CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Union Topics

Old 04-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Tattooed Sparky

Rewards Points: 10
Default Where is the IBEW work at now??? Is any Local rolling Book 2???

Hi, I was just wondering,
Is there any work out there right now?
I'm in Chicago, and our books are tight.
Our Referral Hall says it is a 10 month wait!
Gulp!!!
I am West of Chicago by an hour, and have signed at my surrounding Locals, and No one is moving.
Lots of Book 1 guys are even sitting, just waiting on their Contractors to get that next job.

Ii was signed up in Hammond Indiana, for a HUGE job that was suppose to kick off about now, (BP refinery).
They just pulled the funding for that project too.
That is now pushed off to next year.

I am soooo ready to travel, if there is any work out there.
Does any know if there are ANY books rolling???
Anywhere???

InkParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
NJ-IEC Member

Rewards Points: 2,032

Go checkout the UNION TOPICS section of this website.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Tattooed Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
Go checkout the UNION TOPICS section of this website.
Ahhhh, gotcha.

I thought the whole Forum was Union related...lol

Thanx alot Magnettica!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #4

I heard Frankfort has the closest thing around to a call out on book2 in Illinois ,some type of plant work going on .Our BA was encouraging me and another guy to go sign their book.
jsmith929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
Tattooed Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith929 View Post
I heard Frankfort has the closest thing around to a call out on book2 in Illinois ,some type of plant work going on .Our BA was encouraging me and another guy to go sign their book.
Yeah,
I heard the same thing.
Actually, I am on their book.
I am pretty high on that list now.
That job was suppose to break but for some reason
it is also being held up...

Oh well, I guess when it does come, it should be a HUGE job!
It should be well worth the wait!
Thanx JSmith929!

Anyone else know of anywhere hiring now???
lol

Last edited by InkParty; 04-16-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

We are dead in NYC......32 week wait for a job...UGGGGGHHHH!!
Melissa809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
Tattooed Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa809 View Post
Absolutely Insane!
Chicago and New York City dead???!!!

Who would have ever figured that?
I wonder how San Francisco, & Vegas are doing?

Those are 2 Big Powerhouse IBEW states,
or have been just like us also!

C'mon Obama!
Throw some $$$ into Construction!!!

My Fingers are crossed!
Old 04-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #8

We haven't worked a full year since 2002.....the local started furloughs at that time....I'm very fortunate to be working right now, though.....all street and highway lighting....so with Obama's promises of infrastructure work........
Old 04-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #9

Default Work in Texas

The books are nearly clear in San Antonio Texas. New work coming up.
Red Wiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #10

Default Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
The books are nearly clear in San Antonio Texas. New work coming up.
I should have included that San Antonio's Local # is 60 for those who don't know, don't have a computer, or don't have a tramp guide.

Beaumont Tx has work coming up, but the Exxon Plant is laying off.
Red Wiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
What happen to all that post 911 rebuilding? The freedom tower and what not!
barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:41 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 150

Las Vegas is about a month and a half out now . City center never seems to die...neither does Vegas . Hubby signed back in March . They're now rolling off book 2 . Never hurts to get cheap flights and sign the books...it's all tax deductible as long as you sign .
unionwirewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:18 AM   #13
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by barlow View Post
What happen to all that post 911 rebuilding? The freedom tower and what not!
It's NOT the freedom tower anymore, and it's uh...

World Trade Center project won't be finished until 36 years after 9/11 - PA

World Trade Center project won't be finished until 36 years after 9/11 - PA

BY Douglas Feiden
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Thursday, April 16th 2009, 10:16 AM
The World Trade Center won't be fully rebuilt and occupied until 2037 - a full 36 years after terrorists reduced it to rubble, a new study says.
The endless delays that have plagued the site since 9/11 could drag on, pushing back the project's completion nearly a generation, said a marketing analysis prepared for the Port Authority and obtained by the Daily News.
Drafted by real estate titan Cushman & Wakefield, the study predicts that the site's centerpiece, the Port Authority's 1,776-foot Freedom Tower, won't be filled with tenants until 2019. Other troubling findings included:
- It could take 12 years to fully lease Silverstein's Tower 2, a 79-story, 1,270-foot giant that will be taller than the Empire State Building. It could be finished in 2014, but it won't be filled until 2026.
- Construction wouldn't even begin until 2,026 on Tower 3, a 71-story, 1,137-foot colossus that will climb higher than the Chrysler Building. Ribbon-cutting would come in 2030 and full leasing in 2037.
The survey, the gloomiest of several studies commissioned by the agency, based its projections on anticipated market demand for office space at the 16-acre site. It comes amid contentious talks between the PA and developer Larry Silverstein that threaten to unravel plans for his three signature office towers on Church St.
The builder and his landlord have been negotiating the financing and timetables of an emotionally charged project that's already years behind schedule and billions over budget.
The Port Authority calls the study a "market-driven analysis," not an agency proposal, but Silverstein's organization differed with the dour outlook.
"The Port Authority's position seems to be based on a totally pessimistic attitude about New York's economic future," said Janno Lieber, director of Silverstein's World Trade Center redevelopment effort.
"Out view is that New York will bounce back strongly over the next five years while we are building these buildings."
In a direct shot at the PA, Liber added, "Nobody at Silverstein is ever going to give up on New York. The city desperately needs the 30,000 jobs that building these towers will provide - right now."
PA spokeswoman Candace McAdams said the Agency is seeking a realistic forecast.
"The Port Authority's obligation is to rebuild the site in the public interest based on the economic reality today," McAdams said. "That starts with keeping the memorial and the other public infrastructure on the time line and budget we've committed to. It extends to building the right amount of office space to meet what is now a very different market downtown."
The latest budget-busting delays come with Wall Street jobs evaporating, credit markets shuttered and financial firms imperiled.
Since Silverstein couldn't swing the financing in a distressed economy, he asked the PA to help finance two of the towers.
The agency nixed that bid, but in a counteroffer, said it would kick in cash for just one of the three buildings and hold off construction on the other two until an economic rebound justifies rebuilding.
dfeiden@nydailynews.com
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:47 AM   #14

