #3

That MD is probably the strangest thing pertaining to boots I've ever heard.

You like to keep things complicated don't you

EDIT- I just did a search for the brand named above, and no wonder you can't wear the same pair two days in a row.
I worked with a guy a year ago(he's dead now), but he said "all boots feel the same, the only difference in price is how long they last" After my obvious next question he said his last 6 months for 40 bucks a pair. I told him I paid 3 times as much and got 6 times the life and my work boots are more comfortable than my tennis shoes(just hottter)

Last edited by Joe Momma; 09-06-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Joe Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Momma View Post
That MD is probably the strangest thing pertaining to boots I've ever heard.
It's okay, Joe. I forgive you. It's a pretty simple system for me to remember, so I suppose that's all that matters.

Herman Survivors used to be a pretty esteemed brand. I would buy them off the "shoe truck" that visited a factory that I worked in once upon a time. They last few years, they're showing up at Wal-Mart also. I don't really have "picky feet", so maybe that's why I'm getting by.

I should say that when I know I'm going to be climing poles or working on a ladder all day, I choose my Wesco's. They're several hundred dollars, and worth every penny in my opinion.

Last edited by MDShunk; 09-06-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #5

Red Wing, Irish Setter, Rocky. I have about six or seven pairs of work boot alone. Then I have some hiking style lower cut "shoes for easy/trim/safe resi type work. Anything quality. You will not get my feet into anything cheap. If I sound like a shoe snob, oh well. I have tried cheap stuff very early on and found they are just NOT worth it. My feet are not worth it. The line that all boots are the same some just last longer is such B-S it's not even funny.

I have lightly (or non) insulated boots for spring through fall. Winters outside I have 1000g Thinsulate Rockys. The first pair lasted me two+ years and were almost $200. They were THE most comfortable boot I have ever worn.

I am very lucky to have a small mom & pop shoe store right in town. They bring in all sorts of Red Wing closeouts and seconds. I can get most of those boots at 40-50% off retail.

Quote:
I'm sure some or most of you guys don't wear the classic boot style work boot, perhaps hiking boots that are so common now or even tennis shoes.
I'm wondering why you would say this. Do you think anyone who is not in the union wears sneakers all the time?
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:50 PM   #6
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
I'm wondering why you would say this. Do you think anyone who is not in the union wears sneakers all the time?
That made me laugh.

I used to work at a factory near my home. I also like to run. The only time you saw me in sneakers is when I would choose to jog to work, then I'd arrive early to take a shower in the locker room at work and change into proper work boots.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:12 AM   #7
Proud Navy Veteran

I wear nothing but RedWing, that are EH rated. I wore Redwings in the Navy and if they survive that kind of abuse they can survive anything. Not to mention they are more comfortable than my sneakers.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:58 AM   #8

I wear a set of steel-toe Redwing loggers. I would say they are fairly comfortable for what they are, but my sneakers are way more comfortable. Ive never owned a pair of cheap boots so I really cant compare in that sense.

EDIT: Spelling
Mike M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #9

Sorry to admit these are my work shoes of choice VERY COMFTRABLE, easy on easy of safety inspectors frown at me and my employees ask if they sell men's shoes where I bought these.

brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:44 PM   #10

Location: Saxon Village near Doncaster. Buildings date to 8th century.Once a Roman Road

I have a similar pair. I call them bedroom slippers. Can't visit site wearing them though. One glance from the Site Manager and he would direct me towards the exit.
I buy '****ies' Boots. They are a cheaper range of work wear but light on the feet but have the obligatory steel toe cap. Again a site mandatory requirement. Which by the way is also true of - vis vest, safety helmet. Goggles-gloves. And valid documents for Site Safety. Use of grinder and or Stihl saw. Identification tag with photo - plus electricians grading card. Not forgetting Site Induction note together with Method Statement and Risk Assessment. But last and never least. Big box of home made sandwiches and chocolate cake. Yummy.

Frank

Last edited by frank; 09-07-2007 at 04:47 PM.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #11
Don't like know it alls

I always buy ****ies boots,a lot of the other makers don't seem to make them in size 13,sure they have them for kids size 9-11

Frank,maybe you need someone with you to help with the chocolate cake and big box of sandwiches,its a chore but i am willing to help

Chris
chrisb271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #12

30% of my jobs I am there because they are in trouble and need my assistance, they usually say nothing, another 40% are service calls and no one says anything, the rest I either BS my way in or put on my hiking boots which are actually more tennis shoes (trainers) than boots.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:27 AM   #13

Location: Saxon Village near Doncaster. Buildings date to 8th century.Once a Roman Road

Just figured out why ****ies comes out ***ies. Seems the programme does not like the word that precedes -ies.

Frank
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:38 AM   #14

Either that or it does not like any word other than "phallus".
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:46 AM   #15
Wire Ninja

When you're spelling a word that has a foul word contained in it, the forum will blank it out most of the time. I think Nathan can remove certain words from that list, but it's sorta entertaining sometimes to see what the computer thinks is foul. To get around that, you can do little thing like use a zero for the letter "O" or use an exclamation point for the litter "I".

D!ckies.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:11 PM   #16

Have a pair of Wolverine Steel Toed boots, that are more comfortable that my sneakers. I'll wear them when not working all the time. Have been thinking of looking for some with the steel plate in the bottom (nail guard, I think). Especially with the renovation project I have been on.
chenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #17
Low-Vo

Quote:
The first pair were great, very comfortable and lasted 3 years until a shoe lace finally broke, so i started wearing the second pair which have been giving my feet hell for the past year. Well come to find out the first pair were the originals, but this second pair were made in China though still carrying the Doc Marten name. I'm pissed and want something new.

I agree, something happened to Doc Marten in the last few years. My Docs don't wear quite the same anymore.

Last year I bought a nice pair of dress-shoes in the Doctor Marten store in Hong Kong. Very nice quality! Maybe you have to actually go to China to get the good Chinese products
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #18

Any one ever heard or tried LUGZ, that's what youll catch me on the jobsite with
Toddbobbentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #19

These are my favourite, very comfortable, light and made in Canada (I'm sick of chinese junk). I don't know if you can get them where you are, but if you can maybe you're interested in taking a look

http://www.lproyer.com/en/products/metal-free/10-8420/
ElectricBrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #20

1st post and bringing back something 5 years old. I wear redwings w/ composite toe BTW.

mbednarik is offline   Reply With Quote