Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Community > Union Topics

Old 01-19-2009, 01:56 AM   #1

Smile IBEW Drug Test

What's up guys,

I was just curious how often the IBEW drug tests. Is it just a pre-employment or are they random? Or is it up to the individual union contractors or the locals? Also, what kind of test is it? I'm a recent college grad, but I don't smoke anymore. i'm just worried a hair test will put me out of contention for something I did months ago.

Thanks!

gokingsgo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
Ambassador of Amps

Use a #1 clip and shave it off? It doenst really get that cold here. I dont know if that would work, since as far as drugs, I have nothing to hide.

~Matt

Advertising space available. Inquire within.
TOOL_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #3

I think drug test should be random and you pass you get to go back to work and if you fail your fired.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by william1978 View Post
I think drug test should be random and you pass you get to go back to work and if you fail your fired.

They should also give blood alcohol tests....drink to much the night before and your fired.....
Old 01-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkessler View Post
They should also give blood alcohol tests....drink to much the night before and your fired.....
Yes, I agree with that also.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by william1978 View Post
Why not do searches of every one's house this would minimize drug and alcohol use. I do not use drugs (illegal) or alcohol BUT I am against dug testing. If the guy is messed up at work can him. But firing a person that smokes pot once a week while a alky stays employed is a sin and an infringement of our rights, IMO.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
Why not do searches of every one's house this would minimize drug and alcohol use. I do not use drugs (illegal) or alcohol BUT I am against dug testing. If the guy is messed up at work can him. But firing a person that smokes pot once a week while a alky stays employed is a sin and an infringement of our rights, IMO.

I was being a tad sarcastic...I would rather work with a pot head than a drunk any day of the week. There is nothing worse than getting paired up with someone hungover on a busy day.....especially when they say drinking does not affect there work.....
Old 01-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkessler View Post
I was being a tad sarcastic...I would rather work with a pot head than a drunk any day of the week. There is nothing worse than getting paired up with someone hungover on a busy day.....especially when they say drinking does not affect there work.....
Or the smell,

According to the news prescription drugs which acceptable pass all drug test are the number one abused drug in America.

30 plus of the War on Drugs and the government has only spen taxes with few gains.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #9

i find it amusing construction workers get drug tested, but not teachers.
steve134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve134 View Post
i find it amusing construction workers get drug tested, but not teachers.

Doctors, lawyers...Oh wait lawyers make the laws they do not apply to them.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokingsgo888 View Post
What's up guys,

I was just curious how often the IBEW drug tests. Is it just a pre-employment or are they random? Or is it up to the individual union contractors or the locals? Also, what kind of test is it? I'm a recent college grad, but I don't smoke anymore. i'm just worried a hair test will put me out of contention for something I did months ago.

Thanks!
From what I have seen it is up to the individual local yet I feel that the International is pushing for a standard test for all members to promote a drug and alchohol free work force at top dollar. Some locals only test apprentices. (gum swab test) you can see the offenders sweating it out and drinking gallons of masking agents. Some Locals have a pre employment screening pee in a cup once a year and random if required. All powerplants I think (Homeland Security requirement) have mandatory drug and alchohol testing yet I have seen some contractors fall throught the cracks and never get tested. It is my guess that in 10 yrs it will be mandatory for all members.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Doctors, lawyers...Oh wait lawyers make the laws they do not apply to them.
Can you spell Spitzer????
Old 01-20-2009, 01:58 AM   #13

Other than being pompus and reaping what he sowed I have no proiblems with his private life.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Other than being pompus and reaping what he sowed I have no proiblems with his private life.
Live by the sword...Die by the sword. It was his political clout that gave him an easy button. The weasel walked he is above the law. Edit to say fry the hypocrite!!!!

Last edited by sherman; 01-20-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 AM   #15

Quote:
How about Bill Clintons private life???
Old 01-20-2009, 03:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
you will have to live it 4 yrs starting today.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #17

Quote:

I did not care other than two things that was the best he could do as president at least JFK got Marlyn.

He lied not to me I expect presidents to lie but he lied under oath you do that and see what happens.

Try not paying your taxes for 4 years as our new treasury (I THINK TRESUARY) secretary did.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #18

Quote:
I did not care other than two things that was the best he could do as president at least JFK got Marlyn.

He lied not to me I expect presidents to lie but he lied under oath you do that and see what happens.

Try not paying your taxes for 4 years as our new treasury (I THINK TRESUARY) secretary did.
I just wrote a 21k check on the 14th for addl Q taxes. OUCH!! It still hurts my wallet. It is my patriotic duty. I will singlehandedly bring us out of this recesion if I have to.. You know what they say easy come easy go.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Live by the sword...Die by the sword. It was his political clout that gave him an easy button. The weasel walked he is above the law. Edit to say fry the hypocrite!!!!

Even though you're just a dumb cow, I think we'll get along just fine.
user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #20
Dismember

Send a message via AIM to spoon

Back on topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokingsgo888 View Post
What's up guys,

Thanks!
At my local, they do not require you to take a drug test. However; they stick a "drug free" card in your file if you voluntarily submit yourself to a drug test. This is referred to as "drug free status". "Drug free status" has to be renewed on an annual basis.

When a contractor calls the hall for a guy, they have the option of making the call a "drug free" call. A good 90% of all calls at my hall have been "drug free" calls, requiring anyone who takes the call to possess "drug free status".

My drug test was a piss test and was administered by a medical office downtown. Your situation may be similar, why don't you just call up the local and ask 'em?

"DEY TUK ER DERBS!"

Last edited by spoon; 01-20-2009 at 04:08 PM.
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote