CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Union Topics

Old 05-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Failed Math Apptitude part of Test for IBEW entry

Well I had been reviewing Algebra for the last month, but was just too slow to complete the math test in the allotted time: 35 questions/40 minutes. I was just over half done when the guy giving the test gave us the 2 minute warning, then I started frantically filling in the dots at random. Like that was really going to work I'm feeling pretty damn low at the moment, because I did well on the Compass Exam, and went all the way through Calculus in college. I just got stuck on more than one question and did not realize I had burned up so much time.

My question is this: Are there any realistic practice test for the Math part of this exam?
I have always done poorly on timed test of this sort, so I need to do as many practice test as I can, before I retry in 6 months. With a timer running of course.

Thanks,
Scott Warner

Last edited by warnerms; 05-15-2009 at 01:23 PM.
warnerms is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to warnerms For This Useful Post:
gnash1965 (06-29-2014)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnerms View Post
Well I had been reviewing Algebra for the last month, but was just too slow to complete the math test in the allotted time: 35 questions/40 minutes. I was just over half done when the guy giving the test gave us the 2 minute warning, then I started frantically filling in the dots at random. Like that was really going to work I'm feeling pretty damn low at the moment, because I did well on the Compass Exam, and went all the way through Calculus in college. I just got stuck on more than one question and did not realize I had burned up so much time.

My question is this: Are there any realistic practice test for the Math part of this exam?
I have always done poorly on timed test of this sort, so I need to do as many practice test as I can, before I retry in 6 months. With a timer running of course.

Thanks,
Scott Warner
COMMUNITY COLLEGE Algebra One two, geometry, pre calculus I, II and III. NOW

brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Pure Evil

Rewards Points: 2,024

practice practice practice

drsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #4

Default Gee?

And that's what I thought I was doing? It certainly helped on the Compass test, but that was not timed. The questions on Compass test seemed a lot more like the math I had actually reviewed. Whereas not so much on the IBEW test, hence the reason I ask if there are any realistic practice test? Or if not that, any Algebra book in particular
that has practice questions that are a lot more like the questions on the IBEW exam?

Thanks,
Scott Warner

Last edited by warnerms; 05-14-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

hey even einstein failed math. math is not something you can memorize in a month. even after years of electrical i still have to practice. at least review once a week just to stay on it.
brian is right, you need to start some knd of math class immediately, i recommend intermediate algebra before the algebra. it can get that brain hurting when trying to learn but practice, practice, practice is the key.
sparkyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:27 AM   #6

Smile exam

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
COMMUNITY COLLEGE Algebra One two, geometry, pre calculus I, II and III. NOW

Practice,practice ,practice if you need tutoring ,get help and when you take the exam just relax and do the elimination process or 50- 50 so you will have a good chance of passing the exam also buy a book about aptitude exam or find out from the JATC which book is good.and when you pass the exam and get in to the program,this will just be the beginning.SEt your mind to pass the exam.I took a Real Estate Brokers exam 3 times with in a week apart.Finally I passed, bec. I study hard on the 3rd try.I had to study on subjects that I was low on the second exam.Even though I had a cd with 1500 questions that spent time studying but It wasnt enough so what I am saying whatever you need to do to pass the exam and never give up.Just go go go..............
jimmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

now you know what the test consist of so you can study the material on the test.

before taking test.
1. dont time your self till you know the process of solving the problem.
2. memorize the order of operations.
3. do the math in long form NO CALCULATORS! (very important)
4. once you have mastered 1&2 you can start timing yourself.

when taking the test.

1. if stumped on question move on to next one.
2. always go with first instinct.
3. always eliminate the answers you know are wrong.
jredwood301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jredwood301 View Post
now you know what the test consist of so you can study the material on the test.

before taking test.
1. dont time your self till you know the process of solving the problem.
2. memorize the order of operations.
3. do the math in long form NO CALCULATORS! (very important)
4. once you have mastered 1&2 you can start timing yourself.

when taking the test.

