ABB ACS600 Run Status disabled - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > PLCs, VFDs, Motors and Controls

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JRaef

Old 05-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default ABB ACS600 Run Status disabled

I have a ABB ACS601 VFD that I'm setting up and I can't get the Run Status to come on in the Status Row of the Control Panel. Since the Run Status is Run Disabled (p. 2-3 of ACS600 firmware manual; link below), the 0.5 hp motor doesn't spin. The VFD is second hand and I was hoping I could make it work to control my motor. The control panel lights up and I get response from the Analog Inputs. The DC bus voltage is at 302 V as read off the control panel of the VFD. It seems like the VFD works and when I bought it was listed as working when taken out of service. I would like to point out that I have bypassed the line reactor and I'm using a single phase rectifier connected directly to the DC link. I understand that there are consequences associated with doing this and I accept these consequences. However, if this is the cause of my problem, I'd like to know.

Based on this, it seems like the VFD unit works I'm just missing some setting somewhere that allows me to enable the VFD to run. I went through the ABB set up procedure for the FACTORY application macro and was able to enter all my information into Group 99 (start up). Note that for 99.03 I answered yes to restore the factory settings. I did this hoping it would clear all parameters set by the previous user and restore the factory settings. I'm not sure the extent to which setting this parameter applies, so I'm also wondering if there is a parameter still set by the previous user that is not allowing me to enable the drive from the Control Panel.

After going through the Group 99 start-up settings, I get a ***WARNING*** message saying ID MAGN REQ. When I depress the Start button on the Control Panel (in Local mode), it takes me to the Actuals screen and the drive doesn't start. Again, I'm confident this is because the run status is Run Disabled. There is no fault history other than ID MAG REQ warnings and I only get those warnings because the parameter changes made to Group 99.

Has anyone had experience with this or thoughts about how to enable the Run Status on my ABB ACS600? Maybe because I've bypassed the line reactor with a single phase rectifier the VFD won't let me enable the drive? Any thoughts on how it would know this?

I'm using the FACTORY application macro for the initial set up.

Relevant (I think!) Parameter Settings on VFD:
99.03 (APPLIC RESTORE): yes (restored factory settings)
16.01 (RUN ENABLE): Yes (run enable signal active; ready to start without external signal)
116.06 (LOCAL LOCK): OFF (no local lock in use)
16.07 (PARAM SAVE): SAVE (saved parameters to memory)

All the limits for Minimum speed, Max speed, max current, and max torque meet the conditions outlined on p.3-5 of the manual.

VFD specs:
Model:ABB ACS601-0009-4-000B1200801

Motor specs:
Baldor Super-E (wired low voltage)
Power: 0.5 hp
U_nom: 3 phase 230 V
I_nom: 1.5 A

Link to manual:
https://library.e.abb.com/public/e73...g_FWmanual.pdf

Please let me know if any further information would be helpful and I'll try to round it up.

Thanks!
argentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,482

I'm not going to take the time to read that manual, but as a general rule, high-end VFDs like the ACS601 are "Vector Control", or in this case, "DTC" (Direct Torque Control, ABB's equivalent). Given that fact, the drive REQUIRES a full mathematical model of the motor equivalent circuit for it to function. You can enter the 20 or so complicated and difficult to attain motor data parameters by hand (if you are a masochist), or you can perform an "Auto-tune" procedure wherein the VFD runs the motor (or at least energizes it) the first time and measures everything going on inside to create that model. IIRC, ABB calls this an "ID Run" procedure, meaning you are going to tell the drive to run and ID (identify) the motor circuit parameters. It's a one-time procedure, UNLESS you reset the drive to factory defaults, in which case you must do it all over again. Since this drive requires it to function at all, it allows you to "bump" the motor for rotation, but it will to allow you to run it until it knows what it's running.
MikeFL likes this.
telsa (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaef View Post
I'm not going to take the time to read that manual, but as a general rule, high-end VFDs like the ACS601 are "Vector Control", or in this case, "DTC" (Direct Torque Control, ABB's equivalent). Given that fact, the drive REQUIRES a full mathematical model of the motor equivalent circuit for it to function. You can enter the 20 or so complicated and difficult to attain motor data parameters by hand (if you are a masochist), or you can perform an "Auto-tune" procedure wherein the VFD runs the motor (or at least energizes it) the first time and measures everything going on inside to create that model. IIRC, ABB calls this an "ID Run" procedure, meaning you are going to tell the drive to run and ID (identify) the motor circuit parameters. It's a one-time procedure, UNLESS you reset the drive to factory defaults, in which case you must do it all over again. Since this drive requires it to function at all, it allows you to "bump" the motor for rotation, but it will to allow you to run it until it knows what it's running.
Thanks for responding. I totally agree the ID Procedure is the way to go. My problem is that my VFD is Run Disabled and I can't Enable the drive to run. I completed the ABB Start Up Procedure, but when I tried the ID Run I could not complete this step since the drive is run disabled. So, what I need is to enable the drive so I can complete the ID Run. I guess my question is: is there any way to enable the drive to run taking into consideration information in my original post?
argentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,112

I don't know ABB that well, but is enable a digital input?
If yes, a jumper to/from common would "enable" the drive to operate.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 176
Default Autotune

As JReaf said you need to do an autotune!! Look in manual on how to do it, it will enables the drive itself.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,482

John Valdes is right, usually there is an "Enable" input that is intended to disallow power flow if the circuit is open, used in conjunction with Safety Relays. Drives ship from the factory with a jumper in place, but being that you bought it used, that jumper may have been removed and not given to you. It should be a terminal block set aside for that purpose, so all you need is a short piece of wire.

So looking at that manual now, you must have a wire From terminal 7 or 8 (+24VDC) to DI5 to enable the drive to Run.

Last edited by JRaef; 05-19-2017 at 05:52 PM.
JRaef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JRaef For This Useful Post:
John Valdes (05-21-2017)