CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Community > Union Topics

Old 09-25-2008, 12:32 AM   #1

Default taking aptitude test in a week

hey everyone im new to this forum but im looking forward to become a union apprentice electrician. I'm taking my test at local 569 in a week. I studied up the study manuals and got some tutoring on my Algebra. I notice that some of the test the guys took here included a mechanical comprehension, and paper folding section. Some other guys didnt have these section in their tests. I was wondering if anyone who took the test can give me any advice on what to study. thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by 00integ; 09-25-2008 at 12:36 AM.
00integ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-25-2008, 01:56 AM   #2

What is the most appealing thing about joining the union for you? Good luck.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
Electron Flow Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkessler View Post
What is the most appealing thing about joining the union for you? Good luck.

Is it BKessler or BKisser? What's your problem with the union?
sparky970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #4

from my knowledge and reading up all the threads here they offer great benefits for me and my family. scheduled raises, higher pay,pension. Work anywhere by just signing the books and they care about the little people. Im giving both the union and the non-union a shot because after the ibew test i have another one with ABC but I rather much get into the union.

Last edited by 00integ; 09-25-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky970 View Post
Is it BKessler or BKisser? What's your problem with the union?
For you you can refer to me anyway you want, second I was just kidding around about the 40% comments on the other posts. As I am non union for 15 years I prefer when the union loses work. Also I am from Detroit and well versed with the union way of doing things so I see the good and bad in the union. Mostly bad in my opinion. Good in theory bad in reality. Third there has been an awful lot of people interested in joining the union on this forum as of late and I am curious why. Do these answers satisfy you. I stay out of the union topics section here because I am non union and would just argue with everyone but if you want me to give 20-30 reasons I hate the union just ask me. By the way is it Sparky970 or gayelectriciansparky970?
Old 09-25-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
1st yr. apprentice

/ignoring Bkessler

00integ- as long as your well versed in algebra you should be good to go. The reading comprehension is very easy. I don't remember if it is helpful to know Ohm's law for the test or not - can't hurt (E = I X R).
Big R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:18 PM   #7

Know the FOIL method.

Number sequences such as 1,7,8,15,23,?,61

Simple Vectors

How much weight is lifted with diff # of pulleys

Pythagorean Theorem

Simple Trig

Which shape fits with others pictured

Plus Algebra, fractions and ratios.

Hardest thing was vectors for me, never saw them until 2nd year of apprenticeship. Lots of people had trouble with the shapes, trig and number sequence too. English was ******edly easy.
surfbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
Electron Flow Consultant

Quote:
For you you can refer to me anyway you want, second I was just kidding around about the 40% comments on the other posts. As I am non union for 15 years I prefer when the union loses work. Also I am from Detroit and well versed with the union way of doing things so I see the good and bad in the union. Mostly bad in my opinion. Good in theory bad in reality. Third there has been an awful lot of people interested in joining the union on this forum as of late and I am curious why. Do these answers satisfy you. I stay out of the union topics section here because I am non union and would just argue with everyone but if you want me to give 20-30 reasons I hate the union just ask me. By the way is it Sparky970 or gayelectriciansparky970?

You can make it proudtobeuniongayelectriciansparky970 if you like.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #9

Usually people that join the union are people that like to make top wages and benefits. People that are non-union just don't have the facts. A lot of them would like to believe that they make as much money but the fact is they don't in almost every case. Occasionally a few per shop might be getting paid as much as the union guys do, but for every 1 that does there are 10 that don't. Non-union contractors use this a a tactic to get guys to compete on their jobs. Guys will bust ass to out work the higher paid guys to try to get a raise, meanwhile the harder they work the more the contractor makes, and in most cases they don't get the raise they were trying to get. In Oregon non-union electricians make $15 less per hour on average than union electricians. Non-union people sometimes don't realize how much the union benefits them as well, everything from keeping their wages up, weekends, overtime, maternity leave, paid vacations, sick leave, OSHA, unemployment, and a 40 hour work week to name a few. Lunch is at noon!
48 Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
Registered Member

Maternity leave?

