CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > UK Electrical Forum

Old 04-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #1

Default RCD tripping on ring main after new CU Install?

I have just fitted a new 17th edition Consumer unit as a replacement for an old bs3036 rewireable fuseboard and i have had some problems with the ring main circuit.

The problem is that the RCD (63 Amp - 30ma) keeps tripping, i have found a broken neutral in one of the walls and replaced the faulty wire and can now get continuity on both the neutral and live conductors but as soon as i connect the circuit into the RCD it keeps tripping out. The RCD is working ok with two other circuits so its not faulty.

The load on the ring main is neglible with only the central heating controls drawing any current.

Does anyone please have any idea what might be causing this tripping?

Dave Marchesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-19-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Wire Ninja

So... what have you checked yet? Seems like a megger would sort that out pretty quickly. The RCD is obviously seeing a ground fault in excess of 30ma. Perhaps disconnect some or all of the loads at first to just check the ring main itself and see if the RCD holds? That's what I'd do, as a quick test of whether you're looking for an equipment fault or a wiring fault.

MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #3

Ive not tested the circuits insulation resistance yet

OK i'll test the earth conductor continuity and run an insulation resistance test on the circuit and see what that tells me.

what if the circuit passes the megger test?

thanks
Old 04-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
Registered Member

Can you break the ring up and test to the 1st point, then add to the 2nd point, etc, or are your rings non-splicable?
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Marchesi View Post
what if the circuit passes the megger test?

thanks
It won't.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
junior member UK

Default Fault.

I know this is probably bleedin obvious but have you got a borrowed neutral from some where, or got one end of the ring neutral connected to one neutral bar and the other neutral on the bar controlled from the second RCD, its easil done on replacements it would give you an instant trip when you tried to put any kind of load on.
Theese 17th edition units have three or four flying blue leads kicking around inside i have had them connected wrong from the factory instalation.
cornishsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #7

Cornishsparks, i have checked and the RCD's are both installed correctly with no shared neutrals, i have found one drilled wire in a wall and replaced it but the RCD still trips. but thanks for the thought anyway :-)

i have done a megger test today on the circuit and i get:

L - N 14.22 Meg Ohms
L - E 14.17 Meg Ohms
N - E 0.00 Meg Ohms

so it appears i have a Neutral - Earth short in the circuit somewhere.

i suppose the next step is to test each section of the circuit until i find the shorted section?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #8

You are right MDShunk it failed the megger test on the N-E conductors

looks like i better hunt down where the short is by testing each section of the circuit.

Do the fancy 200 quid plus cable fault finders pick up this kind of short circuit and are they worth having?

Thanks DM
Old 04-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #9

as mentioned by lawn guy just split the ring in the middle making 2 radials test to find the shorted side then keep doing the same until you arrive at the leg with the fault
flip73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Marchesi View Post
You are right MDShunk it failed the megger test on the N-E conductors

looks like i better hunt down where the short is by testing each section of the circuit.

Do the fancy 200 quid plus cable fault finders pick up this kind of short circuit and are they worth having?

Thanks DM
Maybe if I knew what a quid was...
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
53 GONE AT LAST!

Location: UK, by the seaside, besides the sea!! No F1 Champs this seaqson, though but

1 quid = 1 english pound and at todays exchange rate about $1 as well
Old 04-22-2009, 11:34 PM   #12
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix-leccy View Post
1 quid = 1 english pound and at todays exchange rate about $1 as well
Don't they make calamari from a quid?
Old 04-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #13
53 GONE AT LAST!

Location: UK, by the seaside, besides the sea!! No F1 Champs this seaqson, though but

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Don't they make calamari from a quid?
in my attempt to be multi-cultural I made a stab at learning Greek for my holidays.

Every morning I would greet the waiters, pool man , reception with 'calimares'. towards the end of my second week i was told that I ahd been actually saying 'squid'! I should have said 'calis mare'.....bu88er!

I am now learning Arabic