Wow ...36 years from now...never would have thought ! I guess , all due respect..they do call them analysts for a reason . If youask me ...it's kinda like having a weatherman....half the time they're right , half the time they're wrong . Montana was supposed to have the Yellowstone volcano errupt quit a few times according to analysts....still waiting for it to happen . Good info though.....not saying it won't take that long . Just keeping my mind open and "waiting for change" .
Old 04-17-2009, 06:53 AM   #15

Quote:
We haven't worked a full year since 2002.....the local started furloughs at that time....I'm very fortunate to be working right now, though.....all street and highway lighting....so with Obama's promises of infrastructure work........
The word FURLOUGH leaves a bad taste in my mouth....why have a book system if you can furlough till the company takes you back ? Sounds like a person waiting to get hired for a non-union shop . No dis-respect.....but when times get tough.....the tough get balls enough to look for work out of state to get work . That's Union . I've been raised that way...so sorry if it comes across as harsh......have tools...will travel .
Old 04-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #16
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionwirewoman View Post
The word FURLOUGH leaves a bad taste in my mouth....why have a book system if you can furlough till the company takes you back ? Sounds like a person waiting to get hired for a non-union shop . No dis-respect.....but when times get tough.....the tough get balls enough to look for work out of state to get work . That's Union . I've been raised that way...so sorry if it comes across as harsh......have tools...will travel .
Some things require regional adjustments, in this case, working in NYC and living there, or in it's boroughs or surrounding suburbs is VERY expensive. Working in a power plant in Texas or North Carolina, even if it were available, is not really an option for most NYC electricians. Different regions have different payscales, but when you're tops on that list the only place to go is down. Just going 3 or 4 locals North the pay goes down 50%. Might as well stay on unemployment.

Furloughs are a way to share the work and ease the pain. Take 10 weeks off a year, so for every 4 journeymen there are 5 jobs. Sorta like working a 4 day week, which I am all for too...
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:11 AM   #17

Are we even talking about the same thing ? Furlough means in our local to not sign the books and lay low so that the contractor you worked for will re-hire you without you signing the books . We have a 4 week furlough...as I stated ...why be Union if you don't sign the books ? Union means times are good...save money so that when times are bad , you can wait it out or travel for more or less pay . I'm a 4th yr app. my hubbys been in for 24 , and his dad is retired after 50 yrs . I've travelled all over my state working for less money , renting craphole apartments... so ... Yeah times get tough....but don't low ball the guys going by the contract . I'm not sure what your contract states......so feel free to enlighten me if I'm off base . If your contract reas that you can take months off go for it.....save your money live off of it , draw unemployment if you can't travel . Life is way easier if it's simplified . Try buying a $500,000 house 2 yrs ago , 2 step kids , and both of us being unemployed for 6 months...yet we still have $10,000 in the bank .
The Following User Says Thank You to unionwirewoman For This Useful Post:
mufnman (01-25-2012)
Old 04-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #18

Thumbs up ibew work

get out your tramp book and call these locals,they have work going on or coming out of the ground -640,714,26,24,596,702,725,34,479,649,130 this summer also up state new york
clark58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #19
Electron Flow Consultant

Rewards Points: 2,068

Local 112, Tri-Cities area in WA. state is putting out book 2 hands. Nothing up and down the I-5 corridor in WA.
sparky970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #20

Okay..I will enelighten you...although lawnguylandsparky was ABSOLUTELY correct...

In local 3 we have basic guys...shop regulars who must take a 10 week furlough every year to give guys on the bench a chance to work. The rest of the membership are 26 weekers...they get hired by a contractor and are guaranteed 26 weeks of steady work..if the contractor runs out of work....the hall will send the 26 weeker right out without a wait...until he/she has completed the 26 weeks..

NOW...if an employer decides to keep you after your 26 weeks are up..you can then consider yourself basic

NOW..SOMETIMES THE LOCAL EMPLOYS A RULE THAT all shops with a certain amount of employees must lay off 10% of their basic work force..and sad to say...many times it's the newly made basic guys.

On another note......we are electricians....to HAVE to tramp around the country to make ends meet is outrageous. People have families....people have pets...i.e. responsibilities at home....people have mortgages....if I were to work out of state...there is no way I would be able to pay my mortgage here in Queens, NY.....

THAT is why we are fortunate to also have a B-fund to supplement our unemployment checks..granted...B--funds don't last for so long...but when your B-fund has run dry..the local tries to help you out.....

For instance...I have worked at the Jacob Javitz center as an extra for setting up the electric at the Auto show

All in all...though at times I get sick of living in NYC (born and raised here).... and am at times sick of being an electrician...and sick of being Local 3........

I WAKE UP...and realize how fortunate I am to be a member of the greatest freakin' local in the US..(sorry non local 3 guys)....to be living in the greatest city on this planet....and to be getting paid....and paid well...for working with my hands...something I've loved doing since I was a little girl