Sick leave?

Paid vacation??

What planet are you from???
miller_elex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48 Bro View Post
Usually people that join the union are people that like to make top wages and benefits. People that are non-union just don't have the facts. A lot of them would like to believe that they make as much money but the fact is they don't in almost every case. Occasionally a few per shop might be getting paid as much as the union guys do, but for every 1 that does there are 10 that don't. Non-union contractors use this a a tactic to get guys to compete on their jobs. Guys will bust ass to out work the higher paid guys to try to get a raise, meanwhile the harder they work the more the contractor makes, and in most cases they don't get the raise they were trying to get. In Oregon non-union electricians make $15 less per hour on average than union electricians. Non-union people sometimes don't realize how much the union benefits them as well, everything from keeping their wages up, weekends, overtime, maternity leave, paid vacations, sick leave, OSHA, unemployment, and a 40 hour work week to name a few. Lunch is at noon!
Nice first post to bad you have not got a clue to what your talking about.
http://www.gpo.gov/davisbacon/allstates.html
Old 09-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #12

He must be talking about the Credit Union BANK! Bank employees get the best benefits of any occupation I know of.
gilbequick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:37 AM   #13
Electron Flow Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller_elex View Post
Maternity leave?

Sick leave?

Paid vacation??

What planet are you from???
I think that is the vacation account at Edison & 9th.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #14

If it was not for UNIONS fighting for benefits, you non-union guys would have NO benefits. The unions won them for their members and you may have some of them so your non-union bosses could try and compete. Those are the facts! You would not even have Social Security! Why must you non-union electricians shoot yourselves in your feet? Get a clue!
surfbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #15
Registered Member

Last time I checked,

I don't get any paid vacation, sick leave, or maternity leave.

Unless you call unenjoyment a paid vacation.

As for the health benefits the contractor pays almost $7/manhour for, well, I never touched those benefits. I think the hall should pay out that money to me if I don't burn it up.

I propose a NEW system. Pay me the extra $7 for health on the check, give me back 75 cents of the dollar that goes to the training center, give me back the market recovery, give me all that stoopid labor/management committee BS,

and now that I'm pulling in $50 and hour on the check, the next time I get sick, I am going to walk in to the nearest emergency room with no ID, no car, a fake name, and I am going to get FREE health care like the bozos asking for a bottle of wine.

We need to quit taking it laying down and paying for everybody else's problems. Give me the money due me, my full wage and fringes in dollars on the check, and then you will see non-union contractors STRUGGLING to find help that isn't blood related.
miller_elex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #16

hey thanks for the reply guys lol eventho it wasn't related to my questions. Yea i took the test yesterday man I had to say I struggled on the math I didnt feel too good but the reading I breezed thru it. There was a total of probably 200 people taking the test that day just at different times. So we'll see what happens results in 3 weeks. I have to prepare myself for the ABC test this monday lol. thanks again.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #17
IBEW Prospect

Good luck. I hope you rank high bro
imp4pdabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #18
3rd Generation

Quote:
Third there has been an awful lot of people interested in joining the union on this forum as of late and I am curious why.
I've noticed this a lot lately also. It seems the more the union loses market share and job openings the more people are trying to join. In Saint Paul here there is over 300 union electricians out of work, I haven't worked less than 40 in months.
MF Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #19
1st yr. apprentice

Hey MF - I'm in 292. Seems like all the JW's I've been working with have been coming off the bench anywhere from 13-18months. Lots of travelers. Not good. Hopefully things pick up in the future.
Big R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #20
3rd Generation

I think I would collect pop cans off the side of the road before I sat around for 13 months as my job. Things are plenty busy on the non-union side. Last winter was rough but not as bad as it could have been.

MF Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote