CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Vintage Electrical

Old 06-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Default MARR connector

Back in the mid 50s some genius at MARR decided wirenuts weren't a good enough connector in industrial work, particularly motor connections so they invented this brilliant device.

After disassembling the deviece, the stripped wires are inserted into the brass barrel, and the setscrew is tightened down. The insulating cap is then threaded onto the barrel and the job is forever done without any maintenance problems in the future. Being a generous company MARR even provided a handy plastic handle for large fingered electricians to hold the barrel in while inserting the wires and tightening the setscrew.
That's how the propaganda went. In the real world using these handy devices was a little different.
1, grab a pocket full of the damn things
2, try finding enough that actually have the setscrews in the pocketful you're carrying.
3, screw around 3 times longer than it would have taken to install lugs and a bolt.
4, grab another one and try over because your pliers screwed up the thread on the barrel and the cap won't go on
5, send the helper back to get more connectors because the setscrews are all lost
6, be really careful to not strip[ the thread on the last complete connector so you can finish the motor changeout and get the plant foreman off your back.
7, wrap the damn thing with tape so the insulator cap doesn't come off and blow a hole through the side of the motor connection box.
8, close box and energize motor to check direction
9, locate mortor starter and swap 2 wires so yo don't have to go through the nightmare again.

MARR Connectors came in 2 sizes. Neither was popular with electricians. Purchasing agents seemed to love them though. I'm not sure when they quit making them, but it wasn't soon enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marr wirenut.jpg (9.6 KB, 275 views)

Phil DeBlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil DeBlanc For This Useful Post:
JohnR (06-24-2011)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,000

They never quit making them. You can buy them brand new from Ideal to this very day.

MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,010

I had a service call in a house that was filled with those things. First time I ever saw them. I actually kind of liked them.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:29 AM   #4
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics37 View Post
I had a service call in a house that was filled with those things. First time I ever saw them. I actually kind of liked them.
Yeah, they were pretty darned popular for a spell. There are certain occasions where I'd still use them if I ever bought any. A small motor would be one for instance. A 480 motor up to maybe 15 horse, probably, or any small motor on 208-240. Just as good as a split-bolt, with a screw on insulator. I'd never wire a whole house or office/retail space with them like the old timers did... misery.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
Canadian

Rewards Points: 500

They used to be code here for anything 347/600V.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
tkb

When I started in the trade back in the 70's, the guy I was working for used the Marr connectors to connect fixtures and the Buccanan four way crimp sleeves with the snapon covers for all other splices. Sometimes we ran across some Buccanans that had rubber sleeves with a red retaining ring or a diaper type that you had to stretch between the wires and loop over the splice.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
They never quit making them. You can buy them brand new from Ideal to this very day.
I think I have a package lying around somewhere, they are listed as vibration proof or vibration resistant.

Yeah at the hydro plant I was in last year they were specified in the contract, and that building did nothing but vibrate with all those 30MW generators running. Felt like an earthquake when they'd open the gates to start one up and I guess I can see the reasoning for wanting them there.

Now that I know they're still on the market, I think they'd be great for some applications involving motors or other locations where the joints would be subject to constant or heavy vibration...

...they are very expensive though.
Mike_586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 502

At one time that was all that the Ma and Pa local hardware store's sold. I run into quite a few diy installs of these things, can pull them ff by hand most would use electrical tape to hold them on
electricguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #9
Electron Flow Consultant

Rewards Points: 2,008

These are actually in the specs on our job site, although they don't enforce it. When I was an apprentice, they did enforce it.

sparky970 is online now   Reply With Quote