Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Community > Union Topics

Old 11-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #1

Default union lingo

trying to join the union but im a little confused on union lingo. what exactly is a salt, scab, rat etc etc........here these terms thrown around all the time and have an idea of what they mean but not 100% sure thanks

duff7830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 11-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #2

Studying for your test is a little more important than knowing what these terms mean.

regieleeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #3

Past the test a long time ago my friend waiting to hear back from my interview on oct 16th
duff7830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #4

There are a ton of rats on here that can explain, RIGHT RATS!!! YOUR ON RATS! GO!
Old 11-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff7830 View Post
Past the test a long time ago my friend waiting to hear back from my interview on oct 16th
Congratulations. And good luck.
regieleeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
Thread Pirate

Don't worry about that stuff just yet, if they let you in the country club, they will indoctrinate....er I mean educate you on what all of those words mean.
PhatElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #7

Quote:
trying to join the union but im a little confused on union lingo. what exactly is a salt, scab, rat etc etc........here these terms thrown around all the time and have an idea of what they mean but not 100% sure thanks
Cogratulations on passing your test.

With regards to all the terminology you referenced, don't pay to much attention to it. Think for yourself and make your mind up about people yourself. You will read the opinions of many people on this site (pro union and anti union). My advice would be to look past the bickering and do what is best for you and your family. Don't make any rash decisions based upon what someone on this site might say. There are some knowledgable people here, but there are also a few that come here just to "stir the pot". Take what you read and confirm the facts for yourself.

It is a great trade, welcome.
pjmurph2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatElvis View Post
Don't worry about that stuff just yet, if they let you in the country club, they will indoctrinate....er I mean educate you on what all of those words mean.
At first P.Elvis, I thought you were keeping it real, telling it like it really is, and you were.

Lately you haven't offered any of your real insights into the industry, or offered up a solution. Your posts have been some sh1t regurgitated from a teabag rally, which took my opinion of you from 90% real-deal - 10% hot air, to about 40% - 60%.

This is a great place to anonymously get the bad mojo off your chest, and no one else has to see us for the whiny babies we really are... but it could also be a place where consensus is built by intelligent people who want to see better solutions applied in the industry.

Knowing mankind for what it is, I know doubt bet that the opportunity will be squandered, and this forum will continue to be a place where we come call each other names and cry like babies, just to make ourselves feel better in the real world. Ha hah!

Last edited by miller_elex; 11-20-2009 at 06:08 PM.
miller_elex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks134 View Post
There are a ton of rats on here that can explain, RIGHT RATS!!! YOUR ON RATS! GO!
I don't know why but man that cracked me up.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
Thread Pirate

I guess I just gave up and realized that the other side of the fence wont really get it until they have tried their hand at contracting. There is only so many times you can be accused with the glib one liners and out right lies and and in some cases just ignorance and you start to feel like you are talking to a wall.

Unlike most contractors I do everything I can to help anyone that works for me and wants to branch out and give it a try as a real EC, because its the only way I can see for us to meet in the middle and actually talk about real issues without all the propaganda and miss information that is between us now.

After I while I just feel like I am crying wolf, when we really are losing market share and we really are getting our collective union asses handed to us on bid day, and there really is a wolf.

How many times do you have to hear your colleges called rats, scabs and such by the same guys who play country club with their own shrinking membership, and not just say screw them? As far as I can tell most union men don't believe me, don't care, or don't want to know what is happening to our market, as long as they get a cut of what they are being told they deserve.

I'm a bit burnt out.

Last edited by PhatElvis; 11-20-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: keeping it real
PhatElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bward76 View Post
I don't know why but man that cracked me up.
I already put out some CHEESE and set up the RAT trap!!! Maybe more CHEESE???!!!

Last edited by sparks134; 11-20-2009 at 06:28 PM.
sparks134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #12
animal lover /rat bastard

Send a message via ICQ to wildleg

go to the online urban dictionary - it has fairly good definitions for most of those terms
As President Roosevelt said: "We have nothing to fear but fear itself. And Chuck Norris. And 滿口胡言. And Grabthar's hammer. And Gort. and 江南 Style. and rotting in the street and Zombies . . . and Wayne Griffen "
wildleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #13
IBEW 332

A rat is a non-union contractor that works on a union job off hours to avoid the backlash from the union trades. This is seen as sneaky and rat like. It's not supposed to be a term used about the workers, but has become that way.
A scab is someone who crosses a picket line to work.
A Salt is a union member working for a nonunion shop with the intent to educate wiremen on the benefits of membership, salting is done with the approval of the hall
RUSSIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSIAN View Post
A rat is a non-union contractor that works on a union job off hours to avoid the backlash from the union trades. This is seen as sneaky and rat like. It's not supposed to be a term used about the workers, but has become that way.
A scab is someone who crosses a picket line to work.
A Salt is a union member working for a nonunion shop with the intent to educate wiremen on the benefits of membership, salting is done with the approval of the hall
Its funny you guys aren't even ORGANIZED as the what the term rat means.

A rat is a non union worker.

You threw the other part in there yourself.
robnj772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #15

Here we go again. READY.........READY...........GET IT ON!!!
Old 11-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #16
Registered Member

Rat is a term used to discribe non union workers and contractors as in Rat shop,working rat,rat contractor or just simply rats. When a non union worker gets organized it is said that he has had his tail pulled off.If after they are organized they do things that violate the contract it is said that their tail was not completly pulled off.
user5941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #17
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewire View Post
Rat is a term used to discribe non union workers and contractors as in Rat shop,working rat,rat contractor or just simply rats. When a non union worker gets organized it is said that he has had his tail pulled off.If after they are organized they do things that violate the contract it is said that their tail was not completly pulled off.
What is it called when a union trained apprentice/union JW violates the contract?
rlc3854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc3854 View Post
What is it called when a union trained apprentice/union JW violates the contract?
A union guy!!!
Old 11-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc3854 View Post
A violation of the collective bargaining agreement he/she is a party to.

Basically a breach of contract.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #20
e57
New here - but not new.

Quote:
You're kidding? Not trying hump a goat here right?

For the sake of auguement that you live in the type of cave Luke Skywalker did....

Rat... Among unions, "rat" is a term for non-union employers or breakers of union contracts, and this is why unions use inflatable rats. [1] (See these last two links... )

Scab...

Salt... Basically a friggin spy intent on manipulating and poisoning whatever pole he pisses on - and should be sat in a comfy chair and berated until he cries and pees himself..... It wont take long...

e57 is offline   Reply With Quote