1. if stumped on question move on to next one.
2. always go with first instinct.
3. always eliminate the answers you know are wrong.
test taking 101, this is what I have always tried to do.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #9

Default well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyer View Post
Practice,practice ,practice if you need tutoring ,get help and when you take the exam just relax and do the elimination process or 50- 50 so you will have a good chance of passing the exam also buy a book about aptitude exam or find out from the JATC which book is good.and when you pass the exam and get in to the program,this will just be the beginning.SEt your mind to pass the exam.I took a Real Estate Brokers exam 3 times with in a week apart.Finally I passed, bec. I study hard on the 3rd try.I had to study on subjects that I was low on the second exam.Even though I had a cd with 1500 questions that spent time studying but It wasnt enough so what I am saying whatever you need to do to pass the exam and never give up.Just go go go..............
I don't think I need tutoring, as I did fine with math while in college. I just reviewed a lot material that was irrelevant to this particular math test. That said, I will ask again: are there any practice test that are like this one? Or specific algebra books with a lot of practice problems that would be like the questions on the test?

I took the Real Estate Sales Person exam, and breezed through that, but of course there were actual practice test available, and the specific text book used in the Real Estate class to study.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by warnerms; 05-15-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
test taking 101, this is what I have always tried to do.
Yes I know all of that. Since I have not used math much in any work (except trig, matrix algebra), or even been in a math class in years, I would have needed to review material that was relevant to this specific test. I got a book at the bookstore published by Barrons, called "Forgotten Algebra" and did every problem in the book. This was very helpful for the COMPASS test, but not particularly helpful for the IBEW apptitude test, as there were not a lot of similar practice problems. I'm sure none of the questions on the test were that difficult, but if you have not been doing practice problems that are very similar, it would just take that much longer, and the time alotted for each question is just over 1 minute.
For instance, in the Barron's book there were no questions of the sort where an equation is presented, and you are asked to pick from a list the equation that is equivalent. Well if you have been doing a lot of this type of problem, then it would not be so hard to perhaps just rearrange what you are looking at it in your head. I was trying to rearrange the equation in the margin (why don't they give you any scratch paper) and burning up way to much time on each of this type of problem.
There were certainly no Number Sequence problems in the Barron's book.

In hindsite I should have come to this website awhile ago, and asked about the test.
I did not find the 5 practice problems that the IBEW provided to be particularly helpful, in that they seemed to have chosen the simpler questions to use as examples. Does the IBEW have anything in the way of complete 35 question practice test?

One thing I did notice was that there were an awful lot of people in the room that were not done with the math section when the time was up, whereas just about everyone was done with the reading section well before the test was done.
I guess there are a lot of us in need of better review material for the math section?

Scott

Last edited by warnerms; 05-15-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyboys View Post
hey even einstein failed math. math is not something you can memorize in a month. even after years of electrical i still have to practice. at least review once a week just to stay on it.
brian is right, you need to start some knd of math class immediately, i recommend intermediate algebra before the algebra. it can get that brain hurting when trying to learn but practice, practice, practice is the key.
Well I had to take plenty of math to get my B.S. in Computer Science, so it's not like I don't understand the concepts when presented. That said, what I need are lot's of problems that are similar to the IBEW test questions, to practice, practice, practice, ..., so I can just go faster on this test and not spend too much time on any one/two/... problem(s). So I will ask once more, are there any realistic practice test, or specific Algebra books with lots of practice problems similar to the questions on the test?

If you blow this test, you have to wait 6 months to retake it (seems excessive),
so I really need to get it right next time and not be looking at a lot of stuff that will not even be on the test, i.e. trignometric identities, systems of equations, ...
There is a Math store here in Seattle called "Math and Stuff". I will go see if they have anything with lots of practice problems that look like whats on the IBEW test.

Thanks Everyone, and if you think of any specific algebra book that would be good review(practice) for the IBEW test, let me know?
Scott

Last edited by warnerms; 05-15-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #12

get algebra for dummies, they have it. barnes&noble.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 500

I cannot promise that it would help or not,but the IBEW has a math text that comes with first year books, or at least did in my area when I started. I also think I saw an ad somewhere for a math review book by the JATC. I will hunt around later and see if I can dig up more info. In the mean time if you have a friend in or thru the apprenticeship, it might help. Though I expect it is some other math book rebranded and sold,so it might not be any different.
s.kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.kelly View Post
I cannot promise that it would help or not,but the IBEW has a math text that comes with first year books, or at least did in my area when I started. I also think I saw an ad somewhere for a math review book by the JATC. I will hunt around later and see if I can dig up more info. In the mean time if you have a friend in or thru the apprenticeship, it might help. Though I expect it is some other math book rebranded and sold,so it might not be any different.
OK
Thanks
Old 05-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #15

if ya got a bs in cs, why start all over----in wage, and at the bottom
Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #16

