Local 26 - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Union Topics

Like Tree6Likes

Old 02-13-2017, 11:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 48
Default Local 26

Does anyone work for local 26? I have some questions about it. I have an offer to work there. I`m in a tricky situation with my non union apprenticeship. I could use advice from anyone who joined from a non union apprenticeship.
ElectricalOJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 12:36 AM   #2
LOCO 11

Rewards Points: 139

what non union apprenticeship are you in?
Old 02-14-2017, 09:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.R View Post
what non union apprenticeship are you in?
I'm in the IEC Chesapeake. I will be in my 3rd year in March.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:50 AM   #4
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 27,846

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricalOJ View Post
What part of Maryland?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" mlk
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Quote:
What part of Maryland?
Montgomery County
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 81

Now is the time to join if you are serious the local is slammed with work. Probably the busiest we have been in over a decade
brian john likes this.
Locknutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:01 PM   #7
still in business

Rewards Points: 3,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locknutz View Post
Now is the time to join if you are serious the local is slammed with work. Probably the busiest we have been in over a decade
Thanks Mr. Trump
Old 02-16-2017, 10:22 PM   #8
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 27,846

Quote:
Montgomery County
Pretty busy area.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" mlk
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:46 AM   #9
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 500

your options:

1) finish your apprenticeship and take your masters, then join the union as a journeyman

2) join the union now - I would be surprised if they give you any credit for your 2+ yrs, but who knows. you will get better training in the union anyway.

either way, just make sure that all your hours are documented. you can take your MD masters once you have your hours, regardless of whether you are a helper, apprentice, A card, whatever. And you can deal with that when it happens (you don't have to tell anyone anything until suits you).
Old 02-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 412

if they want you.....I would demand full journeyman
don't sell yourself short
Tonedeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedeaf View Post
if they want you.....I would demand full journeyman
don't sell yourself short

He would be selling himself short by not doing the full apprenticeship. They do a great job of training and he would more than likely start at an AP2 pay.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 412

so lets say you get $25/hour for 2 years or longer at what AP2 wages are.

Full rate (your in Maryland) its prolly in the low-mid 40's

there are ~2000 work hours in a year. so that ~20$/hr your giving up.

your giving up ~$40,000 a year pre-tax....Get the maximum amount you can don't leave real money on the table.
Tonedeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #13

There would be a 0% chance they would make him an AJ with only three years experience and no license.

Not knowing his skill level but he would be best served to go through the apprenticeship
cabletie likes this.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #14

Quote:
There would be a 0% chance they would make him an AJ with only three years experience and no license.

Not knowing his skill level but he would be best served to go through the apprenticeship
if I had joined, they were going to make me an R-4. The problem is that I have OJT hours that weren't allowed to be documented in my non union apprenticeship. I also had gaps of unemployment during my 3 years, so I only really have 2 total years in electrical. I would've been an R-5 with 3 full years. I will also have 3 full years of schooling next month. Since I didn't have the OJT hours, they couldn't put me right info the union apprenticeship. I wouldn't had to do the interview process, and hope that I got in. They said that I would also have to pay half for school. I always thought that apprentice paid for school through union dues. Either way, I pay half of my schooling now. With those missing OJT hours, I would've come into the apprenticeship as a 1st year apprentice, going into my 2nd year again. With there being no sure thing that I'd get into the apprenticeship, I decided to to hold off joining the union until next year.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:36 PM   #15

It is a process to get in. A lot of guys get discouraged and stop short.

Taking the aptitude test and interview all the way through can take months.

The R program is a joke and just a way to under pay labor. The apprenticeship is where you want to be.

If you are serious start the process as soon as you can by taking the test. They are short on man power now, it really is a good time to apply. Once you are in and follow the program you will be set for 5 years of steady employment. At the end you will be well trained and always have that golden ticket to make a good living.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:08 PM   #16

Quote:
It is a process to get in. A lot of guys get discouraged and stop short.

Taking the aptitude test and interview all the way through can take months.

The R program is a joke and just a way to under pay labor. The apprenticeship is where you want to be.

If you are serious start the process as soon as you can by taking the test. They are short on man power now, it really is a good time to apply. Once you are in and follow the program you will be set for 5 years of steady employment. At the end you will be well trained and always have that golden ticket to make a good living.
I don't think it makes sense for me to pretty much start over. I'm already halfway through my apprenticeship. I'll re-apply after a year. That would put me right where I really should be.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:51 PM   #17

Default Local 26

Do as you see fit, but just curious as to where you think another year will put you as far as the union is concerned?
Old 02-18-2017, 12:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Do as you see fit, but just curious as to where you think another year will put you as far as the union is concerned?
I was told that if I had just 3 more months worth of OJT, I would be an R-5. I could also skip past the interview process and right into 3rd year, like I will be next August. With a full year of time, I'd be well over the hours. I just don't want to be held back.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:45 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 102

I don't know how they do it there, but here no matter how much school you have you are not getting in anywhere but the bottom. The exception would be if you came in with a contractor. Even then you may only make the CE/CW program. 98% of guys that have their journeymen's card out of our hall went through the apprenticeship.

I had to make the same decision thirty years ago. Without knowing anyone, I thought it was best to get my foot in the door going through the "B" program. I already had five years in the trade with four years of school. Now I would have to do it all over again. But I was on my way instead of crossing my fingers and wishing to get in through the "A" program. I still had to do most of the "A" apprenticeship after I changed over. It was going to take 7 years instead of 4. Back then the apprenticeship was four years.

Today it is pretty much the same. The contractors today need another program besides the A more than ever. You will read on here all the time how a union guy is at a disadvantage starting out on his own. Your R program is just another way for a guy starting out to make it. We can't all be chiefs, and personally I don't think a guy is worth $100 an hour after only five years.

In the grand scheme of things my "B" time was a drop in the bucket. It was a two dollar raise from where I was with an industrial contractor. Because of my experience I also got bumped up to B foreman rate for most of my time. That was close to fourth year A apprentice rate. The pension credits and health care was all the same between A and B. I am very happy with the way things worked out for me.

Hopefully things will work out for you. Good luck with your decision.
cabletie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:45 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 1,842

Lo cal 26

Here is the deal (most likely).

1. They will bring him in the "R" program.
2. He will make the same or more that he is being paid now.
3. He will take one year of "R" school.
4.He can sign up for the upgrade program and get in the "A" through the back door.

I have been with local 26 for 40 years and have brought a lot of open shop men into the local. DO IT NOW, no matter the short term pay; the benefits and long term wages will beat ALMOST anything you can do open shop.
manchestersparky (02-18-2017)

Tags
local 26