CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Union Topics

Old 03-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #1

Default Local 3 IBEW test nyc

has anyone gotten thier date for the local 3 test in nyc area.I sent my application by the deadline which was end off feb 09,was just wondering if anyone heard yet.

sopranocaponyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
Registered Member

Im still waiting also.

telecomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #3

ok good just wanted to make sure,i'm gonna call them and find out.what are you doing to prepare for the test.I got this book algebra for the clueless,that will help me with the math.I also found some old test a final for 1st year apprentice(i was one back in 02 but screwed it up)so been looking at that.Do u recoment anything to get ready for the mechanical part.what else is gonna be on test if ya know.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hey Soprano, did you ever call the hall to find out? I have an algebra for dummies book I'll look at. Not sure there is much in mechanical you can study for, but I would guess basic construction, like what certain tools are used for and job site familiarity. There is someone on this site giving out a study guide for the exam. I havent requested it from the user, but I read a few threads in this forum relating to a study guide. I think it will be all about getting a good night sleep the night before, and clearing your mind. I have to read up on my math, fractions and decimals. Do you live in the city?
Old 04-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #5

Hey guys...it's been about 15 years since I took the apprentice test...but what I remember is basic algebra.....also, they had pictures of boxes ...folded and unfolded...and you had to match them up corrrectly.....and I think there was English, too

We also took a peg test...which tested for manual dexterity....

Melissa
Melissa809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa809 View Post
Hey guys...it's been about 15 years since I took the apprentice test...but what I remember is basic algebra.....also, they had pictures of boxes ...folded and unfolded...and you had to match them up corrrectly.....and I think there was English, too

We also took a peg test...which tested for manual dexterity....

Melissa
I last took the test in 98 and thats what was on it like you said.but now i heard its a tottaly dif test more sat type. Still hav'nt gotten any word as to when the test is probally some time in may. so till then I just brush up on math etc.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #7

i got the letter yesterday Im taking the test May 13th in Flushing
JayWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:22 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopranocaponyc View Post
I last took the test in 98 and thats what was on it like you said.but now i heard its a tottaly dif test more sat type. Still hav'nt gotten any word as to when the test is probally some time in may. so till then I just brush up on math etc.
WHO told you it's like the SAT?
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWater View Post
i got the letter yesterday Im taking the test May 13th in Flushing
I got my letter yesterday, for May 18th at the union hall in flushing at 10am anyone else have that date,
Old 05-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
Registered Member

May 11th
10am
Old 05-02-2009, 06:07 AM   #11
Registered Member

Good luck guys, and STAY CLEAN. We just threw another 12 out for failing the pee-pee test.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
Good luck guys, and STAY CLEAN. We just threw another 12 out for failing the pee-pee test.
hey lawn, do those guys get a 2nd chance? we do the random drug test and if they fail they can go thru a rehab program and then come back to work IF they pass an evaluation and then more testing. paul
paul d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:46 PM   #13

Default M i j test

Hey i was wondering if anyone knows how many questions is the mij test im up to take it in june. also is it pass or fail test or do u need a score? what will be on this test? if anyone can help me with info please e mail me belladetailing08@yahoo.com. i wanna be well aware what ill be faced with. thanks John
SPARKYJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:00 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul d. View Post
hey lawn, do those guys get a 2nd chance? we do the random drug test and if they fail they can go thru a rehab program and then come back to work IF they pass an evaluation and then more testing. paul
No.

The contractors and the local are dead-on-bells serious about rooting out all chemical abuse. Apprentices get no second chance The test comes upon admission, and then again only if the apprentice has missed days or school. The class that started in 2005 with 250 apprentices, less than 1/2 are still with us. Training costs are skyrocketing.

Since then it's gotten better, as the word is getting around - if you're a pothead or a user, the construction industry doesn't want you either. Go flip burgers or stock shelves at K-Mart.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #15

Quote:

i dont drink or do any drugs... im in the gym boxing every night
JayWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWater View Post
i dont drink or do any drugs... im in the gym boxing every night
Good for you Jay, STAY CLEAN. DO not waste you money on mind-altering ANYTHING and keep doing what you've been doing - get high on LIFE.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Since then it's gotten better, as the word is getting around - if you're a pothead or a user, the construction industry doesn't want you either. Go flip burgers or stock shelves at K-Mart.
I don't see how keeping construction workers "clean" is going to be very successful endeavor, considering that tradesman have among the highest levels of drug/alcohol abuse around, union or not.
user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D View Post
I don't see how keeping construction workers "clean" is going to be very successful endeavor, considering that tradesman have among the highest levels of drug/alcohol abuse around, union or not.
Peter, this is the reason WHY a strict program was instituted. The reputation that we're all drunken bums and users. Back pre-80's people thought nothing of downing a few at a bar and then going to work. 85% of accidents occured AFTER lunch. (And there's only 2 hours of work after lunch, 5 before.) Today, I think we're all a little more enlightened. (Mentally )

A member in my shop was just suspended for 2 months, as this was his 2rd fail on a pop breathilizer... that's 2 months no pay, a loss of $16,000.00 and, now has to work another 2 months for the pension credit... once more and he loses it all...

Not worth it if you ask me.

BTW refusing the test is the equiv. of failing it.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #19

Quote:

I was in the union as an 1st year in 2003 and got a bad lay off,and had to go to the union hall and take a test. It came up + Which I hardley did, this was the end off Jan and i did some new years eve just was in wrong place at wrong time.

The Apprentice Director at that time was Mr Jackson, But I met with the current one George K Schuck and was told that i had to do a program which was going to meetings at union hall every Friday night, Hold down a job for 6 months, do an out patience program(at my own expense) and then I could re apply in ayear. there was no guarantee that i would get back it. It was up too them.

I didn't no better and took my $$ from my B fund and left after 3 months, now I'm doing it all again and gonna do it right. I've been clean for over 5 years.

So if you test + they just throw you out with no 2nd chance now.

Last edited by sopranocaponyc; 05-10-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #20

Brush up on your math. I am taking My test for local 3 elec May 18th(are you taking a local 3 test).

2 weeks ago I picked up a book from Barnes and noble Barons "Mechanical aptitude and Spatial Relations test" 2nd edition it was about $20. So far its really helping me understand the basics. you wanna study "general Mechanical understanding", gears", Pulleys" Hole Punching", among other things.
let us know how your test went and good luck.