Quote:
if ya got a bs in cs, why start all over----in wage, and at the bottom
Well, because even if I could find another computer job, I can't see myself sitting on my ass in a cubical for the next 15~ years. And American Programmers seems to be an endangered species given the number of H1B visas the government hands out to foreign nationals every year. Programmers in the US have never had a Union to look out for their interest in Congress, but the corporations certainly lobby for more H1B visas to be issued every year, claiming they can't find enough programmers in the US (Bull).
Not that I would want to work for Microsoft, but when I go to any of our local neighborhood pubs here in Seattle, more than half the people I meet that work at Microsoft are in this Country on H1B visas (from England, India mostly, China, Russia, ...). The really screwed up thing is having to train your foreign replacement before your given the pink slip.
The other thing about software is that it can be produced anywhere on the planet, and of course these other places have considerably lower labor/living cost.
It's not that there are not any programming jobs, but I see a future where there are fewer & fewer opportunities for US born programmers. The only safe jobs in this country are the ones where you have to be physically present: nurse, teacher, electrician, plumber,.. I was a telecommunications technician before I went to college, and I did Electrical work while in college. I figure I may as well pursue something I had done before and had an interest in.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #17

warnerms, i understand your dilemma, foreigners suc big phucking balls. but you do not have to work for a union to get a good wage or good benefits. you know you could possibly get a job for an electrical contractor in the office using an auto cad prgram do you have experience with acad. hell it does not matter you got a bs in cs.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #18

Quote:
warnerms, i understand your dilemma, foreigners suc big phucking balls. but you do not have to work for a union to get a good wage or good benefits. you know you could possibly get a job for an electrical contractor in the office using an auto cad prgram do you have experience with acad. hell it does not matter you got a bs in cs.
Well I don't blame it so much on the Foreigners, as I do on our Congress/Senate Men/Woman selling us all out so their rich corporate buddies can be that much richer. And of course it's their same corporate buddies that decided to outsource software development, our manufacturing capability, so they could, err, cut expenses and give themselves big fat bonuses at the end of the year. The disparity between the highest paid employee within a Company and it's lowest paid employee is rather astonishing for many large American Corporations. Yes the rich do get much richer, and the Middle Class working stiffs are just pawns in the Global games of the Rich. The arrogance of these type of people was certainly well illustrated with Public bail out of AIG, and subsequent multimillion dollar bonuses being paid out from the bailout funds.

I have used TurboCad, which is sort of AutoCads poor cousin.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Well I don't blame it so much on the Foreigners, as I do on our Congress/Senate Men/Woman selling us all out so their rich corporate buddies can be that much richer. .
HORSE HOCKEY; Blame the big boys a typical SCAPE GOAT mentality, Dems blame big business, Rep blame welfare and illegals. And neither side does crap for us. VOTE THEM OUT

Americans want cheap products, We have some blame in all this. Plus Congress is afraid of the Hispanic lobby as much as they help corporations. What big corporation is employing illegals? GM, Chrysler, Toyota? Maybe the chicken producers and that lot?
Old 05-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Well I don't blame it so much on the Foreigners, as I do on our Congress/Senate Men/Woman selling us all out so their rich corporate buddies can be that much richer. And of course it's their same corporate buddies that decided to outsource software development, our manufacturing capability, so they could, err, cut expenses and give themselves big fat bonuses at the end of the year. The disparity between the highest paid employee within a Company and it's lowest paid employee is rather astonishing for many large American Corporations. Yes the rich do get much richer, and the Middle Class working stiffs are just pawns in the Global games of the Rich. The arrogance of these type of people was certainly well illustrated with Public bail out of AIG, and subsequent multimillion dollar bonuses being paid out from the bailout funds.

I have used TurboCad, which is sort of AutoCads poor cousin.
My new best friend...

Now, where the heck can I find a sarcasm smiley?
Attached Images
File Type: gif smiley-finger007.gif (3.0 KB, 291 views)

Last edited by LawnGuyLandSparky; 05-16-2009 at 06:42 PM.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote