CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Union Topics

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Default Best Electrical IBEW Union Jobs

Doing some career research about electrical work within the IBEW.

Besides Inside Wireman and Outside Lineman are there any other IBEW electrical jobs that are worth looking into?

The civil service IBEW jobs look good too.

Any info?

Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-24-2008, 08:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenerohmma View Post

Any info?
Let me see drink coffee till 9:00, make breakfast till 11:00, game shows till 1:00, then lunch either after lunch watch soaps or if necessary do paper work till 3:30 verifying work was attempted but were turned away for some dubious reason.

Seriously, I have worked in several federal facilities and this was the typical day.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
Let me see drink coffee till 9:00, make breakfast till 11:00, game shows till 1:00, then lunch either after lunch watch soaps or if necessary do paper work till 3:30 verifying work was attempted but were turned away for some dubious reason.

Seriously, I have worked in several federal facilities and this was the typical day.
Was that a "journeyman" position?

I'm sure there was something important that had to be done in between the breaks.

I'd think that large scale power station operators could feel like that. I think that type of work would be very intresting. Especially with how important quality power distribution is becoming more important with "green" power systems and senstive electronic devices.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Was that a "journeyman" position?

I'm sure there was something important that had to be done in between the breaks.
I never saw any work of substance completed in the 9 months I was there. I have worked in several government facilities and have never seen a lot of work being completed by the on site guys.

We do acceptance testing and the inspectors are tough as nails wanting only the best (which is what they pay for and deserve) 12 months later and the place looks like CRAP no maintenance being done by the on site guys. We see this time and again.

One government electrician I know told me that 40% of the workers carry the other 60%. I never saw percentages that high doing work.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:46 PM   #5

Quote:
I never saw any work of substance completed in the 9 months I was there. I have worked in several government facilities and have never seen a lot of work being completed by the on site guys.

We do acceptance testing and the inspectors are tough as nails wanting only the best (which is what they pay for and deserve) 12 months later and the place looks like CRAP no maintenance being done by the on site guys. We see this time and again.

One government electrician I know told me that 40% of the workers carry the other 60%. I never saw percentages that high doing work.

Well I'm the kind of person that doesn't mind working. I don't care what percentage of work that I do as long as I feel that I was productive. Also I like to do good work. So your opinion of civil service jobs seems like a generality to me.

Were you a "journeyman" level elctrical worker for the IBEW at the civil service job that you mention?

Could you post some information about the actual jobs that you discredit?

What was the title?

Was there any type of formal "apprenticship" involved?

Seems like the IBEW has very good training programs to ensure good work.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:23 AM   #6
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 510

Quote:
Doing some career research about electrical work within the IBEW.

Besides Inside Wireman and Outside Lineman are there any other IBEW electrical jobs that are worth looking into?

Any info?
Z, what is it that your looking for? What is your current position, electrical training, electrical experience as it applys to this forum of electrical workers and contractors of construction, maintenance, service and testing within the residential, commerical, industrial and power generation?
Old 10-25-2008, 01:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc3854 View Post
Z, what is it that your looking for? What is your current position, electrical training, electrical experience as it applys to this forum of electrical workers and contractors of construction, maintenance, service and testing within the residential, commerical, industrial and power generation?

I'm seeking out careers in the IBEW. Just consider me a newbie open to all electrical related jobs within the IBEW.

Thanks for your participation.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:26 AM   #8

So, in other words, you don't know anything...
Old 10-25-2008, 06:57 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,744

Quote:

Blame it on the Davis-Bacon act
Old 10-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
Blame it on the Davis-Bacon act
I blame it on the fact that firing these free loaders is almost impossible.

As for generality. I generally see with my eyes, I report only what I see. Oh and living where I do we see plenty of government non-workers.

You can deny it or continue fund it through our tax dollars.

But to answer your original question, I suggest you get in the trade and do various types of work and then determine what suits your style.

Last edited by brian john; 10-25-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
So, in other words, you don't know anything...

It doesn't matter if I know anything or not.

If you could answer the original question I'd appreciate it and this thread could possibly benefit others.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:21 PM   #12

Quote:
I blame it on the fact that firing these free loaders is almost impossible.

As for generality. I general see with my eyes, I report only what I see. Oh and living where I do we see plenty of government non-workers.

You can deny it or continue to through our tax dollars at it.

But to answer your original question, I suggest you get in the trade and do various types of work and then determine what suits your style.

Again instead of attacking civil service IBEW union employees please focus on the question and answer if you can.

I'd like to know whtat the title of the position is that you have made reference to.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:39 PM   #13
Senior Moment

Most civil service employment is covered through union or associations for collective bargaining. On top of that each state, city or federal government have their own personnel policies. Since these employers do not want to offend anyone and be PC it becomes almost impossible to weed out the bad apples. The other side of the coin it takes forever to get something done because of purchasing policies (small business/minority owned) low bid ect. Then you have to clear the work and close off areas to work in that are controlled by control freaks. Work starts and stops more times that it woulf take to finish a job. Now you know why most jobs are contracted out, right down to military bases and housing.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Most civil service employment is covered through union or associations for collective bargaining. On top of that each state, city or federal government have their own personnel policies. Since these employers do not want to offend anyone and be PC it becomes almost impossible to weed out the bad apples. The other side of the coin it takes forever to get something done because of purchasing policies (small business/minority owned) low bid ect. Then you have to clear the work and close off areas to work in that are controlled by control freaks. Work starts and stops more times that it woulf take to finish a job. Now you know why most jobs are contracted out, right down to military bases and housing.
All I'm really looking for is a detailed description of the title of the jobs.

I don't care about how the jobs get done or not.

I appreciate your participation but if you can't answer my question please don't post anything that doesn't relate to the question.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:13 PM   #15
Senior Moment

Okay we get it your young and not too brite. Check the federal/state/city web sites for job classifications/specifications. Then make a few calls to see if they are represented by IBEW or another AFL-CIO affiliate. From my past experience in state civil service the titles were electrician apprentice, electrician I, electrician II, electrician foreman/supervisor after that the classification is non-represented.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #16

Quote:

I appreciate your participation but if you can't answer my question please don't post anything that doesn't relate to the question.

1. I answered your question
2. If you do not care about how jobs get done maybe you are looking in the wrong profession.
3. You said you like to work I was telling you that THEN THE GOVERNMENT IS NOT FOR YOU.
4. Till Nathan or Speedy ban me or I leave by my own choice, I'll post answers as I feel. You I and all others members of this forum are guest of the site webmaster.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #17
Senior Moment

Quote:

Should you be able to obtain an IBEW apprenticeship let us know who your JW is so we can pray for them. Read some of panic66 posts he has the right idea.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Should you be able to obtain an IBEW apprenticeship let us know who your JW is so we can pray for them. Read some of panic66 posts he has the right idea.

Are you in the IBEW?

If so what is your classification?

Please describe a little about the electrical work related to your title.

That is all that I am looking for.

I'll probably just stay in school and become a computer engineer or electrical engineer.

Maby I'll work for the government or for a contractor.

Or maby I will start my own shop.

The IBEW looks like a great place to start a career in "Electrical Work".

For those that can post more information about great electrical careers in the IBEW please post.

Also please note that I'd consider civil service work for the IBEW.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:45 AM   #19

I own and operate a company that specializes in solving electrical problems that other electrical contractors either cannot resolve or do not have the manpower or time. In addition we perform electrical testing of any and all components of the electrical distribution system from low voltage to high voltage, this includes infrared scanning, power quality and grounding surveys. Lastly we service and repair diesel generators and DC power systems.

It is a job that requires quite a bit of off hours work Saturday, Sunday and holidays are our mainstay.

Whether or not I am union or not does not impact what I do for a living. I am an electrician.

Last edited by brian john; 10-26-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:58 AM   #20

Quote:
I own and operate a company that specializes in solving electrical problems other electrical contractors either cannot resolve or do not have the manpower or time. In addition we perform electrical testing of any and all components of the electrical distribution system from low voltage to high voltage, this includes infrared scanning, power quality and grounding surveys. Lastly we service and repair diesel generators and DC power systems.

It is a job that requires quite a bit of off hours work Saturday, Sunday and holidays are our mainstay.

Whether or not I am union or not does not impact what I do for a living. I am an electrician.

Very detailed job description. Thanks.

Did you go through the IBEW apprenticeship?

Would you recommend the IBEW?

What kind of "electrician" do you consider yourself?

Do you hold any proffessional certifications?

What about training?

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks for your participation.

Closed Thread