CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Union Topics

Old 08-29-2009, 11:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default What are the Pros and Cons of being a Union Electrical Contractor?

I'm in rural northwest North Dakota, looking to get my Masters' License soon and begin my own electrical contracting company. I plan to focus on plant work in the area. I'm in the middle of oil country, with a natural gas plant 5 miles from my house, an oil refinery beginning construction next summer 35 miles away, and a few other bio-diesel, ethanol, and power plants within an hour or two. My goal is to obtain work with a couple of these plants for expansion and maintenance.
Finding quality help is a real struggle for electrical contractors in the area (my father is one of them), especially in this rural setting. That makes me want to lean toward being union.
I would really appreciate some comments on the pros and cons of being a union contractor.

Thank You.

BeldenElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-29-2009, 11:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Maybe getting quality employees??????? That means (I WOULD ASSUME) the union has all then men tied up?

Other than that you will pay higher wages and have higher health and benefit cost.

Can't think of any other positives.

If the plants are union you may HAVE TO BE union to work there.

brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500

access to trained personnel in the number you need just for the time you need them.Manning the jobs you have is critical in building a business and being able to access qualified personel with a phone call mis very valuable.
user5941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
BDB

Rewards Points: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewire View Post
access to trained personnel in the number you need just for the time you need them.
If this was really true.
BDB is offline   Reply With Quote