CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Union Topics

Old 03-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default aptitude test for apprenticeship

I am getting ready to take the apt test, but i am not sure what to study can anyone assist me on what to study

utility57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #2

When you applied they should of told you, and given you a book that talks about the aptitude test... at least when I applied to 292 yesterday they did.

http://mplsjatc.org/pdf/applications...titudetest.pdf
http://www.njatc.org/training/appren...mple_test.html

Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #3

Default Applying and Qualifying for Appenticeship in the Electrical Industry

No all I got was a certified letter telling the date of the exam.. No guide or anything...
Old 03-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by utility57 View Post
No all I got was a certified letter telling the date of the exam.. No guide or anything...

If we knew where "us" was someone might be able to help you. Then again if you read though the post here or did a search, most of your questions have already been answered.
rlc3854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #5

Default excuse me

I dont appreciate that at all, i didnt look and what are you talking about "us"
Old 03-18-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by utility57 View Post
I dont appreciate that at all, i didnt look and what are you talking about "us"
If your talking about an IBEW apt test different locals have simlar but different designed test. We don't what are you are from by stating location as "us". At least give a State if "us" is the USA. If you search the board for testing, study guide ect. you will get a lot of results for applying for an apprentricship through the IBEW/IEC/ABC/WEC ect.
rlc3854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:49 PM   #7

Charleston, WV local 466 is where the local is
Old 03-21-2009, 02:33 AM   #8

The aptitude test I took had algebra and functions for the math portion.

The algebra that was on it was roughly equal to what you would see in an intermediate algebra course at a local community college. Some of it was as easy as plugging in a given number for x and then solve. Compass tests are required before you take the test. If you take the compass and your math score is below intermediate algebra id take a class or two or study on your own.
Dtothej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #9

Did you ever get information which was usable???
pupschen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #10

Default testing info

No not really but I did take the test about 2-3 wks ago. and just got the results in and i have to take it again 6mths. there was a alot of simplyfying equations.. following the sequence of numbers and finishing it with the next correct answers.. I didnt find a webiste online class for tech math for 110.00 that i believe the jatc provide.. I also was going thru mathtv.com all its subjects just to try and be at least somewhat ready for the test but they didnt go thru some of the items I seen on the test...

I also found out they do not provide a guide for the test at the charleston,wv local ibew, but i believe i seen on here that some locations to provide a prep guide for the test
Old 04-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you want to smoke the test,

you better know algebra all the way through college 100 level like the back of your hand.

That's knowing all the 90 level stuff, and being able to do it fast.
The test goes very very fast. No need to take the class down at the local community college, just go check out an old college algebra textbook at the library, buckle down, and do all the lessons. Geometry, and trigonometry is a must too, without any doubt, you will use it all very often on the job.

Reading is the same thing, you've got to know all the way up to 100 level stuff.

I'm no academic, but what the union wants is people who are solid middle class kids who did well in high school. Now, the best of the best are all hillbilly einsteins, but that's another story altogether.
miller_elex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #12
Zen Student

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller_elex View Post
Now, the best of the best are all hillbilly einsteins, but that's another story altogether.
? care to elaborate on that? that soudns like an interesting different story altogether.

Like they said man, study an old algebra textbook, that's what i did. It was worth it. You forget so much stuff if you don't use it. and you will need it once you start school. There is so much math in the apprenticeship school, you'll get good at things you may have sucked at in the past.
Buddha In Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buddha In Babylon For This Useful Post:
StrangeBlackClouds (09-18-2013)
Old 06-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #13

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc3854 View Post
If your talking about an IBEW apt test different locals have simlar but different designed test. We don't what are you are from by stating location as "us". At least give a State if "us" is the USA. If you search the board for testing, study guide ect. you will get a lot of results for applying for an apprentricship through the IBEW/IEC/ABC/WEC ect.
I'm taking the test in 9 days here in Philly, and i needed the sudy guides.
kevgeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #14

Thumbs up Philadelphia Electrician Apprenticeship Aptitude Test Tip

This test was composed of two parts, math and reading comprehension.

The first part is straight algebra problems. They consisted of 36 algebriac equation wich consisted of number sequence, variable solution problems, simplifying, simplyfing, simplifying, graphs, roots, and ratio problems too. Plus you only had a time limit of about 56 minute for the first part of this exam following the second.

Next, the second part of the exam was reading comprehension. It had four stories. These stories range anything from earth, science, history, and/or astrology. Each story was about 4-6 paragraphs long and you only had about another 56 minute to complete this section. After each story, you had 8 to 13 question to complete. Some where easy, and some questions where complex, others needed critical thinking.

Word of advice for all, bring a clock with out a calculator on it, so you can pase yourself. No calculators are aloud to be used. Good luck and study your math thoroughly. Its not easy if you didn't study algebra for a while.

Dimitri
dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #15

Default hmpf

I give up.
Getting into this apprentice trade is nuts.
The math portion was entirely too difficult.

Screw giving the union $40 every year just to fail that **** like so many others...
makes me wonder how much money Local 98 is banking off of this scam.
And i call it a scam because they know there's barely any jobs, yet they keep accepting apprentices.

I wouldnt be surprised if the testing fee gets raised to $100 soon.
No doubt people will still pay it.
kevgeez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevgeez For This Useful Post:
carri (12-02-2013)
Old 07-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 500

If the math is so very difficult, and you have taken the test twice, did you give any honest effort at study the year in between tests?

How about a tutor is math is really not your thing. Or, just give up.
s.kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #17

Default Study algebra and reading comprehension

I used this website for algebra
http://www.algebrahelp.com/
amhrdwd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #18

cant give up...I was on that route too but i said you know what..what place pays you too learn and be a union member..come on. cant get better than that..its a long road but you gotta get over the speed bumps.
dnyce513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 25

I am not worried about the math,I really worried about the reading because I am a Chinese -- !
yuning521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnyce513 View Post
cant give up...I was on that route too but i said you know what..what place pays you too learn and be a union member..come on. cant get better than that..its a long road but you gotta get over the speed bumps.
but what specifically do we study to pass. I need some kind of guideline. please help. I am a single mother struggling to survive thanks. I used to be good at math years ago. but still can relearn.

carri is offline   Reply With Quote